Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,760

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

By background (gender, ethnicity, sexuality, disabilities, education, socioeconomic etc) but also “thought” diversity.

People with different backgrounds often have different perspectives, so one usually follows the other.

Sexuality? I wouldn't consider that to be anyone's business and certainly wouldn't consider hiring a gay man/woman as adding diversity.
    I wanted to get back to this.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way around.

I think there are firms, and industries where it is more difficult to be openly gay and that may prohibit people from either being part of the firm/industry or feeling they are able to be themselves if they are.

To take an extreme, I don't think there are many, if any, openly gay male footballers in the premier league, for example. That's obviously not ideal.

Also if there's a firm or team-wide culture of homophobic jokes/banter, that can put people off working there or make it more difficult for people to fit in.

What different perspective does a gay person bring simply by virtue of being gay?

I'm sure there are industries where it might be more difficult to be 'openly gay' but, in my experience, a lot of homophobes don't have anything against the actual fact of being gay more than the caricature of the effeminate gay man (which, interestingly, the majority of gay men don't go for). This is why I think Pride tends to do a disservice to the gay community (having said that a gay friend of mine says they put up with it as he said they're often the same kind of people who fought for gay rights) as it promotes that image.

Regarding the banter, it depends what it is. Surely, the ideal would be that gay people get treated exactly the same as straight people.

You really can't imagine that a person's sexuality and specifically that it is viewed by a large part of the world as abnormal or deviant, might affect their experiences and form part of their view of the world?

And why equate "openly gay" with effeminate. These are two different things.

In the UK, like I mentioned upthread, your sexuality is not your identity and there is no reason to think that there is more diversity between a gay person and a straight person than there is between two straight people.

I'm not equating the two, I put it in scare quotes as I didn't know what he meant and found it very vague. It would be a bit strange for me to think being openly gay meant being effeminate given what I wrote just after that.
    Fair enough. My misunderstanding. I think it would be more accurate to say that it doesn't have to be a key part of your identity. That said, if you are part of a majority, it's much more likely that your membership of that majority is not considered part of your identity. And vice versa. If you are or perceive yourself to be in a minority, you are more likely to consider membership of that minority part of your identity. For example, whiteness has only really started to be taken up as an important part of people's identity where they perceive (wrongly in most cases) that whiteness is threatened in some way. Where there's no perceived threat, it just becomes a default background of no significance.
    If you go somewhere where everyone isn't white, you may change your view.
    Sure. I don't think identity is a fixed thing. It's at least partly consciously constructed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,859
    Edward Colston statue replaced with Black Lives Matter protester

A sculpture of protester Jen Reid has been installed on Colston's empty plinth

Well that didn't take long

Not very original either.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,820
    edited July 2020

Erm, given the glove, I imagine this is the reference:

But anyway. I'd have thought given the furore over the last one they'd maybe let things calm down before installing a new one. And perhaps one that was going to make everyone happy.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Can she swim?
    I'm sure someone will test her out in the near future. ;)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,319
    It's there now, no matter the history of why it was put up, it's a work of public art by a renowned artist, and should not be removed.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,866

It's there now, no matter the history of why it was put up, it's a work of public art by a renowned artist, and should not be removed.

Isn't that how this all began?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

They'll need a referendum to decide.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    A sculpture of protester Jen Reid was erected early on Wednesday in Bristol city centre where the Colston statue was pulled down last month.

Ms Reid had been photographed standing on the empty plinth after the Colston statue was toppled during the march.

Artist Marc Quinn said the sculpture did not have formal consent.

He said the black resin statue - called A Surge of Power - was a "temporary public installation".

Mr Quinn said he was inspired to create it after seeing an image of Ms Reid standing on the plinth with her fist raised during Black Lives matter protests.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • blazing_saddles

Erm, given the glove, I imagine this is the reference:

But anyway. I'd have thought given the furore over the last one they'd maybe let things calm down before installing a new one. And perhaps one that was going to make everyone happy.
    Given the beret I thought this was the reference.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

They'll need a referendum to decide.
    Deja vu.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    At least this one doesn't need to be refrigerated like some of his other sculptures.
  • Can she swim?
    I'm sure someone will test her out in the near future. ;)

:smiley::smiley:
  • blazing_saddles
    My suggestion for next up: The Grand Old Duke of York.

The radical black mayor of Bristol is turning out to be not so radical after all.
  • blazing_saddles

The radical black mayor of Bristol is turning out to be not so radical after all.
    Here's another story. 2 men arrested and have been locked up over night for shouting racist "comments" ( suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53427334

Except, it's not 2 men locked up as one is a 14 year old kid.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,050

What was so 'radical' about him before?
  • kingstongraham
    He seems to have been eminently sensible about the removal of both statues. And about how they shouldn't be taking up so much of his time.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,050

He seems to have been eminently sensible about the removal of both statues. And about how they shouldn't be taking up so much of his time.

I wouldn't entirely put it past him and the people of Bristol to re-erect the statue (maybe in bronze) after a proper process.
  • blazing_saddles

Here's another story. 2 men arrested and have been locked up over night for shouting racist "comments" ( suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53427334

Except, it's not 2 men locked up as one is a 14 year old kid.
    Just to update. The two men line has been corrected to one man and a boy.

I expect they had it pointed out to them that describing a rape or abduction victim as a 14 year old woman might cause quite a bit of outcry and rightly so.
  • pblakeney
    Revisionist history at it's worst.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-53436447
    It may not be nice today, but the fact remains that it was the dog's name.
    What next? Arnie to become Arnold Weißerbodybuilder?
    Roger Black to be erased from history?
    Cilla Black to revert to her original name or erased?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    In some film showings, I believe the dog's name has been replaced by 'Digger'
    As you say, revisionist history.
    His name was his name, regardless of whether it causes offence.
  • blazing_saddles
    pblakeney said:

I came to post about this too.
    My jaw hit the floor.
    Insanely stupid gesture. The dog has been dead for 75 years, so I don't think it will be coming when called by it's "new" name.
    They would be better off borrowing from Clint and make him "The dog with no name."
    In this case, history really is being re-written.

And that piece from the ever vigilant BBC almost makes the dog sound racist.

• ballysmate
    Do the people who come up with these ways to rewrite history consider black people too stupid to understand?
  • ballysmate

pblakeney said:

I came to post about this too.
    My jaw hit the floor.
    Insanely stupid gesture. The dog has been dead for 75 years, so I don't think it will be coming when called by it's "new" name.
    They would be better off borrowing from Clint and make him "The dog with no name."
    In this case, history really is being re-written.

And that piece from the ever vigilant BBC almost makes the dog sound racist.

If not racist, certainly a pi55 artist., drinking til he passed out. Probably went back to his kennel and beat his b1tch after a skin full. No doubt the BBC would have claimed that he would have voted for Brexit as well. ;)
  • rick_chasey

Do the people who come up with these ways to rewrite history consider black people too stupid to understand?

*history is constantly being re-written - that is what history is. The contemporary view of the past*
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,760
    Can't get that upset about a dog's headstone but the outrage at "rewriting history" is quite funny.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    Our dog's name was changed from "Wolf" at age 7 (when we got him), he seemed OK with it. I'm sure Digger will be fine, he's a good boy.

Magpie Lane in Oxford isn't what it used to be.
  • ballysmate

*history is constantly being re-written - that is what history is. The contemporary view of the past*
    As, I think SC pointed out, for the past 50 years or so, you historians have made concerted efforts to change 'Germans' to 'Nazis' when discussing who Britain fought in the war in order to alter public perception. It is a fact that we went to war with GERMANY not the Nazis. You may well have used the incorrect term on here if I could be bothered to check. Saying something repeatedly does not make it so.
    As far as I can see there has not been the same effort to present Japan in a better light. Is that overt or subliminal racism? ;)

• blazing_saddles

It isn't "the" contemporary view of the past, it's just "a" contemporary view of the past.
    Otherwise there would be no debate in this thread.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020

It isn't "the" contemporary view of the past, it's just "a" contemporary view of the past.
    Otherwise there would be no debate in this thread.
    Views plural then, but broadly speaking, the professionals who do this for a living tend to coalesce around various interpretations and debate the margins.

Is very rare amongst professionals to have a dramatic difference.