Giro 2020 - Stage 1: Monreale – Palermo 15 km ITT *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Bit of a thumping on day 1 for a lot of GC hopes ... Guess we will see . Yates going well
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95. said:

GC hopefuls

Almeida -
    Thomas +0.01
    Yates +0.27
    Oomen +0.49
    Knox +0.51
    Vlasov +0.58
    Zakarin +1.04
    Kelderman +1.06
    Nibali +1.07
    Kruijswijk +1.22
    Fuglsang +1.25
    Ciccone +1.53
    Majka +1.38

How can a GC rider lose a minute on their main rival, over a 15km TT? do they not practice their TT? FFS they have three of these to do!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Now getting moto GP commentary over top of the cycling commentary. Great work by Eurosport!
  • Mad_Malx said:

Elsewhere, the finale of binky bank is worth a watch.

I am heading there now.
    Got a spoilered elsewhere unfortunately.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Are all the Eurosport commentators for all the sports in the same room?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.

Mad_Malx said:

I am heading there now.

You could hear Backstedt's commentary on the Giro coverage
  • The only plus from having so many commentary feeds running simultaneously was none of them were Carlton feckin Kirby
  • I'm glad I watched it on s4c, they made much more sense
  • So, Ineos to hold pink for all 21 stages?
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    From what you folks say about Carlton, I'm happy to watch s4c and listen to a commentary I don't understand but I like the accent.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    When GTs are decided by less than a minute these days these are big time gaps
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    RichN95. said:

GC hopefuls

Almeida -
    Thomas +0.01
    Yates +0.27
    Oomen +0.49
    Knox +0.51
    Vlasov +0.58
    Zakarin +1.04
    Kelderman +1.06
    Nibali +1.07
    Kruijswijk +1.22
    Fuglsang +1.25
    Ciccone +1.53
    Majka +1.38

The list of GC hopefuls, if one is speaking top-10, should perhaps include Hamilton (+0.33), maybe O'Connor (+0.38) and Ulissi (+0.47), and perhaps also Bilbao (+0.37) as well as (should Majka lose more ground) Konrad (+1.00). All times related to Almeida.

After his lay-off, I don't think the Kruijswijk result unexpected.
    Fuglsang said he feared losing ground in the first week. He's never yet got a top result in a 3-week tour, as if they are too long for him, so a poor start was the last thing he wanted (not to mention losing Lopez).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I thought it was preferable to go and get blown around Bodmin Moor instead. Those are some surprising time gaps! Maybe some people not quite going for GC as much as they'd said...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

inseine said:

I would suggest that 7.6km is a prologue

50x11 said:

Yeah a prologue is not a TT.

Ahem...
    @notquite6foot

Told you they were classed different.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I don't think a TT stage with around 300m of elevation loss should really count for a record speed.
  • jimmyjams said:

RichN95. said:

GC hopefuls

Almeida -
    Thomas +0.01
    Yates +0.27
    Oomen +0.49
    Knox +0.51
    Vlasov +0.58
    Zakarin +1.04
    Kelderman +1.06
    Nibali +1.07
    Kruijswijk +1.22
    Fuglsang +1.25
    Ciccone +1.53
    Majka +1.38

The list of GC hopefuls, if one is speaking top-10, should perhaps include Hamilton (+0.33), maybe O'Connor (+0.38) and Ulissi (+0.47), and perhaps also Bilbao (+0.37) as well as (should Majka lose more ground) Konrad (+1.00). All times related to Almeida.

Fuglsang said he feared losing ground in the first week. He's never yet got a top result in a 3-week tour, as if they are too long for him, so a poor start was the last thing he wanted (not to mention losing Lopez).
    By GC hopefuls, I think Rich means top 5, not top 10, given the overall quality of this field.
    To which, from your list, I would probably add Konrad, but none of the others.

Pernsteiner, Masnada, Valter, Kangert, Haig, Hindley and McNulty: any of these could squeeze into 8th, 9th or 10th slots.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2020
    50x11 said:

inseine said:

50x11 said:

Ahem...
    @notquite6foot

No, you said "a prologue is not a TT".

The Giro tweet (and my subsequent post since the one you quoted) class Ganna's ride as a non-prologue ITT record. Classing a prologue as an ITT (and I've not seen official nomenclature that says otherwise) does not contradict that.
  • RichN95.

By GC hopefuls, I think Rich means top 5, not top 10, given the overall quality of this field.

Konrad was actually on the list I scribbled down, I just missed him when transferring. The list just came from someone else's star ratings on twitter (Felix Lowe I think)
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

50x11 said:

inseine said:

50x11 said:

Ahem...
    @notquite6foot

The Giro tweet (and my subsequent post since the one you quoted) class Ganna's ride as a non-prologue ITT record. Classing a prologue as an ITT (and I've not seen official nomenclature that says otherwise) does not contradict that.
    Well the fact the runners of the race have differentiated between the disciplines. You know what I meant, you've been shown up and are playing smart.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Surely anything downhill does not count as a record...that could lead to some very dangerous course planning by organisers looking for headlines
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95.

Surely anything downhill does not count as a record...that could lead to some very dangerous course planning by organisers looking for headlines

No-one really cares much about this record though. It's little more than a bit of trivia
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    RichN95. said:

Mad_Malx said:

I am heading there now.

yeah i heard that too. Was he doing the PA at the race ?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    So Ganna has three TTs to go for, which would be amazing if he could bag them all, but I'm also interested to see what else he can do. Will he be asked to help Thomas and if yes, where?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    No fractures for Superman, but surgery needed on a deep wound
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    sherer said:

RichN95. said:

Mad_Malx said:

I am heading there now.

yeah i heard that too. Was he doing the PA at the race ?

No, he was doing the Eurosport commentary for the Binck Bank Tour
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

No fractures for Superman, but surgery needed on a deep wound

That could have been really nasty. It was a weird crash, it almost looked like he was riding backwards by time he hit the barriers.
  • 50x11 said:

50x11 said:

inseine said:

50x11 said:

Ahem...
    @notquite6foot

Well the fact the runners of the race have differentiated between the disciplines. You know what I meant, you've been shown up and are playing smart.
    If the nature of my response to your Giro tweet post offended you, then I apologise. That was not my intention.

I honestly believed your original reply to me was intended literally as opposed to meaning "prologue ITT ≠ non-prologue ITT for record purposes". Hence the crossing of lines and my replies.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

RichN95. said:

GC hopefuls

Almeida -
    Thomas +0.01
    Yates +0.27
    Oomen +0.49
    Knox +0.51
    Vlasov +0.58
    Zakarin +1.04
    Kelderman +1.06
    Nibali +1.07
    Kruijswijk +1.22
    Fuglsang +1.25
    Ciccone +1.53
    Majka +1.38

How can a GC rider lose a minute on their main rival, over a 15km TT? do they not practice their TT? FFS they have three of these to do!
    Thomas, just like Ganna has a strong background in track cycling with multiple olympic gold medals and world championships. So despite Thomas being a GC, he is a beast in the TT.

That is also why Thomas wanted to go to the Giro as it is expected that he will crush everyone in the TT’s.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

jimmyjams said:

RichN95. said:

GC hopefuls

Almeida -
    Thomas +0.01
    Yates +0.27
    Oomen +0.49
    Knox +0.51
    Vlasov +0.58
    Zakarin +1.04
    Kelderman +1.06
    Nibali +1.07
    Kruijswijk +1.22
    Fuglsang +1.25
    Ciccone +1.53
    Majka +1.38

Pernsteiner, Masnada, Valter, Kangert, Haig, Hindley and McNulty: any of these could squeeze into 8th, 9th or 10th slots.
    If only top-5 was meant by Rich95, I don't disagree with you, but then I wonder why Knox and Zakarin, and to an even greater extent, why Oomen and Ciccione were included in Rich95's list. I'd be very surprised if any of them end up top-5.

Well, we'll see, and I'll be glad if any of them prove me wrong.

Of your suggestions, I agree Pernsteiner and McNulty as possible top-10.
    I'd like to see Kangert (whom you mention) do well, but he has not realised the potential from a few years ago ….. maybe a stage win?

Masnada (whom you mention), plus Ciccione and Zacharin (both from Rich95's hopeful list) I'd guess are all more potential winners of the climber jersey, than GC contenders.
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    jimmyjams said:

If only top-5 was meant by Rich95, I don't disagree with you, but then I wonder why Knox and Zakarin, and to an even greater extent, why Oomen and Ciccione were included in Rich95's list. I'd be very surprised if any of them end up top-5.

I didn't give it that much thought. I just got the list off this tweet. There's only so much room on a tweet. (I left off Hagen as he's really not that good). If you've got a problem then take it up with Felix