New UCI calendar

Comments

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    RCS announce teams for their races:

https://www.milanosanremo.it/en/news/2020-rcs-sport-races-list-of-teams-announced/?refresh_ce-cp

MVDP could race them all but the Giro. I'd assume Strade, and MSR will suit him perfectly.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    He’s been reconning PR and Flanders today and yesterday.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • 50x11
    gweeds said:

He’s been reconning PR and Flanders today and yesterday.

Not surprised, I'm pretty certain the boy will win everything he desires.

All of the above and the two you added, I wouldn't be surprised if he won them all this year.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    edited July 2020
    While I would enjoy that, I would certainly be surprised if he actually won them all.

MSR is probably the biggest goal for Gilbert this season.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    Guess I'd better start thinking of the PTP schedule.

Before I start trawling through the UCI website, does anyone have an easily accessible summary of the new season schedule?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    dish_dash said:

Before I start trawling through the UCI website, does anyone have an easily accessible summary of the new season schedule?

Assuming you only need the re-arranged World Tour calendar.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/races.php
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash

dish_dash said:

Assuming you only need the re-arranged World Tour calendar.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/races.php
    thank you!
  • dish_dash
    First time I've actually take a look at the revised schedule in any detail. Plenty of doubling up going on.

Some thoughts:
    - Mads Petersen doesn't get to wear the WC jersey much if he doesn't ride the Tour.
    - Curiously the World Championships and Paris Tours seem to have managed to come out of the reshuffle on exactly the same dates as originally intended.
    - Wonder what Il Lombardia so early in the season will be like. Tune up for the Tour, though most would presumably be riding the Dauphine?
    - For the riders its either the Giro or the Classics. And Sagan's gone for the former.
    - Paris Tours and Ghent Wevelgem on the same day. Both traditionally sprinter races which have tried to reinvent themselves. We know which Quickstep will ride :smiley:
    - Vuelta really will be an end of season party or a desperate attempt to salvage a season.
    - I can't imagine the Tour of Guanxi actually happening, and do wonder about the Montreal/Quebec races also.
    - PR will take the Lombardy slot; there will be some shattered riders by the time it comes around.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    On the Pedersen thing, the Cycling Podcast suggested an agreement that he gets to wear it next season as well as whoever wins it this year
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

On the Pedersen thing, the Cycling Podcast suggested an agreement that he gets to wear it next season as well as whoever wins it this year

That would be silly. He could've won it then broke his leg. S*** happens.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    gsk82 said:

That would be silly. He could've won it then broke his leg. S*** happens.

Agreed. I could see an arrangement where he could wear for the rest of this year in races that would have pre-dated the Worlds. Maybe only when the new WC is not in the race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    No Superga in Milano Torino. Pan flat instead.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    Geraint will start his season at a three-day stage race in France [most likely La Route d’Occitanie from August 1, alongside Egan Bernal] before heading to the shortened five-stage Critérium du Dauphiné from August 12.

Thomas will then recce stages of the Tour de France.

Mitchelton-Scott has announced they will not be targeting the yellow jersey at this year’s Tour de France, as they go all in for the Giro d’Italia with Simon Yates.

Not sure what Adam thinks about that as he is doing the Tour.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    edited July 2020

Geraint will start his season at a three-day stage race in France [most likely La Route d’Occitanie from August 1, alongside Egan Bernal] before heading to the shortened five-stage Critérium du Dauphiné from August 12.

Thomas will then recce stages of the Tour de France.

Mitchelton-Scott has announced they will not be targeting the yellow jersey at this year’s Tour de France, as they go all in for the Giro d’Italia with Simon Yates.

Not sure what Adam thinks about that as he is doing the Tour.

Probably an acceptance that with all the main contenders there he doesn't have much of a hope? Is he due to ride the Vuelta and maybe target that instead although that will be hard with the A team at the Giro?
  • takethehighroad
    Cycling race KLAXON

One week until top level racing returns. The Sibiu Tour returns next Thursday, a 5 stage 4 day race in Romania.

Looking at the profiles it seems quite mountainous and has been won by Egan Bernal in the past.

Startlist this year includes Giovanni Visconti, Francesco Gavazzi and MVDP. Also, Davide Rebellin who raced against Adri van der Poel when MVDP was a nipper

https://procyclingstats.com/race/sibiu-cycling-tour/2020/overview
  • 50x11
    MVDP and his Alpecin-fenix team withdraw from the Sibiu Tour with health and safety concerns. Due to advice pertaining to Orange zones.

He'll start at Strade

• RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    50x11 said:

MVDP and his Alpecin-fenix team withdraw from the Sibiu Tour with health and safety concerns. Due to advice pertaining to Orange zones.

A rare case of a Dutchman being averse to something orange.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Hat!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    50x11 said:

He'll start at Strade

Belgium introduced a quarantine recommendation for travelers returning from Romania, and they don't want to risk that to turn into mandatory 2 week isolation, potentially costing van der Poel the participation in the Italian classics.

On off, they're in they're out.
    It's going to be the story of the season I'm afraid.
    Everybody dealing with different sets of ever changing advice and regulations.
  • blazing_saddles
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/the-first-worldtour-stage-race-back-will-take-place-without-fans-or-media-460075

The Tour of Poland, the first WorldTour stage race back after the coronavirus break, will be held behind closed doors with strict coronavirus measures in place.

Fans will be banned from the start and finish locations, while media representatives have not been invited and the publicity caravan has been scrapped.

With journalists, photographers and television crews barred, race organisers say they will produce their own media and content with their own people who have undergone the necessary medical tests.

Not sure there's a lot of point holding a race behind closed doors and potentially without coverage, if that is what they are intimating.
    Zero use to sponsors.
  • blazing_saddles
    Even better news.
    The IOC in their wisdom re-schedule the Olympic road races to clash with the final weekend of the Tour.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/olympics/reschuled-2021-olympic-cycling-dates-currently-clash-with-tour-de-france-460074
  • RichN95.

With journalists, photographers and television crews barred, race organisers say they will produce their own media and content with their own people who have undergone the necessary medical tests.

Not sure there's a lot of point holding a race behind closed doors and potentially without coverage, if that is what they are intimating.
    Zero use to sponsors.

I think they mean a ban on additional photographers and TV cameras other than the ones they will provide themselves. This should be standard.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

Looking forward to a good lineup for Route d’Occitanie as stage 4 will come through the village just down the road from us..... that will screw a few Strava segments.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Gunning hard to WFH through September...
  • takethehighroad
    The Sibiu Cycling Tour starts Thursday and will be live streamed on Facebook and elsewhere. All the details including stage profiles here
  • rick_chasey
    When do the proper races start?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    August 1st.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020
    Strade Bianche, right?

Then a week later it's MSR, then the Dauphine and the Tour of Lombardy, then a bunch of B-list races and then the Tour on the 29th August.

Is that right?
  • rick_chasey
    Shout out to the world's a week after the Tour. Much more like it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    dabber said:

Looking forward to a good lineup for Route d’Occitanie as stage 4 will come through the village just down the road from us..... that will screw a few Strava segments.

Sounded like Froome & Bernal will be a d'Occitanie while Thomas rides Tour de l'Ain

d'Occitanie is looking good, particularly stage 3.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format