La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 17: Sequeros > Alto de La Covatilla - 178,2 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    So what you're saying is he actually lost it "on the road"?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    alan_a said:

Great effort from Carapaz. Booo movistar pulling Rog home.

If I was in the Jumbo car I would have been on the phone to Movistar offering them money to ride. I wonder if a quick deal was done.

It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    If the other GC'ers haven't figured him for a 2.5 week, one trick pony next season they need to have a think about what they're doing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Carapaz left it too late there and those fuckwits from Movistar saved Roglic.

Also Schillinger from Bora inexplicably doing Jumbo’s job for them for most of the climb
    He also looked like a commuter with his open jersey flapping, odd style and a stripe on his shoulder that made it look like he was wearing a rucksack
  • Pross

Pross said:

Any time Roglic gets attacked he loses time. It makes you wonder why riders let him dictate so much.

If only Carthy had a kick him and Carapaz could have got the gap sooner but the time to go was when Bennett went out the back.

They were playing it carefully and not riding for the win. Lots of people here blame bonus seconds, but ultimately Roglic was there for the taking and no one really tried. It's a solid effort by Roglic to win when he clearly isn't the best climber and he deserves respect for it.
    Yep I don't get it. JV didn't look very strong either, Carapaz has a GT to his name so protecting second at the Vuelta seemed odd yet be chased down the first couple of attacks instead of using them as a springboard. If he'd gone on the steeper slopes I think he'd have won.
  • jam1e
    I reckon Carapaz can consider himself unlucky really - the time gap from the other day and Roglic having a teammate at the right moment before latching onto a Movistar team willing to ride was just too much.

When you consider the relative team strengths etc Carapaz did really well.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Any time Roglic gets attacked he loses time. It makes you wonder why riders let him dictate so much.

If only Carthy had a kick him and Carapaz could have got the gap sooner but the time to go was when Bennett went out the back.

They were playing it carefully and not riding for the win. Lots of people here blame bonus seconds, but ultimately Roglic was there for the taking and no one really tried. It's a solid effort by Roglic to win when he clearly isn't the best climber and he deserves respect for it.
    Yep I don't get it. JV didn't look very strong either, Carapaz has a GT to his name so protecting second at the Vuelta seemed odd yet be chased down the first couple of attacks instead of using them as a springboard. If he'd gone on the steeper slopes I think he'd have won.
    I reckon that's because nobody thought the unthinkable: that Kuss would crack.

JV weren't up to their usual par today for sure, but Carapaz has had just about the weakest Skineos GT team ever.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Roglic also won 4 stages and took the red jersey three times.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    So the rider who has ridden the tour in the fastest actual time has lost.....not good.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Carapaz left it too late there and those fuckwits from Movistar saved Roglic.

Also Schillinger from Bora inexplicably doing Jumbo’s job for them for most of the climb
    He also looked like a commuter with his open jersey flapping, odd style and a stripe on his shoulder that made it look like he was wearing a rucksack

It also wasn’t inexplicable either. Grossschartner dropped from 7th to 9th in GC due to two breakaways
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    "I've filed with the Supreme Court to annul the bonus seconds. They are unfair. So unfair. I won this Vuelta. By a lot. Sad!"

• jam1e
    Many people said so.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    dabber said:

So the rider who has ridden the tour in the fastest actual time has lost.....not good.

Same with froome that year he came second
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    RichN95. said:

"I've filed with the Supreme Court to annul the bonus seconds. They are unfair. So unfair. I won this Vuelta. By a lot. Sad!"

How much was the phantom gap earlier in the race worth?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Classic example of the awful commentary on Eurosport, neither of them made any comment about Kuss being dropped by the first Carthy kick, which could have been a crucial moment. Bet Millar is all over it...
  • Roglic also won 4 stages and took the red jersey three times.

First time someone's bundled that with a GT win since Nibali won the 2014 Tour; also the first time a previous GT winner won another since Froome won the 2018 Giro.

It's probably also good for his psyche, knowing that he hasn't been beaten at the last for the second time this season.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    A decent final stage of one of the most tedious GTs I can recall. The person who rated the Giro a 3 must be into negative numbers for this one, surely?

Apart from the reasonably decent final stage, the only positives over the whole race for me were the two stage wins for my man Gaudu and some of the Sunweb kids showing their promise at WT level.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Carapaz is a hard man. Saw that in that Movistar docu thing on Netflix from last year. Can see it in his attitude. I like that. He had almost zero team support in La Vuelta by the stages ends. Now, if he had a Jumbo type train to look after him... 😉
  • And speaking of Froome - I'm not really surprised he got dropped before the last climb. His pacing effort on the Angliru stage last weekend was as good as he could give, it seems.
    DeadCalm said:

Apart from the reasonably decent final stage, the only positives over the whole race for me were the two stage wins for my man Gaudu and some of the Sunweb kids showing their promise at WT level.

Given the situation in Spain, that is a remarkable and much-welcome feat.
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 said:

How much was the phantom gap earlier in the race worth?

Three seconds over Carapaz and 10 over Carthy
  • DeadCalm said:

A decent final stage of one of the most tedious GTs I can recall. The person who rated the Giro a 3 must be into negative numbers for this one, surely?

Missed today's stage, and I can't think of anything memorable from the race except the Basque lamb stew.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

DeadCalm said:

Missed today's stage, and I can't think of anything memorable from the race except the Basque lamb stew.
    Not even Carthy's win?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon said:

Carapaz is a hard man. Saw that in that Movistar docu thing on Netflix from last year. Can see it in his attitude. I like that. He had almost zero team support in La Vuelta by the stages ends. Now, if he had a Jumbo type train to look after him... 😉

Perhaps having another dom in good shape could have made the difference. Dunbar's crash in T-A meant one less for Ineos to pick from where the Giro / Vuelta were concerned.
  • DeadCalm said:

Roglic taking the XR4 to a grand tour win will do for me. Another feather in the cap for Bianchi.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    pblakeney said:

DeadCalm said:

Not even Carthy's win?
    About it really.
  • Pross
    DeadCalm said:

I was thinking earlier where you go with this race after giving the Giro a 3. It has highlighted that a close GC battle doesn't automatically mean good racing.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

orraloon said:

Perhaps having another dom in good shape could have made the difference. Dunbar's crash in T-A meant one less for Ineos to pick from where the Giro / Vuelta were concerned.
    Dunbar would've probably won the giro.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    gsk82 said:

orraloon said:

Dunbar would've probably won the giro.
    Perhaps that is the crunch.
    Ineos didn't have a genuine 2nd in command to take the win. ;)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

DeadCalm said:

Roglic taking the XR4 to a grand tour win will do for me. Another feather in the cap for Bianchi.
    What are you going to crow about next year when they are no longer on Italian Raleighs. More about your Brompton and flying.