New UCI calendar

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    edited August 2020

Groenewegen has to be DQ'd according to the CN thread.

I don't really see how he can't be...and the rest...*

There are really no extenuating circumstances here.

*assuming he gets up from his own crash...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,333
    He seemed to have his shoulder out pushing Jakobsen further across until he just couldn't stay upright. What were those barriers though? They just vanished.
  • ddraver said:

Groenewegen has to be DQ'd according to the CN thread.

I don't really see how he can't be...and the rest...

There are really no extenuating circumstances here.
    Well, apparently that has now been changed to results still to be confirmed.
    Ambulances are on site and much blood but other than that it's a developing situation as they say.

Probably the fastest crash ever, given it's downhill.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    edited August 2020

He seemed to have his shoulder out pushing Jakobsen further across until he just couldn't stay upright. What were those barriers though? They just vanished.

From the overhead shot it looks as Jakobsen was coming past GW stuck out his elbow and then leaned on him to push him into the barriers. It looked deliberate - but slow motion exaggerates that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    It looks like the poor spectator he went in to is the most seriously injured. Speculation he was the race referee.
  • RichN95.
    redvision said:

It looks like the poor spectator he went in to is the most seriously injured. Speculation he was the race referee.

Photo finish guy I heard
  • RichN95. said:

redvision said:

Photo finish guy I heard
    He was taking a photo so yes.
    Hit at 75+kph full on.
    Doesn't bare thinking about.
  • redvision
    edited August 2020
    Really hope he's ok.
  • Now again I stress this is from the CN forum , but if true, it's bad; similar to last year.
    The poster is Polish:

Polish TV: Fabio Jakobsen is already in medically inducted coma because of his state

Polish facebook groups: race commisar who was hit on the head on the finish line is in critical state, resuscitation on the finish line.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020

Now again I stress this is from the CN forum , but if true, it's bad; similar to last year.
    The poster is Polish:

Polish TV: Fabio Jakobsen is already in medically inducted coma because of his state

Polish facebook groups: race commisar who was hit on the head on the finish line is in critical state, resuscitation on the finish line.

The bit about Jakobsen was posted by Polish TV via one of their reporters. Senechal said he was the first to get to Jakobsen and held his head. He posted a picture of his blood drenched gloves.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    From someone at the scene - Jakobson - Muscle relaxing drugs, induced coma, intubated. He was taken to the hospital. His condition is serious.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,880
    edited August 2020
    The race commie isn't critical now being reported.
    Jakobsen has Internal bleeding.

A year to the very day.........

The best site I know for getting the results is this one.
    Jakobsen declared the winner and Groenewegen confirmed as given the boot.

https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=19&y=2020&k=1&e=1
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    Ugh awful.

• gweeds
    DG rightly DQ’d but I don’t think he put him there deliberately. It wasn’t a switch and IMO that gap was always dodgy to go for. I just don’t see one sprinter ever wanting to see another crash like that.

Downhill sprints are a terrible idea.

And as Jeremy Whittle has just tweeted “ I’m now - like many I expect - totally aghast to learn that less than a metre on the other side of the flimsy barriers of this downhill high speed sprint, was a railway line and some low concrete posts. How is this considered okay or professional acceptable on any level at all?”
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    Dude, he stars in the middle of the road and ends so close up against the barrier he almost crashes himself.

Either that's wrong or sprint stages will now only ever be won by the 1km to 400m to go leadout man....
    - @ddraver
  • redvision
    gweeds said:

DG rightly DQ’d but I don’t think he put him there deliberately. It wasn’t a switch and IMO that gap was always dodgy to go for. I just don’t see one sprinter ever wanting to see another crash like that.

I hope not but the camera footage from behind the sprint clearly show him looking where jakobson was.

• gweeds
    Actually having just watched it again I didn’t realise how far he comes across. So yeah, fair comment.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Jumbo-Visma not releasing a statement for now, taking a lot of flak on Twitter:

• gweeds
    redvision said:

gweeds said:

I hope not but the camera footage from behind the sprint clearly show him looking where jakobson was.

Not great then. Haven’t seen that angle.

• ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    Season ban coming for DG? Can't say doesn't deserve.
  • gweeds
  • gweeds
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    I can't see anything that shows him looking over and doing it on purpose.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Ignoring the severity of this, compare and contrast with Sagan & Cavendish at the TdF
  • That overhead is one of the rare instances where slo-mo sanitises things. Full speed, when you can appreciate the ferocity of the physics, is far more shocking.

Hoping he pulls through.
  • gsk82 said:

I can't see anything that shows him looking over and doing it on purpose.

Pretty much nobody looks over when changing their line in a sprint and therein lies the problem.

In any case, the UCI are of a different mind:

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) strongly condemns the dangerous behaviour of rider Dylan Groenewegen (Jumbo-Wisma), who sent Fabio Jakobsen (Deceuninck-Quickstep) into the barriers a few metres from the finish, causing a collective crash at the end of the first stage of the Tour of Poland.

Groenewegen was disqualified from the race by the commissaires' panel.

The UCI, which considers the behaviour unacceptable, immediately referred the matter to the Disciplinary Commission to request the imposition of sanctions commensurate with the seriousness of the facts.

To me this reads as Jumbo will no longer have a TDF selection issue between GC and sprint support riders.

From Polish reports it looks as if Jakobsen has had first rate care and the full range of tests etc.
    The fact that he has surgery scheduled for tomorrow is positive and doctors appear cautiously optimistic.