Who is your rider of 2020?

Comments

• davieb78 said:

Those sages among us who voted from Primoz Roglic were right.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/primoz-roglic-wins-prestigious-velo-dor-prize/

No second and third as yet, although unsurprisingly Julian Alaphillipe took the award for best french rider.

Pretty bad that article on LBL. Makes it sound as though Alaphillipe actually won it and was then relegated from the win, when of course we all know that was not the case because he sat up like a loon.
    Yes, doesn't mention he got relegated from second place.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I sort of highlighted this before...I've really enjoyed expanding my horizons and have watched a lot more womens cycling.

What about Annemiek van Vleuten? What about Anna Van der Breggen? Vos?

Shouln't the thread title be "Pick from this narrow list of male road cyclists".

I still say my rider of the year is Alvarado. she's been absolutely bossing it.
    Insert bike here:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    edited December 2020

Those sages among us who voted from Primoz Roglic were right.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/primoz-roglic-wins-prestigious-velo-dor-prize/

No second and third as yet, although unsurprisingly Julian Alaphillipe took the award for best french rider.

Pah. Ridiculous. Too much focus on palmares.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    mpatts said:

I sort of highlighted this before...I've really enjoyed expanding my horizons and have watched a lot more womens cycling.

Shouln't the thread title be "Pick from this narrow list of male road cyclists".

She isn't as good a rider as anyone in the list.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    mpatts said:

Shouldn't the thread title be "Pick from this narrow list of male road cyclists".

It's all fairly predictable. They need to open their eyes, there's more to cycling than just road. It's the same in motorsport were people just think it's F1; it isn't.

Was Alvarado even on the list; CX Elite World champion, U23 MTB XCO race winner, plus a bronze medal in the U23 XCO Worlds - turned up the next day at a CX race and won.

Saying that, you've only got to see the stuff most of cycling journalists put out; they wouldn't know a CX/ MTB if it ran over them.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    gsk82 said:

mpatts said:

She isn't as good a rider as anyone in the list.
    I guess your definition of good and my definition might well be a bit different.
    Insert bike here:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    mpatts said:

She wasn’t that great last weekend.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    That's bollocks, but it also proves the point. Coming second at a CX World Cup race is a noteworthy achievement for most, but Alvarado has been so good for the past 18 months that second is considered a failure.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Well, not sure which way to go with this one. Roglic for the high-profile GCs, the collapse and comeback; WVA for the consistency and breadth of talent; Sammy B, seemingly broadly overlooked in the narratives above but also probably in a real breakthrough year.

Is it all about the wins in a team sport?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    me-109 said:

Well, not sure which way to go with this one. Roglic for the high-profile GCs, the collapse and comeback; WVA for the consistency and breadth of talent; Sammy B, seemingly broadly overlooked in the narratives above but also probably in a real breakthrough year.

Was Bennett even definitely the best sprinter of the year?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • webboo
    andyp said:

That's bollocks, but it also proves the point. Coming second at a CX World Cup race is a noteworthy achievement for most, but Alvarado has been so good for the past 18 months that second is considered a failure.

She might be one of the best women off road riders but she’s done very little on tarmac. She doesn’t come close to her team mate MvP.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    webboo said:

andyp said:

She might be one of the best women off road riders but she’s done very little on tarmac. She doesn’t come close to her team mate MvP.
    CX Specific,

PFP bossed the XCO this year...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020
    me-109 said:

Great question. Surely the only way you can vote for Roglic over WvA is if you look at pure palmares, because in every other way, WvA was absolutely in a different league.
  • me-109 said:

Great question. Surely the only way you can vote for Roglic over WvA is if you look at pure palmares, because in every other way, WvA was absolutely in a different league.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    :P

He should have won
  • :P

He should have won

He should have won

He wasn't even second.

2nd. Tadej Pogačar (SLO) 3rd. Wout van Aert (BEL)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Wout's not going marry you Rick
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey

He should have won

He should have won

He wasn't even second.

2nd. Tadej Pogačar (SLO) 3rd. Wout van Aert (BEL)

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    I can get you Rudy Giuliani's phone number if you want to challenge the result, @rick_chasey
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I had a joke about Rudy Giuliani but it's lost it's appeal.
  • rick_chasey
    I mean wva is a rider for all 4 seasons.

I’ll let myself out
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Jeremy's Cousin wasn't on the list. Booo!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    ...and what about the daily break away man De Ghent?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    andyp said:

I had a joke about Rudy Giuliani but it's lost it's appeal.

It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231

me-109 said:

I’m not good with faces, but is that MVDP blacked up to refute that point!? That’s an outrage on so many levels...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

I’m not good with faces

That's a very famous one.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    edited December 2020

I’ll let myself out

People will not understand that joke 10 yrs from now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309

I’ll let myself out

Oh I think the general theme will work itself into the historical landscape.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    M

I’ll let myself out

Oh I think the general theme will work itself into the historical landscape.
    My fear no nightmare even is the future eclipses all this like some preamble
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • webboo
    Tom Pidcock just stepped up level to win his first Super Prestige cyclocross putting 25 seconds in to Mathew van der Poel.