The Rugby Thread

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,952

Another bombshell. Firstly the indestructible JPR and now the mercurial Barry John leaves the field of play.

It’s amazing to read the HYS messages of condolences on the BBC’s article about his passing.

The majority are from English, Scottish or Irish.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,164

It always comes as a bit of a shock when I see how many caps current players, who seem to have only been playing a few years, have. It gets brought into even more contrast when you see that someone like Barry John had 25 Welsh caps in a 6 year international career. I was also surprised that he only scored 90 points, it seems very low for an outside half by modern standards although something I read said it was a Welsh record at the time. Arwel Thomas scored 211 points in 23 caps.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,835

The value of a try went from 3 to 4 points in 1971. 5 Nations instead of 6 Nations, with the occasional tours with test matches. No autumn internationals or world cups with warm ups. Opportunities were a bit sparse I suppose.

• Pross

Yeah, but most points for the top scorers came from the boot. I wasn’t sure if kick points changed or whether someone else did the bulk of the kicking (I seem to recall being told one of the forward used to take the kicks for Wales around that time) Place kicking was much harder then too with no kicking tee, heavier balls and muddier pitches. Still a surprise that he averaged less than 4 points a game though.

• secretsqirrel

Ah kicking forwards. John Taylor the flanker or a bit later after BJ I think, Allan Martin the lock.

I think scoring was low then anyway. I don't think there were many cricket scores unless it was against minor rugby countries and I doubt if a cap was awarded for those.

Must admit it is a bit before my time so relying on stuff I’ve read or what my dad told me 🤔

• I think a large part of Barry John's status was cemented on the 1971 Lions Tour. Even though his Wales points total may be seen as modest, he scored 188 points in 17 games on the Lions tour which is incredible.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,402

. . . also a player gets a cap now for coming off the bench - there wasn't even a bench in Barry John's day

Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross

Yeah, that was my original point. The amount of caps some players have these days for the amount of time they've actually spent on the pitch is ridiculous. Also, a lot of games in the past wouldn't have been capped.

• secretsqirrel

e.g Wales only started awarding caps for games against Argentina in 1991 although they had played several times before that. So its probably fair to assume that other than against the 5 nations and the big 3 SH teams, Welsh caps were not awarded. So we would be talking no caps against Fiji, Romania, Japan etc.

• secretsqirrel

Predict - 3 home wins

Hope - 3 away wins

😕

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,086
    edited February 10

I predict home, away, home wins.

Edit :- I had my games muddled up. Away, home, home.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928

Well, that was a crap decision

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,086

What a boring game, kicking killed it.

Maybe a rule revision is required to allow more counter attacking.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Scotland were so unlucky that the ref called it no try, as they hardly ever change the decision. No question that they would have won with any other call.

Jeez, how bad is ITV’s commentary compared to the Turnout at Murrayfield?

It’s so amateurish in comparison.

• secretsqirrel

Ooof penalty try and another yellow.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,409
    edited February 10

I said in the pub before that this has the potential to be a really dull game and so far...

On the other hand, WTF has happened to France this winter!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • A lot of static pick and go stuff, but a nice try separating the two teams.

It’s very physical.

• I just love the box kick, it’s such a safe option.

ffs.

• Pross

So the Welsh bench had a lot of the same shite that started last week and unsurprisingly when they came on it all fell apart. Need to find an alternative to Elias at hooker. Talk about giving away caps, bringing on Ieuan’s boy for the last play with the clock red is a farce.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,539

It was a dribbling nose of a performance from Wales who, as so often, gave possession away through choosing kicking options where retention was key.

Gatland’s “blooding” players to prepare a future for Robert Howley.

• ddraver

It is a travesty that such a "huge" fixture is now just so.....dull

- @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,017

Was travelling back from the snow yesterday, so not seen much of the games, but get the impression that neither the England or the Welsh fans will be happy.

And the Scots fans should be furious with the officials at the end. Clearly a try and the TMO bottled it and the ref wasn't using his own eyes properly.

• gethinceri

Nobody bottled it, the laws of the game were applied.

Ref gave decision on the field, based on what he saw, the TMO had to give “clear evidence” that a try had been scored, he couldn’t.

• Dorset_Boy

Except the evidence was there.

Also the are TV pictures showing the ref intently looking at the ruck, with the ball down. So the ref wasn't looking properly (or looking in the wrong place) when he said there was no grounding. Given the TV pictures clearly showed the ball coming off the yellow boot, and going down, what was it then touching if not the ground?

Part of the issue of inconsistency in rugby is the different questions the ref puts to the TMO in such situations.

• gethinceri

I agree with your closing sentence. That is why the try couldn’t be awarded.

• Pross

This match is becoming a no contest. Great try saving tackle by the Italian 9 just now though. Ireland are a level above any other team in the tournament.

Wales are just short in a few positions I suppose at least they are giving youngsters a run out. Lacking pace on the right wing, Adam’s is clearly unfit, there was one beautiful break by Winnett yesterday where he passed it out to Adams and as soon as he took the ball you knew he wasn’t going to take his man on. The English players knew it too and just made sure the inside pass wasn’t on. A few years ago Adams would have either stood his man up and stepped him or tried to go through him.

• ddraver

Bad weekend for the forum to go down, season opening weekend and 6N...

What has actually happened to les blues to go from "world cup favourites" to sneaking a draw with the azzuri by a gist of wind and a post?

Other games went as expected really.

- @ddraver
  • Surely it can't just be the loss of DuPont?

• Dorset_Boy

May it be that the home world cup, with such a big disappointment, has just left them with a bit of a hangover? But how unlucky were Italy at th end. Both the ball falling off the tee with 10 seconds left on the shot clock, and France getting away with encroaching on the kick.

Scotland were ruthless on Saturday, but England's attack fell apart after the first 15 minutes - the passing was terrible, the catching not much better! Cam Redpath's break and Finn R's kick pass for the hattrick try were pretty special.

Neither Ireland nor Wales played well, though Ireland showed how to score when on the oppos line - pick and go, pick and go, pick and go anfd then get held up, versus short pass, drive, short pass, drive, sort pass, score.

I can see England putting in a semi-final like performance against Ireland at TW1 is the next round, and possibly winning. Equally I can see Ireland winning by 20-30 points!