Nostalgia Thread

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Photograph Albums

Real ones I mean, that you can handle and view without being on-line or even having electricity for that matter.

I know other peoples can be a little tedious and maybe even boring but your own for your own enjoyment, I miss that

You should make one. Someone gave me an empty album, a couple of Christmas ago (I'm into photography, loving all the camera chat in here) and I haven't used it yet, to my shame.

That might be a nice Lockdown 3.0 project.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    Ben6899 said:

Photograph Albums

Real ones I mean, that you can handle and view without being on-line or even having electricity for that matter.

I know other peoples can be a little tedious and maybe even boring but your own for your own enjoyment, I miss that

You should make one. Someone gave me an empty album, a couple of Christmas ago (I'm into photography, loving all the camera chat in here) and I haven't used it yet, to my shame.

I'm doing the reverse.
    My Lockdown 3.0 project is digitising my photo albums. Time consuming.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Purple custard following your school dinner.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

walking through snow

Only to be sent home again because the shitty boiler system never worked properly.

Wow. I'd forgotten about this!
    Sitting in class wearing jerseys and jackets.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Ben6899
    pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

walking through snow

Only to be sent home again because the shitty boiler system never worked properly.

Sitting in class wearing jerseys and jackets.

Puddles of water under everyone's desk!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

walking through snow

My comprehensive school was 10 miles away. The coach company was based at the top of the valleys where they got the worst snow and had to negotiate a 2 mile, 10% road. The drivers would usually manage to pick us up around normal time, we'd get there and walk to school only to find it wasn't opening and the bus had gone back to base. It was then a case of getting a chit from the school office for the service bus and then hoping they were running.
  • Ben6899
    Pross said:

Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

walking through snow

My comprehensive school was 10 miles away. The coach company was based at the top of the valleys where they got the worst snow and had to negotiate a 2 mile, 10% road. The drivers would usually manage to pick us up around normal time, we'd get there and walk to school only to find it wasn't opening and the bus had gone back to base. It was then a case of getting a chit from the school office for the service bus and then hoping they were running.

Ha, slightly different experience to mine. Depending which way I walked, my comp (an up its own ar$e former grammar, which I hated) was just over 1km away. If we got sent home, my only worries were a) is my mum home (worked intermittently through my school years) and b) if she isn't, did I remember my house keys?

There was always the option of heading to a mate's house, but I liked to go home and get my work done (hard worker).
    Ben

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I remember being sent home once from grammar school when the snow was really bad.
    Don't recall being sent home from junior school (I admit it's a long time ago).
    Not wanting to come across all 4 Yorkshiremen but I recall the heating going off and being instructed to put our coats on.
  • Ben6899

I remember being sent home once from grammar school when the snow was really bad.
    Don't recall being sent home from junior school (I admit it's a long time ago).
    Not wanting to come across all 4 Yorkshiremen but I recall the heating going off and being instructed to put our coats on.

Coats? You were lucky...
    Ben

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited January 2021
    I can beat that - we were snowed in at school for a week once.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Photograph Albums

I'm doing the reverse.
    I did that. Took ages. I was disappointed with all the colours though, so it required lots of time understanding how to process them afterwards which I never found. The positive is I now have a backup of the photos, but I wish I had scanned the photos and not the negatives.

• pblakeney
    edited January 2021

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Photograph Albums

I'm doing the reverse.
    I did that. Took ages. I was disappointed with all the colours though, so it required lots of time understanding how to process them afterwards which I never found. The positive is I now have a backup of the photos, but I wish I had scanned the photos and not the negatives.

Top tips for anyone attempting this. A decent digital camera will get good copies from prints (removed from sleeves) and colour shifts can be sorted with white balance tweaks. You have to be careful with light direction on glossy prints, and use natural daylight.
    I've gotten details out of shadows that are not visible on the print to the naked eye.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Photograph Albums

I'm doing the reverse.

Top tips for anyone attempting this. A decent digital camera will get good copies from prints (removed from sleeves) and colour shifts can be sorted with white balance tweaks. You have to be careful with light direction on glossy prints, and use natural daylight.
    I've gotten details out of shadows that are not visible on the print to the naked eye.
    I'm not so good on the white balance tweaks. Also, I think older negatives came up worse than newer ones. Most of the problems are with scenery shots. Some portraits look completely fine.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Photograph Albums

I'm doing the reverse.

I'm not so good on the white balance tweaks. Also, I think older negatives came up worse than newer ones. Most of the problems are with scenery shots. Some portraits look completely fine.
    Orange hue? Can be improved but hard to resolve completely.
    Seems to have been common for a period. Blame the film. Strangely some softwares provide a method to replicate it. Can't see why. Nostalgia? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bompington
    pblakeney said:

Oi, this is about photography, keep that sort of stuff for the US politics threads ;)

• elbowloh
    Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

walking through snow

Ha, slightly different experience to mine. Depending which way I walked, my comp (an up its own ar$e former grammar, which I hated) was just over 1km away. If we got sent home, my only worries were a) is my mum home (worked intermittently through my school years) and b) if she isn't, did I remember my house keys?

There was always the option of heading to a mate's house, but I liked to go home and get my work done (hard worker).
    Our front door was never locked during the day...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Photograph Albums

I'm doing the reverse.

Seems to have been common for a period. Blame the film. Strangely some softwares provide a method to replicate it. Can't see why. Nostalgia? 😉
    No. Too much green. Think neoen trees. And blue seems not quite right. So any sea/lake shot with trees looks bad. Plus for some reason any landscape shot isn't sharp, but anything close looks fine.

I tried to play around a bit with them and batch process them, but I think it needs more skill.

As I said I have the memories even if they aren't great.
  • pblakeney

I tried to play around a bit with them and batch process them, but I think it needs more skill.

As I said I have the memories even if they aren't great.

Time consuming, but I process all shots individually.
    It is a Brucey bonus that I have the time these days. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    As a student I had the time to go to photography lectures and learn how to use a dark room. I didn't have the money for a nice camera though.

Now I have a nice camera with no time to use or even remember how to use. Does nice portaits though with a fixed lens.
  • ballysmate
    Vick used to have a proper strong smell compared to today's weak stuff.
  • ballysmate
    People using common sense to determine if something was fit to eat or had gone.
    Not slavishly following sell by or best by dates.
  • elbowloh

Does anyone slavishly follow best by dates?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    I know people who will not touch stuff that is ood
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

"Best before" is loosely advisory, "Eat by" should be heeded.

Nostalgia, being able to get up to all sorts of stuff without having to worry about it showing up on t'internet.
    See other thread.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,840
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Yebbut...

...00:01 after the date... or breakfast time... or maybe dinner... or...?

BB... I tend to do sniff tests... well, unless it's a uncooked vegetable, in which case, BB dates are totally pointless.

EB.. well, probably more than a day I might know I'm taking a bit of a risk.. depends what it is... raw poultry, probably no, beef, it's just 'aged' a bit more.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693

Vick used to have a proper strong smell compared to today's weak stuff.

Ralgex and the like used to properly burn when you rubbed it in. Nowadays its luke warm.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Yebbut...

...00:01 after the date... or breakfast time... or maybe dinner... or...?

BB... I tend to do sniff tests... well, unless it's a uncooked vegetable, in which case, BB dates are totally pointless.

EB.. well, probably more than a day I might know I'm taking a bit of a risk.. depends what it is... raw poultry, probably no, beef, it's just 'aged' a bit more.
    Does beef have a EB? Not sure. Anyway, might be a way to get to race weight. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bompington
    The old nostalgia threads used to be much better than this one
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

You were born either boy or girl and that was the way you stayed.

Good, old-fashioned bigotry and intolerance.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam said:

You were born either boy or girl and that was the way you stayed.

Good, old-fashioned bigotry and intolerance.

Somehow I don’t think that’s gone missing