The Rugby Thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,794

Nice to see a ref wise to Ireland’s “gamesmanship”. They’ve got away with it for far too long.

• Pross

Scrappy game, a few good moments but most of it has been a bit rubbish.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Deserved win for England. Ireland were awful, really looked like a different team from the other games. England defended well when needed but a lot of it was also poor play by Ireland (sloppy handling, missed lineouts) plus getting pinged for their dodgy breakdown tactics.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,332

Couple of good games there.

Number of forward passes that Scotland got away with was ridiculous.

• ddraver

So how long do you think the "revelation" that when England play rugby they actually achieve stuff will last this time..?

Next week?

- @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,873

That was thoroughly well deserved by England.

Ireland were made to look a very ordinary team and their forwards came off second best.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    edited March 9

I don't really understand rugby. So excuse what may be a dumb question.

With about a minute to go Ireland kick the ball up the pitch and out of play about (idk) 20 yards from where they were defending. Why doesn't that ball either be held on to for 60 seconds or punted up the pitch NFL style?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,965

It was a poor decision from a hugely experienced player.

• Pross

That’s what I thought they would do. Ireland usually ‘manage’ the game well so I expected them to just make a few charges through the forwards to run the clock down and then kick to touch. I assume they were worried they were a bit close to the line and just wanted it cleared but it wasn’t a great kick.

• Pross

For some reason, despite being almost identical score lines with minutes left, I found I couldn’t get anywhere near as excited for the second game. I guess it was because I really didn’t care who won.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,892

Sums up viewing sport in general. You have to care.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,873

They seemed to lose their way today, in the same way that France have, without DuPont.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708

If England had beaten France, is it possible that they could have completed a grand slam whilst losing the six nations to Ireland?

• ddraver

No, there is some mega bonus point thing they do to make sure that doesnt happen...

- @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    edited March 9

Simple answer, no. England lost to Scotland.

If you mean had they beaten Scotland, and beat France then they'd win it all. Ifs, buts and maybes.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean

Thanks. You're right! There appears to be three bonus points for a grand slam meaning the minimum is 23 whereas the maximum for four wins would be 22.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,791
    edited March 10

In 2019 Wales won the Grand Slam without scoring any bonus points throughout the whole tournament, and I remember people asking whether they could win the slam but lose the tournament as England had lots of try bonuses that year.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521

A Grand Slam is winning all games.

• secretsqirrel
    edited March 10

Not really you can win the championship without winning all games. But the Grand Slam as Gethin says ⬆️

Nobody will Slam this year.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,332
    edited March 10

That rule about the bonus points for a grand slam was introduced in 2017 when they first used try and losing bonus points, to make sure a grand slam would always win the tournament - in 2019 Wales got 23 points.

• TheBigBean
    edited March 10

What problem were they solving by introducing any bonus points?

• secretsqirrel

Yeah here is the 2019 table as a good example. Any excuse 😀 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

• pblakeney
    edited March 10

To encourage scoring more tries, and rewarding teams who kept it close.

Kind of like winning 4-0 is better than winning 1-0 and getting beat 1-0 is better than getting beat 4-0 in football.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,394
    edited March 10

I must have been watching a different game, I thought England were immense, the best since 2019 WC semi against NZ. As I have said throughout this thread, I am no Borthwick fan, but he was spot on yesterday, Furbank, Chessum switching, Feyi-Waboso, every call was right. We played with pace and control and the tries were brilliantly worked and executed. There will be the arguments Ireland were poor, but when you get outpaced and outpowered and are constantly on the backfoot, even the very best look shaky. I just hope Borthwick keeps the shackles off from now on.

• TheBigBean

I don't watch much rugby, but it seems an odd system to me. Leads to the situation where neither team wants the game to end, because one team wants more tries and the other wants to narrow the gap in the scores.

• ddraver

It's a world rugby thing rather than a six nations thing hence the bodge about a grand slam bonus to make sure the thing everyone thinks is the right thing happens mathematically...

I'm with you about it's...weirdness...though.

- @ddraver
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521

Parochial nonsense reinforcing our excruciating stereotype

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,965

Jiffy is just so biased