Who is your rider of 2020?

Comments

• That's only because it's relatively new.

It's just as good, if not better viewing than most monuments.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

That's only because it's relatively new.

100% agree with this.

If you were a new fan who didn't know anything about the history...?
  • I'm perfectly happy for their to be a domestique of year award, but that should be distinct from a rider of the year.

Strade bianchi, a monument, second in another monument and second in both worlds road and TT. Add to that beating the sprinters on sprint stages in the tour, and only then it's adding the climbing domestique work in the tour that takes him to 1st place in my opinion.

Roglic clearly had a very good season too.
    I think Strade Bianche gets generally overrated in terms of prestige among the various forum. It's good, but it's not yet up there with the monuments and a couple of other Belgian races in my book.

WvA won Milan-San Remo beating Alaphilippe on the lunge.
    Roglic also did that in LBL but had both Pogacar and Hirschi to contend with, plus Mohoric.

That aside, the key word in your post is "second".
    Neither won their main race of the year, both had a good year.

It's close between the two, and wva has that special something.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    edited November 2020
    2020 may be a outlier year with the season reshuffle etc. Maybe 2021 with its more trad calendar will be less disruptive
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Lance Armstrong was boring except maybe in 2003 . Indurain was boring . Olano was genuinely boring . Jesus if roglic is boring he'll knows what the rest are .

Say what you like about Armstrong, but he wasn't boring. He was a very attacking rider. His dominance may have been boring, but his riding wasn't.
    It was tedious as hell . Shut down all the racing .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734

RichN95. said:

Lance Armstrong was boring except maybe in 2003 . Indurain was boring . Olano was genuinely boring . Jesus if roglic is boring he'll knows what the rest are .

Say what you like about Armstrong, but he wasn't boring. He was a very attacking rider. His dominance may have been boring, but his riding wasn't.
    He was at least interesting off the bike.
  • mididoctors

RichN95. said:

What fun we all had ...best spent time ever
  • rick_chasey

RichN95. said:

Haha. I grew up with it and learned about cycling in that time so I have a warped view.
  • That's only because it's relatively new.

It's a novelty, so it's going to make for better viewing.
    However, if we are judging the status of races upon how they look, then the winner of Tro Bro Leon would certainly be in with a shout, as this race, by some margin, produces the best viewing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    I like a distinctive finish. Strade Bianche has that.
  • If King Kelly says WVA was the best rider of the year, I'm happy to agree with him

Rog just doesn't excite people, he's a successful Cadel Evans

WVA is a rider who thrills fans, no matter what role he is in, and as said previously, the only terrain you don't fancy him on is an MTF
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Can we just take a moment to assess Roglic's loss in the Tour?
    People say he crumbled on the climb in the TT, yet he still placed 5th. He could probably have done a bit better on the climb - the bike swap was atrocious and it didn't look like he knew what gearing he should be in - but not to the extent that he could have saved the minute he needed.

Pogacar's winning time was one of the most astounding TTs you'll ever see. His gap to Dumoulin in 2nd was 1'21". Porte put in a phenomenal ride to finish on the same time as Dumoulin. Roglic was only 35" slower than the pair of them.

The biggest gap in the rankings outside Pogacar's 1'21" was from Cavagna in 6th to Caruso in 7th, a whole 30 seconds. The gap from Pogacar to Dumoulin is a second more than the gap from Dumoulin to De La Cruz in 8th.

If Roglic hadn't been favourite for the Tour we'd be looking at a GT and a GT podium and saying that was a bloody good year. That's without the Monument or the stage wins thrown in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Interested in the votes for carapaz and kuss.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020

Can we just take a moment to assess Roglic's loss in the Tour?
    People say he crumbled on the climb in the TT, yet he still placed 5th. He could probably have done a bit better on the climb - the bike swap was atrocious and it didn't look like he knew what gearing he should be in - but not to the extent that he could have saved the minute he needed.

Pogacar's winning time was one of the most astounding TTs you'll ever see. His gap to Dumoulin in 2nd was 1'21". Porte put in a phenomenal ride to finish on the same time as Dumoulin. Roglic was only 35" slower than the pair of them.

The biggest gap in the rankings outside Pogacar's 1'21" was from Cavagna in 6th to Caruso in 7th, a whole 30 seconds. The gap from Pogacar to Dumoulin is a second more than the gap from Dumoulin to De La Cruz in 8th.

If Roglic hadn't been favourite for the Tour we'd be looking at a GT and a GT podium and saying that was a bloody good year. That's without the Monument or the stage wins thrown in.

Doesn't have the x factor though ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    philbar72 said:

would love to be in the mountains. but... this is about the years best rider.

best GC climber - roglic
    Best flat time triallist - ganna
    Best one day classics rider - WVA
    best lower mountain/ flat super domestique - WVA
    best high mountain Domestique - Kuss
    best chopper and hi octane thrillseeker with penchant for stupendous/ stupid attacks - Allaphilipe
    Best sprinter - Demare or Bennett
    new talent - Hirschi

I can see the argument for him being the rider of the year (though I went for WVA) but I'd take serious issue with him being the best GC climber. He's cracked on several occasions in both the Tour and Vuelta when put under pressure on the bigger climbs. He lost time to rivals in the mountains on both races and was saved from defeat in the Vuelta by his TT and bonus seconds on shorter climbs. He's a decent all-rounder who can usually hang on in the mountains.

• mididoctors
    roglic dropped everyone bar lopez on the toughest MTF of the tour
  • mididoctors

RichN95. said:

I have a warped view.
    case closed

• mididoctors
    the argument for WvA is he rode in a spectacular fashion in the tour. we will see another Roglic like rider this decade perhaps but another ride like WvA? its almost like WvA ride was diminished by roglic not winning.

that said roglic was everywhere and demonstrated deep mental strength... my heart say WvA my head says Roglic

then again if crapaz had decent support and not been used as polyfilla for ineos roglic wouldn't have won the vuelta.

really is a toughie

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068

I'm perfectly happy for their to be a domestique of year award, but that should be distinct from a rider of the year.

I think Strade Bianche gets generally overrated in terms of prestige among the various forum. It's good, but it's not yet up there with the monuments and a couple of other Belgian races in my book.

Strade Bianche is so much better than 3 of the 5 monuments it's not even close. Its only the stereotypical roadie reluctance to let go of the past even when it's demonstrably shit that keeps those tedious chippers going.

• Carapaz rode better than this poll will suggest . Victim of other people's failure imo

I agree about Carapaz – was made to change his plans and thus not able to defend his Giro title, basically asked to play second fiddle in the other GTs, and when his leaders in those GTs didn't show up, he rose to the occasion to still achieve something and largely unaided too (Tour stage 18 apart).
  • andyp said:

You've missed Mathieu van der Poel

Hirschi doesn't even get on the list.

You lot over-value mountains far too much.

I know it's just an arbitary list, not necessarily the 10 most valid candidates, and from the forum discussion, after Roglic and WVA, it seems to be irrelevant who the other 8 are. But like Andyp, I'd also say Van der Poel should be in the list, out of some sort of respect. Probably Demare too, afterall he had the most victories of anybody this season (even if none were mountain stages).

In fact, of the 10 names listed by the OP, I'd certainly scratch 2 maybe even 4 and, as well as VdP and Demare, probably include Hirschi, and maybe Evenepoel or Lopez too.

As it is, I voted for Roglic based on his achievements, although Alaphilippe brought me the most entertainment so, in a way, he is really my rider of the year.
  • jam1e said:

I'm perfectly happy for their to be a domestique of year award, but that should be distinct from a rider of the year.

Strade Bianche is so much better than 3 of the 5 monuments it's not even close. Its only the stereotypical roadie reluctance to let go of the past even when it's demonstrably censored that keeps those tedious chippers going.

jam1e said:

Strade Bianche is so much better than 3 of the 5 monuments it's not even close. Its only the stereotypical roadie reluctance to let go of the past even when it's demonstrably censored that keeps those tedious chippers going.

Harsh
    Those "tedious chippers" are focal and as such have other build up races specifically placed in the calendar. These either take the form of major stage races, or any number of semi classics.

I don't disagree that Strade Bianche makes for better racing, just that it's an early season, stand alone event, when many riders are looking to put in some hard kms.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • When I were a lad, the G.C. contenders were (almost universally) the guys who faired best / excelled in TTs and hills. The GTs of late seem to be moving away from ITTs, but they still have the hills. Maybe this is part of the reason the (relatively)less experienced ‘young guns’ are coming to prominence earlier in their careers. I guess that’s progress, but I still prefer seeing decent time trialers putting chunks of time into the field.
  • rick_chasey
    JA should get a lot of love for his entertainment value - rare beast who entertains (as villain or hero) whilst still padding out a highly impressive palmares
  • rick_chasey

the argument for WvA is he rode in a spectacular fashion in the tour. we will see another Roglic like rider this decade perhaps but another ride like WvA? its almost like WvA ride was diminished by roglic not winning.

that said roglic was everywhere and demonstrated deep mental strength... my heart say WvA my head says Roglic

then again if crapaz had decent support and not been used as polyfilla for ineos roglic wouldn't have won the vuelta.

really is a toughie

I feel most years there will be a Roglic like performance across the season - Perhaps not an LBL win alongside two GT overall tilts but then it wasn't a normal season.

I feel we may never see a ride and season like WvA ever again. Just so good across so much terrain.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

Think this call on Indurain being boring is unfair. He regularly went from a long way out, especially in the 1995 Tour when his Liege and Le Plagne rides were exceptional and hugely entertaining. His battle with Pantani in 1994 was also great to watch.
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

Think this call on Indurain being boring is unfair. He regularly went from a long way out, especially in the 1995 Tour when his Liege and Le Plagne rides were exceptional and hugely entertaining. His battle with Pantani in 1994 was also great to watch.
    Indurain was kinda awesome but the GC at the tour was lame except 95 and the giro 94 . And 96 when he cracked wasn't that great a tour imo ... Decent enough guy for his era I guess
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    phreak said:

In seven Grand Tour wins he never won a non-TT stage, which he didn't need to as he'd bludgen the opposition in those TTs. I can't remember him try to much either.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    He always used to ride hard on one of the early mountain stages, so as to eliminate most of his rivals and leave him having to follow one, or at most two, rivals. Did that in 1991, didn't need to in 1992 (just two real mountain stages), again in 93, again in 94 and the aforementioned La Plagne ride in 95.
  • mididoctors
    if i look at the greats of 95 indurain rominger jaja bugno sorenson pascal richard virenque pantani riis chippolini zabel et al

which list is better then or now?