Giro 2020 - Stage 21: Cernusco sul Naviglio – Milano 15.7 km ITT *spoilers*

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    So at this moment in time Ineos have 5 GT winners
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    At the start of the year if someone had to Sunweb you can get some TdF stages and second/third on the Giro they would have taken that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Worth switching channels by the way.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Dave B considerably happier than I've ever seen him!!

(I thought Tao and Hannah were no longer an item 😯 )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    I never realised Sir Dave was quite so short. Ganna is a unit I know but he looks positively tiny...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Pross said:

Worth switching channels by the way.

No spoilers perlease 😉 La Vuelta is next for me.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Looked at Gannas palmares. That's a lot. Hard to say who Wiggo must love more.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851

So if you’re Jai’s DS what do you tell him?

Go back 2 days and help Wilco.
    Half man, Half bike
  • mrb123
    Losing My Religion interesting choice for Demare's podium (outside the Duomo)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805

So if you’re Jai’s DS what do you tell him?

Go back 2 days and help Wilco.
    Go back 2 weeks and let hindley follow Tao when he clipped off with Hamilton
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    See, the thing about Sky/Ineos, they never have a plan B
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross

And they're boring with that mountain train.
  • mrb123

Turns out that at the Tour they were just lulling all the other teams into a false sense of security...
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

And they're boring with that mountain train.
    AKA Rohan Dennis
  • tailwindhome
    It must be a bit bitter sweet for Geraint sitting at home watching this.
    I'm sure he's happy to see Tao win... but he'd have won easily in this field.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited October 2020

They now won four GTs with plan B (although for the previous three, plan A got on the podium)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited October 2020
    This is the first GT since the 2018 Giro that Movistar haven't won the team classification. They won six in a row.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    edited October 2020
    nevermind :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    It was so tactical . The whole thing came done to perception and decisions. Extraordinary really . Tao just followed the best wheels at the right times all the way into milan . That day he went with Hamilton was kinda crucial . Ineos thou! Insane strength . Watching all the old guard get a right kicking on the stelvio was something. I suppose they had the same a few days earlier when Tao won . But that stelvio stage kinda sealed the deal
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

It was so tactical . The whole thing came done to perception and decisions. Extraordinary really . Tao just followed the best wheels at the right times all the way into milan . That day he went with Hamilton was kinda crucial . Ineos thou! Insane strength . Watching all the old guard get a right kicking on the stelvio was something. I suppose they had the same a few days earlier when Tao won . But that stelvio stage kinda sealed the deal

I’m sure we’ll still be getting shark references next year however.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    The attention to detail was there again whether it was having the right clothing for the race conditions or arranging a helicopter transfer to maximise recovery. Sure, the budget helps but the cost of a couple of helicopters is pretty small beer in the grand scheme of a World Tour team budget. As for making sure riders have a jacket they get on easily in cold weather in the mountains on a stage where everyone knew there would be cold weather and mountains, that just feels like a basic.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Nice to have another GB grand tour winner - good race too enjoyed that last week more than I have one for a while - thanks to Blazing for the previews and everyone for the discussion.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I like to think back to the ToC in 2018 when Tao was the superdom for Bernal and left it all on the road for him. Such mutual respect. And now to think both have one a GT, arguably both sooner than expected, in the proceeding two years. Just wow!
  • True, I remember him riding the legs off everyone on that hilly stage in California to launch Bernal.
  • tailwindhome
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310

I like to think back to the ToC in 2018 when Tao was the superdom for Bernal and left it all on the road for him. Such mutual respect. And now to think both have one a GT, arguably both sooner than expected, in the proceeding two years. Just wow!

This. Tao has been utterly selfless as a domestique. I like to think that's part of the reason that far more experienced riders like Swift and Dennis were proud to turn themselves inside out for him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 463
    Love this team 💙❤️💙❤️
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    I'm absolutely chuffed to bits for TGH. He comes across as a properly sound fella.

Dennis was immense on stages 19 and 20 but, until Piancavallo, Ineos were all about stage wins and Tao did a huge amount of effort on his own. That was a hugely deserved victory.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mididoctors
    Would g have won?
  • mrb123

Would g have won?

I think so.