Dumoulin stops racing, future uncertain

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

A barista, which is not a barrister, in a busy bar in Milan can churn out almost a thousand espresso a day... which is one every 30 seconds or so. Over here, most so called baristas take almost 5 minutes to produce one... and that's the difference, in a nutshell... here cafes are overstaffed and therefore they have to pay them little, whereas someone who can do a coffee in 30 seconds is an asset and you might want to keep him/her.

No complaints from me. Have never had a bad coffee in Italy.

Cannot say the same for the majority of coffee places in the UK.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    am currently contemplating if I can get away with bike-buying logic when purchasing a new coffee machine for a forthcoming house move- i.e. tell the other half it cost a few quid so that it doesn't sound like a blag, but still no where near the true price.... Like a good coffee - there's a balance to be had.
  • rick_chasey

am currently contemplating if I can get away with bike-buying logic when purchasing a new coffee machine for a forthcoming house move- i.e. tell the other half it cost a few quid so that it doesn't sound like a blag, but still no where near the true price.... Like a good coffee - there's a balance to be had.

How much you looking to spend?

I bought a new machine to replace my old one (I had for 9 years) and it's the best thing I've done in lockdown by far.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

A barista, which is not a barrister, in a busy bar in Milan can churn out almost a thousand espresso a day... which is one every 30 seconds or so. Over here, most so called baristas take almost 5 minutes to produce one... and that's the difference, in a nutshell... here cafes are overstaffed and therefore they have to pay them little, whereas someone who can do a coffee in 30 seconds is an asset and you might want to keep him/her.

I think that a major difference is that in Milan the barrista is churning out a load of espressos, over here barristas are churning out cappafrappamochinos with 2 types of syrup and cream on top, which take a bit longer.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    But how many espressos will Tom Dumoulin be able to make when he becomes a barista?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • elbowloh

RichN95. said:

But how many espressos will Tom Dumoulin be able to make when he becomes a barista?

If I've understood this thread correctly, we could reasonably expect him to churn them out at a steady rate for hours, but, if he suddenly becomes capable of handling the lunchtime rush at twice the rate, we should get suspicious.
    He just can't do the numbers, so wont make the barrista team. The thought of front of house and having to be nice to people has prompted him to retire from the cafe business.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Present her with the figure that you are currently spending on take away/sit in coffee per annum.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    elbowloh said:

RichN95. said:

If I've understood this thread correctly, we could reasonably expect him to churn them out at a steady rate for hours, but, if he suddenly becomes capable of handling the lunchtime rush at twice the rate, we should get suspicious.
    He just can't do the numbers, so wont make the barrista team. The thought of front of house and having to be nice to people has prompted him to retire from the cafe business.

But he's doing best numbers of his career. The same as when he was employee of the month. He doesn't understand how this new kid Tad is doing the numbers he is while using the machine like a junior.
  • And will nobody ever shut up about that time he needed to take a loo break just before the lunchtime rush?
  • rick_chasey

And will nobody ever shut up about that time he needed to take a loo break just before the lunchtime rush?

Too much coffee, innit.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    😊😊

good work boys.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

ddraver said:

davidof said:

How hard is it to make an espresso?

Properly?

Very!
    Yeah. Half of the problem are people with no taste trying to do something 'new' with coffee.

Stick to what is nice rather than novel. There's a reason you want your coffee to be naturally coffee like and sweet, and not sour and acrid.
    I was told you should try Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee if you don't like the sour stuff. I hate all coffee and marked it equally bad as all the others.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    edited January 2021

I bought a new machine to replace my old one (I had for 9 years) and it's the best thing I've done in lockdown by far.
    I bought my first espresso machine at the start of lockdown. It must have paid for itself several times over by now and my stuff is equally as good as the better coffee shops I use (far better than most of the large chains, especially that rubbish from the company that originated in Seattle).

Edit - it's also Pro Race related as the company I buy from is run by an old friend who is a soigneur at Ineos.
  • If you drink coffee with sugar (as you should), then there is an old fashioned Italian way to make an espresso without an espresso machine, or in other words to trap some air and get that lovely cream.
    Buy a Bialetti Moka (around 35 quid at John Lewis), put it on the stove with the lid open and mix the first few drops of coffee that percolates with your sugar in your espresso cup, whipping it to an off white thick cream while the rest of the coffee percolates (lid closed). then simply add the rest of the coffee to your mix and stir...

Et voilla', espresso on the cheap

I have loads of other kitchen based bodges learnt back home that save you buying expensive stuff... just ask... B)
    left the forum March 2023
  • yorkshireraw
    pblakeney said:

Present her with the figure that you are currently spending on take away/sit in coffee per annum.
    This is a good point, except at the moment that's 2/5 of nothing really.

Have a machine that's useable but not great, or a stove top pot thing.
  • yorkshireraw

depends who's asking lol. I'd be ok spending a good few hundred - esp if it's one that's going to be well used and last a while.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2021

pblakeney said:

You are preparing for lockdown easing. 😉 In the meantime, stove top thing as Ugo says above (although I got mine cheaper) is my method.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Filter FTW at home.

No point trying to create a rubbish version of espresso.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    I have moka pot (cow hide pattern) and for xmas I got a cheap gaggia (viva deluxe) unit.

It's not one for the afficianados, but makes perfectly good coffee for me. As good as or better than most coffee places i used to go to.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    RichN95. said:

just as long as he sticks to making them and not drinking them, one film of tom caught short was enough.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

pblakeney said:

The machine could always 'break' though meaning you have to buy a new one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey

depends who's asking lol. I'd be ok spending a good few hundred - esp if it's one that's going to be well used and last a while.
    I have a few options for you, depending on your tolerance for faff and if you're interested in 'upgrading' yourself or not or if you just want it to make coffee and forget about it.
  • elbowloh
    Should we switch to the coffee thread?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Bringing the thread back to pin the tail on the donkey reasons why Tom is taking a sabbatical, Covid appears to be forcing a change of the guard, the old GC kings of Froome/Thomas/Dumoulin etc. at this point look dead... Because while they've been trying to regain top form following injury, the new guard such as Roglic/MVDP/Pog etc. have raised their game.

Tom doesn't appear to have recovered after his knee injury to be a GC contender for now, so perhaps he simply doesn't fancy playing the super domestique role while he tries to find that missing few extra percent.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2021

the old GC kings of Froome/Thomas/Dumoulin etc. at this point look dead... Because while they've been trying to regain top form following injury, the new guard such as Roglic/MVDP/Pog etc. have raised their game.

A reminder here that Roglic is older than Dumoulin
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Roglic his power is nothing special really. Geriant Thomas and Chris Froome can easily beat him if they are in shape again.

The only person they have to worry about is Pogacar. I don’t think Geraint Thomas can beat him in a straight fight. He is too strong.

However luckly for Geraint Thomas, the team of Pogacar is useless as he has to win Grand Tours without a team solo.

If Ineos Granadiers ever signs Pogacar, they will probably start a new dominating era of cycling like they did with Froome.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

the old GC kings of Froome/Thomas/Dumoulin etc. at this point look dead... Because while they've been trying to regain top form following injury, the new guard such as Roglic/MVDP/Pog etc. have raised their game.

His late arrival to cycling presumably gives him a bit of extra life, no?
  • pblakeney

RichN95. said:

His late arrival to cycling presumably gives him a bit of extra life, no?
    Maybe. But then again, ski jumping may have a toll too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • yorkshireraw
    ddraver said:

Filter FTW at home.

No point trying to create a rubbish version of espresso.

Do you just have it drip straight into your bloodstream via an IV? That would be very pro-race.