Nostalgia Thread

123457»

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Getting an appointment to see an actual GP on the day rather than a phone call in 3 weeks time.
    Also, am I the only one on here who can remember home visits by a doctor?

I had a home visit when I was about 8 with food poisoning.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Whooping cough for me. Think it was 8 weeks off school.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065

Getting an appointment to see an actual GP on the day rather than a phone call in 3 weeks time.

Not the only one, but it was a long, long, long time ago.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635
    Plastic straws.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yikes, whooping cough? Too old to have got a vaccine?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

A simple appointment would be nice these days. And I don’t mean Covid times specifically.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    edited May 2021
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

A simple appointment would be nice these days. And I don’t mean Covid times specifically.
    My theory is that they hope you'll be better before getting an appointment and not bother. Flip side, my wife reports that they have "regulars" popping in for nothing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    We've had no problems getting appointments with GP or nurse during COVID, pretty much every time seen the same day, sometimes " can you come now?"

Do have to request online though rather than call.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate

Yikes, whooping cough? Too old to have got a vaccine?

Don't know what went wrong. I think in those days kids were meant to get a booster at around 5 years old. I think i missed it for some reason and got whooping cough at 5 years old when I started school.
    I honestly thought we had got rid of it but there are still cases about in the UK apparently.
    I still remember the panic of not being able to breathe following the coughing fits.
    Must be hellish for a parent to watch, waiting for their child to be able to take a breath.
  • ballysmate
    elbowloh said:

We've had no problems getting appointments with GP or nurse during COVID, pretty much every time seen the same day, sometimes " can you come now?"

Fuck me! The same day? Who's your doctor, Doctor Finlay?
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

censored me! The same day? Who's your doctor, Doctor Finlay?
    They're bloody shoite when you get there though. They prescribed some ABs for two year old that the hospital said a) he doesn't need ABs and if he did, definitely not the type he was given (not suitable for a 2 yr old).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,612
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

My theory is that they hope you'll be better before getting an appointment and not bother. Flip side, my wife reports that they have "regulars" popping in for nothing.
    I get the impression from the GP sister in law that they spend 90% of their time on 10% of the population.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727
    capt_slog said:

I'm nostalgic for the time when, if people did something, they considered other people that it might affect.

It's been a subtle change but now it seems to be, "I want to do THIS, wtf has it got to do with you?" as general rule.

Yes, now you’ve highlighted it, I agree

Attitude! Is it a generational thing? Forever evolving :/

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120

They still do them, in normal times, just not as routinely as they used to. They take something like 3-5 times as long as a regular appointment.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Probably brought on by listening to too many Eagles tracks over a few drinks this evening but......
    I realised that I really miss all those business trips I made to the USA. All those commuter flights, sitting waiting for my flight at O'Hare (and many others) , edgy business meetings, some time off for good behaviour to see the sights but most of all the general buzz.
    The fact that there were decisions to be made and they usually were - things I wanted, even things I never.
    It's about 18 years since I retired and I still love going back there as tourist.
    I probably don't miss the one day tripto Dallas though :)
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut