Dumoulin stops racing, future uncertain

Comments

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    daniel_b said:

pblakeney said:

am currently contemplating if I can get away with bike-buying logic when purchasing a new coffee machine for a forthcoming house move- i.e. tell the other half it cost a few quid so that it doesn't sound like a blag, but still no where near the true price.... Like a good coffee - there's a balance to be had.

Present her with the figure that you are currently spending on take away/sit in coffee per annum.
    This is a good point, except at the moment that's 2/5 of nothing really.

Have a machine that's useable but not great, or a stove top pot thing.
    The machine could always 'break' though meaning you have to buy a new one.
    Indeed - or it could be a nice 'new home' gift from work....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

RichN95. said:

the old GC kings of Froome/Thomas/Dumoulin etc. at this point look dead... Because while they've been trying to regain top form following injury, the new guard such as Roglic/MVDP/Pog etc. have raised their game.

A reminder here that Roglic is older than Dumoulin
    His late arrival to cycling presumably gives him a bit of extra life, no?

Sure. But the 'new generation' narrative that the media are so keen to push includes people in their 30s
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw

Bringing the thread back to pin the tail on the donkey reasons why Tom is taking a sabbatical, Covid appears to be forcing a change of the guard, the old GC kings of Froome/Thomas/Dumoulin etc. at this point look dead... Because while they've been trying to regain top form following injury, the new guard such as Roglic/MVDP/Pog etc. have raised their game.

Tom doesn't appear to have recovered after his knee injury to be a GC contender for now, so perhaps he simply doesn't fancy playing the super domestique role while he tries to find that missing few extra percent.

It does seem he's been 'chasing it' ever since his injury. There must also be a huge amount of pressure in being the big Dutch name on the big Dutch team, even when they have other superstars in the ranks. Similar to Pinot at FDJ.
    You'd assume as well he was on a very good contract, and stressed about justifying it - hence the 'unpaid leave' possibly lifting a weight from his shoulders.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

Filter FTW at home.

No point trying to create a rubbish version of espresso.

Yeah I've a Chemex filter which I use most often. Also an aeropress, 2 different sized Moka pots and 3 different sized French presses... They're all nice in their own way. The Aeropress I don't think adds much over a filter, as it is basically a filter method with a plunger on top. It is a bit quicker than the standard Chemex method though.

I like the Moka, it's not the same as a proper espresso but it makes a nicer Americano type coffee than the other methods I have.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yeah, the benefit of the aeropress is speed and cleanliness IMO

I prefer my V60s most of all though unless I can find a proper cafe who actually know what they re doing.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I have my Aldi orange squash in a pint glass and fill it up from a tap. Always orange squash then water. Never the other way around.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593

RichN95. said:

the old GC kings of Froome/Thomas/Dumoulin etc. at this point look dead... Because while they've been trying to regain top form following injury, the new guard such as Roglic/MVDP/Pog etc. have raised their game.

A reminder here that Roglic is older than Dumoulin
    His late arrival to cycling presumably gives him a bit of extra life, no?
    He doesn't show his age, looks about 26.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593

daniel_b said:

pblakeney said:

am currently contemplating if I can get away with bike-buying logic when purchasing a new coffee machine for a forthcoming house move- i.e. tell the other half it cost a few quid so that it doesn't sound like a blag, but still no where near the true price.... Like a good coffee - there's a balance to be had.

Present her with the figure that you are currently spending on take away/sit in coffee per annum.
    This is a good point, except at the moment that's 2/5 of nothing really.

Have a machine that's useable but not great, or a stove top pot thing.
    The machine could always 'break' though meaning you have to buy a new one.
    Indeed - or it could be a nice 'new home' gift from work....
    Yep that would work nicely.

A friend of mine bought a pair of chinese carbon clinchers some time ago, he sold them last year, unbeknown to his partner, and bought some 2nd hand Enve wheels - these will be coming out in due course, and the story is going to be that these are the old chinese wheels he bought many moons ago, and he has simply slapped some new decals on them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I feel sad for Tom if the pressure of his job means he no longer enjoys being on his bike.

I wish him well.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Why do grown up people have to justify buying something they like? Seems weird to have to ask for permission with your own money. Sure, with a family you can't just splurge on every indulgence all the time, but it's rather weak to have to lie about occasionally spending your money on something you really like/want/need. 🤭🤔😛
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    m.r.m. said:

Why do grown up people have to justify buying something they like? Seems weird to have to ask for permission with your own money. Sure, with a family you can't just splurge on every indulgence all the time, but it's rather weak to have to lie about occasionally spending your money on something you really like/want/need. 🤭🤔😛

I also find it odd when people brag about overtaking someone with ten grand bike on their cheap bike. I’d rather be the guy who can afford a ten grand bike.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Well, not entirely; you also want to be the guy with good legs. You want to have both. 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

I also find it odd when people brag about overtaking someone with ten grand bike on their cheap bike. I’d rather be the guy who can afford a ten grand bike.
    So you want to be bianchimuncher how very strange ;)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

I'd rather be the person who can afford a £10k bike, but is actually fit enough and fast enough to be able to take over people who are on a £10k bike whilst riding a cheap bike, because those people riding a £10k bike are overcompensating for not being fit enough and fast enough through trying to buy performance...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I'd rather be Chris Froome talent and kit wise, but what ya gonna do?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • yorkshireraw
    m.r.m. said:

I wasn't being entirely serious....
  • yorkshireraw

How much you looking to spend?

I bought a new machine to replace my old one (I had for 9 years) and it's the best thing I've done in lockdown by far.
    depends who's asking lol. I'd be ok spending a good few hundred - esp if it's one that's going to be well used and last a while.
    I have a few options for you, depending on your tolerance for faff and if you're interested in 'upgrading' yourself or not or if you just want it to make coffee and forget about it.
    middle-faff-ness, cheers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited January 2021

How much you looking to spend?

I bought a new machine to replace my old one (I had for 9 years) and it's the best thing I've done in lockdown by far.
    depends who's asking lol. I'd be ok spending a good few hundred - esp if it's one that's going to be well used and last a while.
    I have a few options for you, depending on your tolerance for faff and if you're interested in 'upgrading' yourself or not or if you just want it to make coffee and forget about it.
    middle-faff-ness, cheers.
    Sage bambino is what I got and it's the nearest you get to a fire and forget espresso machine. Decent milk - will even froth the milk on its own for you. I love it, but then I hate tinkering and once you've dialled it in which is straightforward, it's great and the milk frothing is fantastic.

Otherwise the Gaggia Classic Pro is your go to. Bit more room to faff around and mod it if that's your thing and there's a big community there.

I'd sort of compare the sage to apple and the gaggia to android.

If it was my money I'd get either of those (and I did!).
  • yorkshireraw
    Cheers Rick
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    elbowloh said:

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

I'd rather be the person who can afford a £10k bike, but is actually fit enough and fast enough to be able to take over people who are on a £10k bike whilst riding a cheap bike, because those people riding a £10k bike are overcompensating for not being fit enough and fast enough through trying to buy performance...
    Yeah I think if push came to shove I'd take the fitness - you can't buy that, it's ephemeral and comes from hard work, perseverance and genetics (the latter to a greater or lesser degree depending on how lucky you are).

I don't begrudge anyone their expensive bike purchases though.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    edited January 2021

elbowloh said:

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Yeah I think if push came to shove I'd take the fitness - you can't buy that, it's ephemeral and comes from hard work, perseverance and genetics (the latter to a greater or lesser degree depending on how lucky you are).

I don't begrudge anyone their expensive bike purchases though.
    Maybe you should take the bike then work hard and persevere to get the fitness, instead of having the fitness handed to you on a plate then 😏
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Expensive bikes don't really make that much difference anyway.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2021
    Theres nohing wrong with owning a ten grand bike apart from hearing people making comments that theyd rather not be the person who owns a ten grand bike theyd rather be the person who goes faster.

Hats just whining and jealousy.

Personally id rather be the giy who can buy the bike he wants amd rides im the way hat suits ,e at the time. Fastest isnt always best.

In any case having a ten grand bike AND crushing everyone is good. But of course grows tiresome and is very clubbie.

• david37 said:

Theres nohing wrong with owning a ten grand bike apart from hearing people making comments that theyd rather not be the person who owns a ten grand bike theyd rather be the person who goes faster.

Hats just whining and jealousy.

Personally id rather be the giy who can buy the bike he wants amd rides im the way hat suits ,e at the time. Fastest isnt always best.

In any case having a ten grand bike AND crushing everyone is good. But of course grows tiresome and is very clubbie.

There is nothing wrong about owning a 10 grand bike apart from boasting about it on a forum you mean.
    Just say what the bike is and leave it at that.
    Price tagging it is just tacky.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Part of me thinks a 10 grand bike shows a lack of knowledge about bikes - it's just spending money for the sake of spending money . A bit like say Balenciaga trainers where the appeal seems to be that they are more expensive rather than them being expensive because they are better.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Part of me thinks a 10 grand bike shows a lack of knowledge about bikes - it's just spending money for the sake of spending money . A bit like say Balenciaga trainers where the appeal seems to be that they are more expensive rather than them being expensive because they are better.

You can say that about anything though. Why buy a tin of heinz baked beans when a 20p value range tin is essentially the same??

Life is too short. You work to earn money and should spend that on whatever is important to you.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited January 2021
    Anyway, back on topic, has there been any more info about why TD has made this decision?

I watched the jumbo visma video on YouTube following them at the vuelta:
    https://youtu.be/7aHuolgTbYU
    And it was clear really early that he wasn't focused. Tbh it raises questions of whether he left the race because of the injury or if that was used as an excuse.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    redvision said:

You can say that about anything though. Why buy a tin of heinz baked beans when a 20p value range tin is essentially the same??

Wrong example - I am a big fan of buying cheap but some things are definitely cheaper and nastier
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    redvision said:

Life is too short. You work to earn money and should spend that on whatever is important to you.

Yes but that's a slightly different point - I agree people should spend money on what gives them pleasure - but people will always judge the choices others make - what gives them pleasure.

If there were 2 tins of beans - one labelled as Heinz costing 50p and one labelled as "Heinz Twice The Price" which were advertised as the same product but costing twice as much who wouldn't judge the person buying the Heinz Twice The Price ? You'd either think they just wanted to advertise their wealth or, as I do with the bikes, that they just lacked the knowledge that the same product could be bought cheaper.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]