New UCI calendar

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    gweeds said:

Changes to MSR route as those 13 mayors refuse to close roads. So it doesn’t hit the coast until 40km to go but adds a climb in that 40km now. Total length of race is 299km.

How many of those mayors were called Filippo Gilberto?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    edited July 2020
    I understand it to be 12 of the 13, with the other being Alan Juliaphillipe.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    RichN95. said:

gweeds said:

Changes to MSR route as those 13 mayors refuse to close roads. So it doesn’t hit the coast until 40km to go but adds a climb in that 40km now. Total length of race is 299km.

How many of those mayors were called Filippo Gilberto?
    It’s quite a different route relatively speaking.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Maximum of 6 per team, too, so Androni and Bardiani have been added to the list of teams taking part.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey

Maximum of 6 per team, too, so Androni and Bardiani have been added to the list of teams taking part.

It's going to be nuts if you only have 6 people for 300km. Impossible to control
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,597

It's going to be nuts if you only have 6 people for 300km. Impossible to control
    I think Filippo Gilbertoni was in charge of that decision too
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    One hell of a strong field likely for Strade Bianche. Could be a pretty hot one too.
  • RichN95.
    Luke Durbridge made a good point on Mitch Docker's podcast today. He thought that Australians will do well this year as they are used to coming out of the off-season all guns blazing and don't really ease themselves into it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited July 2020
    Edit: moved it to the more covid related thread as it seemed more relevant there.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    The UCI have released next year's calendar and the TDF has been moved:

26 June-18 July: Tour de France.

Nice of them seeing I rearranged a cancelled fortnight for June 18th, so I would be back the day before it was due to start. :(

Also, Ride London has been dropped from the WT.
    Not that it'll be missed.
  • rick_chasey
    Shame.

Granted I lived on the route but I loved having it go past.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    Copenhagen Bike Radar meet-up moved to 2022.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020

Jumbo have thrown a strop:

“Irresponsible and ridiculous decision. The fact that this request is granted is incomprehensible for our governance less than 14 days before the start.”
    Richard Plugge.

It's all to do with new UCI restrictions on the maximum size of the peloton.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020
    Hahaha the team with a top sprinter who can barely get over rail bridges is annoyed the race is less controllable?

I am shocked
  • Tour de l'Ain On Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    Check out these starting line ups.

Ineos

A Amador
    E Bernal
    J Castroveijo
    C Froome
    T Geoghegan Hart
    G Thomas

Jumbo

G Bennett
    T Dumoulin
    R Gesink
    S Kruijswijk
    T Martin
    P Roglic.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    edited August 2020
    I like that Jumbo lineup more than Ineos; BUT I still very much believe in Froome in the big races.

Then again the Ineos Tour lineup will be stronger with Rowe and Kwiatkowski etc.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

I like that Jumbo lineup more than Ineos; BUT I still very much believe in Froome in the big races.

Then again the Ineos Tour lineup will be stronger with Rowe and Kwiatkowski etc.

It's a three day race though, with one mountain stage.
  • RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

It's a three day race though, with one mountain stage.
    I'd say it's one and a half mountain stages.

• IL PERCORSO

Stage n. 1 Lido di Camaiore - Lido di Camaiore (133km)

Stage divided into two parts both in circuit. In the first 90 km, you cross the circuit of Monte Pitoro 3 times (climb from the Massarosa side) for about 26 km down to Camaiore. After the third passage, two almost complete laps of a large circuit of about 19 km between Pietrasanta and Lido di Camaiore start completely flat

Stage n. 2 - Camaiore - Follonica (201km)

Stage moved and articulated especially in the second part. Departure from Camaiore and through Montemagno we reach Pisa and then the Livornese to abandon the completely flat part and go up to Castellina Marittima (GPM) where continuing south we cross Riparbella and Canneto (TV). Once you have completed the long stretch that follows mainly downhill, you enter the 20 km final circuit characterized by the very short "Imostino" tear

Stage n. 3 - Follonica - Saturnia (217km)

Very long and wavy stage. We cross the Grosseto area to turn inland to Capalbio. Climb the Wall of Poggio Murella for the first time (slopes up to 20%) to pass near Saturnia and touching Sovana, Sorano and Pitigliano and return a second time to climb the Wall of Poggio Murella from whose top there will be less than 9 km arrival. Last kilometers for the first part downhill and therefore always uphill until the arrival with slopes around 6/7%.

Stage n. 4 - Terni - Cascia (194km)

First stage of Montagna. You reach the maximum altitude of this Tyrrhenian-Adriatic EOLO at the GPM called Rifugio Perugia at an altitude of 1521 m. First part, almost flat, made up of undulations and false slopes always rising. After Castelsantangelo sul Nera begins the very demanding part of the Sibillini Mountains. Climb the Forca di Gualdo which leads to the plain of Castelluccio. Wide roads always uphill to touch the double digit. Follows the ascent to the Perugia Refuge (the building is located just after the descent) and the descent to the outskirts of Norcia to face the last stretch of Ospedaletto. Last kilometers for the first part downhill to the town of Cascia where the road climbs with a mild average slope.

Stage n. 5 - Norcia - Sassotetto (202km)

Very demanding stage with numerous climbs including 3 classified GPM. At the start, climb the Forca di Ancarano (not classified as GPM) to enter the Sibillini mountains. After Visso you go up to the Sanctuary of Macereto preceded by the Santa Margherita hill. Once Polverina is reached, a sequence of ascents and descents begins that does not have moments of breath and / or plain until the arrival. The climbs of San Ginesio, Gualdo and Penna San Giovanni are climbed among others. The track is extremely articulated both altimetrically and planimetrically. Final climb to Sassotetto da Sarnano of 14.2 km at 5.8% on average and with maxima up to 12%. The last kilometers of the stage coincide with the final climb to Sassotetto. It is an ascent with a fairly constant slope between 6 and 7% with some local peaks over 10% and consisting of long straights interspersed with hairpin bends. The slope softens close to the finish line.

Stage n. 6 - Castelfidardo - Senigallia (175km)

Undulating stage in the first part and then flat, not particularly demanding. From Numana, through Ancona (external part), Offagna, Jesi and Ostra there is an approach to Senigallia where you will cover 4 laps of a circuit of about 16 km. Completely flat, it takes place between wide and well-paved city streets and the surrounding countryside where wide roads with sometimes worn coat are covered. Last 3 km entirely citizens with the last curve at 1000 m.

Stage n. 7 - Pieve Torina - Loreto (181km)

It is the stage of the walls. They are all concentrated in the 3 laps of the circuit that lead the race to face the ascent of Loreto 3 times (which constitutes the finish plus 3 times the passage to another area) and 3 times that of Recanati (see Paul Leopardi). Approaching constantly downhill from the Sibillini Mountains passing through Camerino and having reached the valley of the Potenza river, the Montefano and Osimo climbs are tackled before entering the final circuit. 25 km final circuit which plans to tackle the two climbs of Loreto and Recanati. Last kilometers all uphill with slopes around 10%.
  • The 77th Tour de Pologne also starts today and also has rather diluted parcour for Remco Evenepoel, Max Schachmann and the rest to perform on.

This being, on paper, the only GC stage,

All profiles can be viewed here:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-pologne/2020/stage-1/stages/all-stage-profiles
  • gweeds
    Absolutely horrific crash in Poland. Worst I’ve ever seen.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    Groenewegen may have caused a terrible incident.
    Worst I've seen too
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    That was horrible. Groenwegen clearly moved at least twice to close him off and into the barriers.
  • The slow motion replays, too.
    Ugh
  • gweeds
    Fucking host broadcasters just repeat the footage 5 or 6 times. That must have been 60kph. Old chap hit hard but what the fuck was he doing stood there anyway. He might, fingers crossed, have slowed him a little.
  • gweeds
    Someone take Uncle Pat’s phone away.
  • Groenewegen has to be DQ'd according to the CN thread.
  • ddraver said:
    He's having a really bad day.
    One of his boys caused a crash in Milan-Torino and Yves Lampaert looked to come off worst. Broken Collarbone it looked like.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    I'll keep an eye on the CN thread as they have posters in the area and more input.

According to them, the after-stage winner ceremony is cancelled and Jakobsen is conscious.
    He may even have won the stage.....