Isolated? Bored? These are some of the races you should re-watch...

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Ellisonde is tiny.
  • jam1e
    Me an Brian/Bryan aren't sure whether Yates can pull this back.

• jam1e
    Henao has gone!
  • jam1e
    Froomey for a podium?
  • jam1e
    Had anyone else noticed pozzovivo's bandy legs?
  • jam1e
    Pozzovivo dropping off...
  • jam1e
    Fuckin lol, froome's attacked. 30 secs of glory at best.
  • jam1e
    79.7km to go. Never gonna stick.
  • jam1e
    Yeah, Brian/Bryan - they'll get him in the valley..

(it's Bryan isn't it, he sounds like a Bryan?)
  • jam1e
    Froome's at the end of his resources apparently so this should be pegged back pretty quickly.
  • jam1e
    27 seconds!
  • jam1e
    33 seconds now but I gotta call out a night. Pozzovivo might claw it back apparently though so tune in tomorrow...
  • jam1e
    Last update....

Froomey's gotta do a "76km all terrain time trial" according to Carlton - HE'LL BE CAUGHT B4 THE SUMMIT!

Bloody show-ponies, who does he think he is - Alberto Contabore?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Excellent ^^

Mind sharing what sauce you were on when you were enjoying this too?

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited June 2020

Excellent ^^

Mind sharing what sauce you were on when you were enjoying this too?

jam1e said:

I'm 4 beers and a bottle of cava in (don't juj mi, u downt know mi!) and its time for 2018, stage 19 Giro D'Italia again and I'm practically giddy with the excitement of listening to Carlton and Brian discussing the breakaways chances of staying away over the col de la finestra...

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Ahahaha.

Missed that. Very good.

Thursday night too!
  • jam1e
    ;)

It was actually quite interesting posting as if it was live - all the little comments etc the commentators made which, with the benefit of hindsight, were spectacularly inaccurate! I particularly enjoyed the one about Yates being in a good place to pull it all back after he initially got dropped and Froome's effort inevitably getting brought back when it was at approx 30 seconds.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2020
    Eurosport starting today, 2pm each day until 5pm ish. "The British Tours".
    First up 2012 and Wiggo's win. It may have been one of the most boring Tours, but there is one big plus: No Kirby.
    Although no one knew it at the time, it was David Harmon's swansong.

Also starting today on ITV 4 at 7pm each day: Tour Recycled, "Geraint's Tour".
    Already available in the 1 hour format on the Eurosport player, ITV's version will also have the added benefit of informative commentary via Boulting and David Millar.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    Ah was waiting for something like this, cracking! Cheers
  • jam1e
    I really enjoyed the wiggins tour win and genuinely think the "he only won because of the TT" narrative completely ignored the fact that the climbers couldn't get rid of him on the climbs that were there.

There was also something impressive about watching a team set its stall out and execute their plan so ruthlessly.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    jam1e said:

I really enjoyed the wiggins tour win and genuinely think the "he only won because of the TT" narrative completely ignored the fact that the climbers couldn't get rid of him on the climbs that were there.

There was also something impressive about watching a team set its stall out and execute their plan so ruthlessly.

There's always been the paradox with Sky's critics of them claiming that they only won because of the team while most of their gains were in the TTs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jam1e
    ^^^^^

That's a good point which I hadn't really appreciated before to be fair.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    He was also the second best climber in the race, behind Froome.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    ITV 4 show was disappointing as it was just a re-hash of their highlights show, which contained a lot of out of date interviews and stuff.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Just been rewatching 2017 Tour (couldn't remember what happened to Geraint; a crash and a break of bone on St 9 is what done him): did not not realise that Sagan had been exonerated by UCI for that crash with Cav on St 4 that everyone was so quick to blame Sagan for at the time...
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2020
    Eurosport's choice of Froome tours will please those who are of a similar opinion to Rich, as they have picked 2015 to get the 8 days of 3 hours shows.
  • RichN95.

Eurosport's choice of Froome tours will please those who are of a similar opinion to Rich, as they have picked 2015 to get the 8 days of 3 hours shows.

There's lots of great stages to choose from. The echelons in the storm, Cummings mugging Bardet & Pinot, Mur de Huy, Froome crushing everyone in Pierre St Martin, the whole Alpe d'Huez stage, Nibali attacking Froome's mechanical.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    If you've managed to catch any of the Mitch Docker Life In The Peloton podcasts (in conjunction with The Cycling Podcast), you'll probably agree that they're generally a good listen. This one about the 2014 Giro St.1 was particularly good from the point of view of breaking down a successful TTT in a GT and with loads of personal anecdotes from those involved. The first thing I did after hearing the podcast was to try hunt some vid clips - but considering it was the Giro, it lacks much available footage to get a glimpse of what everyone was talking about. This 14min edit does a pretty good job of visualising the audio. There's a link to the podcast on the YouTube page
    https://youtu.be/86u59TAiOJU
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

There's lots of great stages to choose from. The echelons in the storm, Cummings mugging Bardet & Pinot, Mur de Huy, Froome crushing everyone in Pierre St Martin, the whole Alpe d'Huez stage, Nibali attacking Froome's mechanical.
    I missed counted, so we will get 9 stages not 8.
    Judging from the fact that they choose to show Millar's win today, which was a 224km slog across country, I am sure that Cumming's pocket pinch will be one of them.
    In fact it's likely all of those you mention will be shown, as stage 2 is on next Monday.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

I missed counted, so we will get 9 stages not 8.
    Judging from the fact that they choose to show Millar's win today, which was a 224km slog across country, I am sure that Cumming's pocket pinch will be one of them.
    In fact it's likely all of those you mention will be shown, as stage 2 is on next Monday.

There's at least seven good stages. I didn't even mention the cobble stage, Bardet's win, Purito's win (not the Mur). And this ignores the sprints which saw a Greipel comeback.

You'll all be back in two weeks to tell me I was right all along.