Should Chris Froome swallow his pride and retire?

1161718192022»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

Keep going on about it, as if being a PRO cyclist was the same as being a fire fighter or a nurse… it’s not the same thing and the guy does not need the job. Being unable to perform in performance sport is a bit like being a neuro surgeon with no hands…

If he likes being in that world, surely there is another role for him, like probably there is another role in a hospital for said neuro surgeon.

left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661

In your analogy the employer would get rid of him. Whilst it feels he's either deluding himself that he can retun to some kind of form or is simply exploiting the contract his employer / sponsors at IPT took a gamble or felt he was worth the money they are spending. Only they will know if that gamble has been worthwhile, winning races is really only a means to an end for sponsors - the actual end is achieving publicity and Froome still does that far more than a journeyman pro even if the journeyman is performing slightly better. Who would get them more publicity Chris Froome or Mark Donovan (chosen as he is currently the highest ranked British rider not on a World Tour teamin 293rd vs 2475th)?

• ugo.santalucia

The answer is I don’t know. He has been seen on TV once during the ADH stage…. other than that he doesn’t attract crowds anymore…

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,304

That's not fair, him being dropped early on the final climb is usually shown on TV.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,850

Simple question. Would we be talking about IPT if Froome wasn't there?

No. Job done.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,850

This thread has generated more interest though. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,304

We might be talking about them winning Fleche Wallone.

• Pross

I doubt he’ll find anyone to take him on when his contract comes up for renewal. When IPT gave him his current contract he was obviously worth the gamble. Now he has years of absolutely no results, is approaching 40 and his wife’s behaviour is likely to make him too much of a PR liability for anyone who may have taken a chance on having a multiple GT winning rider on the books. I assume he knows all that himself even if he wants to carry on so why not milk his current deal?

• ugo.santalucia

because that might prevent him from getting other roles in the future in my opinion.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797

I think you’re underestimating how much he’s being paid.

• Pross

What roles? He has business interests outside cycling. I don’t think he is still doing it for purely financial reasons and can’t see him moving into a team role.