La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 17: Sequeros > Alto de La Covatilla - 178,2 km *Spoilers*

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

DeadCalm said:

A decent final stage of one of the most tedious GTs I can recall. The person who rated the Giro a 3 must be into negative numbers for this one, surely?

Apart from the reasonably decent final stage, the only positives over the whole race for me were the two stage wins for my man Gaudu and some of the Sunweb kids showing their promise at WT level.

Missed today's stage, and I can't think of anything memorable from the race except the Basque lamb stew.
    Roglic taking the XR4 to a grand tour win will do for me. Another feather in the cap for Bianchi.
    Are they really heavy? That might explain why Roglic struggles to respond to attacks on climbs.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    webboo said:

DeadCalm said:

A decent final stage of one of the most tedious GTs I can recall. The person who rated the Giro a 3 must be into negative numbers for this one, surely?

Apart from the reasonably decent final stage, the only positives over the whole race for me were the two stage wins for my man Gaudu and some of the Sunweb kids showing their promise at WT level.

Missed today's stage, and I can't think of anything memorable from the race except the Basque lamb stew.
    Roglic taking the XR4 to a grand tour win will do for me. Another feather in the cap for Bianchi.
    What are you going to crow about next year when they are no longer on Italian Raleighs. More about your Brompton and flying.
    Simon Yates winning the giro on one?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Next year they will be on discs.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The take away message is buy the Bianchi time trial bike, not the road bike.
  • webboo
    Or put a Slovenian on your bike of choice.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited November 2020
    All three grand tours were won on Italian branded bikes.

2 of the 3 aren't the best bikes in their brand's range. I couldn't care less about pinarello so don't know their range
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

I was thinking earlier where you go with this race after giving the Giro a 3. It has highlighted that a close GC battle doesn't automatically mean good racing.
    I was thinking that.

Friebe just tweeted that the Vuelta was "engrossing throughout", I mean, maybe if you're paid to be engrossed in it. It's been very tedious.
  • webboo
    gsk82 said:

All three grand tours were won on Italian branded bikes.

2 of the 3 aren't the best bikes in their brand's range. I couldn't care less about pinarello so don't know their range

Just to be pedantic all three grand tours are not quite over just yet.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    It was a decent race. try watching the 1995 edition.

2020 best angliru stage ever. comedy gold maybe not eros poli 1994 Paris Roubaix but i laughed hard a lot
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited November 2020

It was a decent race. try watching the 1995 edition.

2020 best angliru stage ever. comedy gold maybe not eros poli 1994 Paris Roubaix but i laughed hard a lot

I think the Angliru stage benefited from the lack of crowds. It was just the riders in a lonely grid to the top.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2020
    The mountain stages have all benefitted from a lack of crowds imo, way too many idiots getting in the way usually.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    jam1e said:

The mountain stages have all benefits from a lack of crowds imo, way too many idiots getting in the way usually.

+1 for this.

The cretins running alongside the riders, shouting in their faces, touching them or causing havoc with attempted selfies have not been missed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Yeah, definitely one of the plus points. I did enjoy the section on that ridiculous cobbled climb today with the locals on their doorsteps though.
  • pblakeney said:

DeadCalm said:

Not even Carthy's win?
    Didn't remember who won that stage till you said, to be honest. Says more about me than the race though!
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    edited November 2020
    No smoke flares being set off was another plus, I hate those
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    jam1e said:

The mountain stages have all benefitted from a lack of crowds imo, way too many idiots getting in the way usually.

True! Hadn't thought about it but the lack of mankinis surely has to be the way forward! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.