Giro 2020 - Stage 15: Rivolto – Piancavallo 185 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Tao looked like he was way stronger than the other two at the end, makes you wonder if he could have attacked a bit earlier and gained time, though can't blame for not doing so - stage win! (Wish he'd rode to the line tho...)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    davidof said:

RichN95. said:

If there's a large batch of Covid positives tomorrow and the race is cancelled, Kelderman will kick himself for not doing a turn.

He had nothing to give
    yeah he was pinned

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    RichN95. said:

Tao correctly saying that everyone of Ineos has been in the top 4 of a stage. Only Swift and Thomas haven't been in the top 2.

Doing their points a world of good.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Fuck yeah, get in Tao! Hackney in da house!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    100% PTP day for me today!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    edited October 2020
    Pross said:

Should Ineos marshal around Tao for GC now? He looks like he's got it on the climbs and its a hard final week.

Not sure who they have to support him. Swift and Castro seem to be making it to the final climb but will be limited what they can do. May as well stick to getting a rider or two up the road and taking the pressure off.
    Agreed. Just use the same tactics as today to the end of the race.
    Maybe with an earlier push at the end and less celebrations. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

If there's a large batch of Covid positives tomorrow and the race is cancelled, Kelderman will kick himself for not doing a turn.

Not as much as TGH will for the long celebration.
    Yes, a great ride by Tao but I find these celebration, time losing antics, very amateurish when things are getting close.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    dabber said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Yes, a great ride by Tao but I find these celebration, time losing antics, very amateurish when things are getting close.

Really? he’s still 3 minutes behind and at most he lost 2 seconds celebrating his first gt win. Cost him young riders jersey but unlikely to mean much by next week

• dabber
    neonriver said:

dabber said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Really? he’s still 3 minutes behind and at most he lost 2 seconds celebrating his first gt win. Cost him young riders jersey but unlikely to mean much by next week

Yes really, he could be sitting in 3rd, virtual podium.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    dabber said:

neonriver said:

dabber said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Tbh big deal it’s only virtual.
  • dabber
    neonriver said:

dabber said:

neonriver said:

dabber said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Tbh big deal it’s only virtual.
    At the moment but who knows at the end?

• Pross
    neonriver said:

dabber said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Difference between a podium place or not if the race doesn't make it through the second rest day. I'm his defence I don't think he would have known he had moved up so far but of you are aiming for a GT podium you need to save every second (he could have still celebrated, just not from 50m out). Presumably Almeida is still the real white jersey though and Hindley is borrowing it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    He was 11th at the start of the day. If you'd told him he'll miss the virtual podium by a second due to over-celebrating his stage win, I think he'd take it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Ineos leading the teams GC - wonder if they've realised that?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    There was a lot of chatter on here about how long it was since Sky/Ineos won a GT stage. They now have 6 this year.
  • Pross
    inseine said:

There was a lot of chatter on here about how long it was since Sky/Ineos won a GT stage. They now have 6 this year.

And even their harshest critic would be hard pushed to say they've been boring.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Pross said:

inseine said:

And even their harshest critic would be hard pushed to say they've been boring.
    One might suggest that Ganna's domination of ITTs is starting to become boring (albeit seriously impressive) but there is no question that they are much more likeable as a non- dominant GC team. I almost said non-GC team but TGH is definitely in contention for GC albeit as an outsider.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    dabber said:

There's a week of racing left (we hope). He's just won a GT stage, his first, and wanted to celebrate. Let's enjoy the moment and see where he is next weekend.

If you asked him at the start of the race if he'd take a stage win and a top ten place on GC, I think he'd have signed for it there and then.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

100% PTP day for me today!

Chapeau, chapeau. Top PTPing (mainly here rather than Flanders to be fair)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Just watched through on the catch up, good stage. Shame for me I PTPed the wrong Grenadier 😉
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I suspect if TGH were a seasoned GC rider he'd have attacked earlier and gone for a decent time gap but can't blame him for making sure he took the win.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    andyp said:

dabber said:

There's a week of racing left (we hope). He's just won a GT stage, his first, and wanted to celebrate. Let's enjoy the moment and see where he is next weekend.

If you asked him at the start of the race if he'd take a stage win and a top ten place on GC, I think he'd have signed for it there and then.
    Yeah all true and we were watching with the knowledge of the overall situation which, it was plain from his interview, he didn't have. It was a very strong performance.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

But sadly lacking in these.

(then follows photos of foods)

Sorry that I had no pictures in my local food post, but well done to Blazing for providing some, albeit untitled, namely of:
    polenta with cheese
    ham and figs
    Gubana cake
    slices of Musetto sausage
    lamb stew
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

Tao looked like he was way stronger than the other two at the end, makes you wonder if he could have attacked a bit earlier and gained time, though can't blame for not doing so - stage win! (Wish he'd rode to the line tho...)

I instead thought Hindley looked the strongest. But he did the team-player bit near the end and stood to the side for his captain's sake …. just Keldermann wasn't then up to it.

If he could improve his TT-ing, I imagine next year Hindley could be Sunweb's main GC man, with Keldermann off to Bora and Bardet probably past his best.
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    I've just realised the Vuelta starts on Tuesday. There's a mountain stage on Wednesday. This calendar is crazy.
  • RichN95. said:

I've just realised the Vuelta starts on Tuesday. There's a mountain stage on Wednesday. This calendar is crazy.

On the day the Giro finishes, the vuelta has aubisque and tourmalet.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

On the day the Giro finishes, the vuelta has aubisque and tourmalet.
    I know. Even stage 1 has some proper climbs in it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    Catch with what you have to tomorrow, cos after that things get real busy for a few days!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I'm actually really enjoying the compressed calendar. Less of this nonsense about people starting the season slowly as they're focusing on races later in the year, and the classics have felt more like a championship - I'm not sure if they're less spaced out or not, but it certainly feels like it and I think we're seeing a slightly different mix of riders too, which is cool.