Grand Départ 2020 - Stage 2: Nice Haut Pays - Nice 186 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    edited August 2020

When did Sagan get dropped? He's not in green tomorrow.

Kristoff in green. He'll be delighted with that.

The way Sagan looked on the second climb, the fact that Trentin comfortably beat him in the sprint, I'd say green is up for grabs this year if someone (maybe Trentin) really targets it.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

The predictable winner after a pretty dour affair, ridden on the slowest schedule.

Don't know which is the more worrying: the way that Jumbo completely evaporated under minimal pressure, or that the French government will announce tomorrow morning that the race is cancelled.

In fairness, they looked pretty good until Kwiatkowski took out Dumoulin whereupon they sensibly decided to knock off the chase.
    Dumoulin ended up being first Jumbo over the line. Roglic was almost last in the bunch.
    Bennett lost a minute and a quarter and Kuss lost over two minutes.
    So, yeah, those pair certainly knocked it off.
    Lucky they didn't have an incident like Valverde. ;)

Dani Martinez shipped over three and a half minutes, so EF have old man Uran and young boy Higuita left in contention.
    How do we think Dumoulin got back in? We didn't see it so we'll just have to surmise for now. Possibly, he rode the finale a good 30 seconds faster than anyone else all on his own despite Ineos and Astana hammering it on the front, in which case, he's now the favourite in my eyes. Or, perhaps, just perhaps, Jumbo's support riders, Kuss and Bennett, dropped back and sacrificed themselves to bring one of their two team leaders back into the bunch.
    No, it was Van Aert who gave Dumoulin an assist. Roglic was always in the bunch.

However, my point still stands.
    Jumbo did a lot of unnecessary work during the stage, then left their two leaders without help, 12 kms from the finish.
    You just don't do that to rest a domestique and risk losing the Tour to a mechanical or puncture. (Valverde on the descent being a perfect example)
    Bennett did a turn and has an excuse after his crash yesterday, but Kuss?
    Two weeks ago the guy was on a different level to Tour leaders and today he was blown away like a leaf in the Mistral.

Hopefully, Rick will be able to report back after De avondetappe, with what they had to say.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    DeadCalm said:

How do we think Dumoulin got back in?

a couple of team mates dropped back for him

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    BREAKING NEWS: Rest of the Tour cancelled, Alaphillipe declared winner

(Joke)
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeadCalm

(Joke)

Hilarious. I expect a lot of thought went into that one.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464

The predictable winner

Predictable maybe, but he does it with such style.
    I'm not sure what's stylish about flicking your wheel out towards other riders while gurning.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeadCalm
    gsk82 said:

The predictable winner

Predictable maybe, but he does it with such style.
    I'm not sure what's stylish about flicking your wheel out towards other riders while gurning.
    I suppose that depends on your definition of style but, incontrovertibly in my opinion, one of the most exciting, attack-minded riders in the pro peloton today.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm said:

When did Sagan get dropped? He's not in green tomorrow.

Kristoff in green. He'll be delighted with that.

The way Sagan looked on the second climb, the fact that Trentin comfortably beat him in the sprint, I'd say green is up for grabs this year if someone (maybe Trentin) really targets it.
    Worth bearing in mind that Sagan was only wearing green today as there were people ahead of him who were wearing more prestigious jerseys, so he was only borrowing it, as it were.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    DeadCalm said:

(Joke)

Sorry for the poor attempt at levity, I should stick to wanking myself silly over Roi Julien's panache
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeadCalm said:

(Joke)

Sorry for the poor attempt at levity, I should stick to wanking myself silly over Roi Julien's panache
    As long as you wear a mask.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Top posting.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    DeadCalm said:

The predictable winner after a pretty dour affair, ridden on the slowest schedule.

Don't know which is the more worrying: the way that Jumbo completely evaporated under minimal pressure, or that the French government will announce tomorrow morning that the race is cancelled.

In fairness, they looked pretty good until Kwiatkowski took out Dumoulin whereupon they sensibly decided to knock off the chase.
    This is the question did jumbo just fade or did they knock it off .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

(Joke)

As long as you wear a mask.
    In my youth, a mask would have been useful. These days not really needed.
    Team My Man 2022:

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Dumoulin ended up being first Jumbo over the line. Roglic was almost last in the bunch.

Dani Martinez shipped over three and a half minutes, so EF have old man Uran and young boy Higuita left in contention.
    How do we think Dumoulin got back in? We didn't see it so we'll just have to surmise for now. Possibly, he rode the finale a good 30 seconds faster than anyone else all on his own despite Ineos and Astana hammering it on the front, in which case, he's now the favourite in my eyes. Or, perhaps, just perhaps, Jumbo's support riders, Kuss and Bennett, dropped back and sacrificed themselves to bring one of their two team leaders back into the bunch.
    No, it was Van Aert who gave Dumoulin an assist. Roglic was always in the bunch.

Jumbo did a lot of unnecessary work during the stage, then left their two leaders without help, 12 kms from the finish.
    You just don't do that to rest a domestique and risk losing the Tour to a mechanical or puncture. (Valverde on the descent being a perfect example)
    Two weeks ago the guy was on a different level to Tour leaders and today he was blown away like a leaf in the Mistral.

Hopefully, Rick will be able to report back after De avondetappe, with what they had to say.

That is exactly my thoughts about Jumbo-Visma. I did not understand why Jumbo-Visma was pulling the lead group by themselves while Ineos was just chilling in the group enjoying all the hard work Jumbo-Visma was doing.

This is exactly the reason why I have bet on Bernal this year despite Roglic being the favourite, as Ineos knows how to win the TdF.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    zest28 said:

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

That is exactly my thoughts about Jumbo-Visma. I did not understand why Jumbo-Visma was pulling the lead group by themselves while Ineos was just chilling in the group enjoying all the hard work Jumbo-Visma was doing.

This is exactly the reason why I have bet on Bernal this year despite Roglic being the favourite, as Ineos knows how to win the TdF.
    I don't think they were pulling particularly hard. It looked like a bit of a stroll. Even towards the end the front three weren't going all out up or down the climb, but we're still taking time until the last 2km
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

Ah ok, Ned & Dave didn't pick up on that...

Maybe time for some podcasts for an hour. Unfortunately I can't mute either ITV or GCN apps to have it on in the background...

Anyone recommend any decent TDF podcasts? I used to subscribe to the ITV one but it's become virtually unlistenable recently.
    Try Lanterne Rouge
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • If lounging around in the peloton whilst the strongest team does all the work is such a great tactic, why has it singularly failed for anyone else in however many years Ineos/Sky have been dominating?
  • A win not only for disk brakes today, but also clincher tyres. That should keep a few purists frothing for a while.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Today was Jumbo doing a good impression of Movistar for the last 3 or 4 years.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472

If lounging around in the peloton whilst the strongest team does all the work is such a great tactic, why has it singularly failed for anyone else in however many years Ineos/Sky have been dominating?

Sky stopped doing it a few years ago when it was no longer the right tactic for their leader. It feels a bit like Jumbo (and, as above Movistar in recent years) are taking the approach that it worked for Sky so that's the way to win the Tour these days rather than working out what's best for them.

It might be the right tactic and worked in the Dauphine but it's going to be tough doing it for 3 weeks, especially now the teams are smaller. In recent Tours Sky / Ineos seem to have split their team so that riders have key roles spread over the duration. I thought they played it well today, always near the front but only actually on the front at the key moment.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Anyone with a young cyclist, show them this!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    edited August 2020
    Within your lane for the majority of us. 😉

Yes, Ive seen people descending on the wrong side of the road. 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,571

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

“Alles prima”

(All good).

They’re mainly blown away by how chill Dumoulin is in the post-race chat. Joking with the interviewer etc.

• rick_chasey
    ddraver said:
    Untill some chopper comes steaming in on the inside to take your place
  • rick_chasey

A win not only for disk brakes today, but also clincher tyres. That should keep a few purists frothing for a while.

Dutch camera men doing some shots of the descent off the Turini. I was surprised how noisy the brakes were.

• DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

“Alles prima”

(All good).

They’re mainly blown away by how chill Dumoulin is in the post-race chat. Joking with the interviewer etc.

Interesting.
    The benefit of having a team mate in Roglic carrying the favourite tag, one assumes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036

A win not only for disk brakes today, but also clincher tyres. That should keep a few purists frothing for a while.

Dutch camera men doing some shots of the descent off the Turini. I was surprised how noisy the brakes were.

they'll need to change the pads tonight. One thing I hate about disks is how noisy they get after a bit of use - but I only MTB on them.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

Maybe time for some podcasts for an hour. Unfortunately I can't mute either ITV or GCN apps to have it on in the background...

Anyone recommend any decent TDF podcasts? I used to subscribe to the ITV one but it's become virtually unlistenable recently.
    What are you after?

I'm not opposed to informal but I'd like something where I can get some reasonably informed opinion rather than 4 blokes talking over each other, trying, and generally failing, to be funny.
    If you want analysis then move is ok - with all the caveats of Armstrong et al making a point but Breukink is rarely wrong.

Wiggins isn’t short of an opinion but again it is often about him.

I don’t tend to listen to the cycling podcast in the Tour (no Friebe) but they are quite good with the ‘narrative’, being journos and all.
    I wrote Breukink but I mean Bruyneel. Breukink is often wrong tbf.
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

ddraver said:

What are you after?

I'm not opposed to informal but I'd like something where I can get some reasonably informed opinion rather than 4 blokes talking over each other, trying, and generally failing, to be funny.
    If you want analysis then move is ok - with all the caveats of Armstrong et al making a point but Breukink is rarely wrong.

Wiggins isn’t short of an opinion but again it is often about him.

I don’t tend to listen to the cycling podcast in the Tour (no Friebe) but they are quite good with the ‘narrative’, being journos and all.
    I wrote Breukink but I mean Bruyneel. Breukink is often wrong tbf.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm listening to the Move right now. Pretty good so far.
    Team My Man 2022:

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    davidof said:

they'll need to change the pads tonight. One thing I hate about disks is how noisy they get after a bit of use - but I only MTB on them.
    Mine are silent generally. All bike disk brakes are super loud in the wet afaik though.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023