Isolated? Bored? These are some of the races you should re-watch...

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah, it seems to switch between Kirby and Hatch each day. I am not sure if it depends which feed they have taken it from or something?

Do you have a link for the full stage? I did try on Youtube once but didn't see a whole feed. I was on a train when it happened, watching on patchy mobile signal.
  • bobmcstuff
    I was on a call so just started it. Really interesting hearing the commentary "Froome is putting pressure on for the podium spot". Then Sky going absolutely bananas on the front. Brilliant stage this.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646

Yeah, it seems to switch between Kirby and Hatch each day. I am not sure if it depends which feed they have taken it from or something?

Do you have a link for the full stage? I did try on Youtube once but didn't see a whole feed. I was on a train when it happened, watching on patchy mobile signal.

https://tiz-cycling.io/videos/giro-ditalia-2018-stage-19-full-stage/

• bobmcstuff
    edited May 2020
    Everyone remembered it for the climbing but it's remarkable how much time he got on the descent.

And people seem to forget about Pinot/Dumoulin making the chase group wait up for dead weight Reichenbach to get back on - during which time at least 30s was added to the gap.
  • takethehighroad
    It's a month today until the Sibiu Tour starts and European cycling gets going again. Does anyone know if there are plans to show it on TV or YouTube? Would be a good way to get a captive audience
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited June 2020

It's a month today until the Sibiu Tour starts and European cycling gets going again. Does anyone know if there are plans to show it on TV or YouTube? Would be a good way to get a captive audience

There was a live feed last year, so I would imagine there will be again this year.
    Especially as it's the only game in town.

However, I've just read that the race is probably being delayed by 3 weeks towards the end of July.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • takethehighroad
    I've watched a lot of cycling while on lockdown, and it still baffles me why fans would go and stand on a descent in the Pyrenees or Alps to watch the TDF. You wait all that time and they just fly past at 90 kmh
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    They don't go that fast on hairpin bends. Plus if you don't like crowds it is better than watching a peloton wizz past on the flat.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233

I've watched a lot of cycling while on lockdown, and it still baffles me why fans would go and stand on a descent in the Pyrenees or Alps to watch the TDF. You wait all that time and they just fly past at 90 kmh

Whereas those who watch on the climbs are a class apart...
    https://youtu.be/wem4GMWVwQc

A near masterpiece.
    Please watch by any means necessary...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Holy Tour looks great!

Where is it available to watch?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Amazon Prime...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154

A near masterpiece.

I've just finished watching this. Thanks for the recommendation. That was really lovely film. But to paraphrase Mark Kermode - it's not a film about cycling.

I now hope that in this difficult year the Tour only lets fans on climbs who are willing to stay there for a week. And runners, particularly Parisiens, should be tasered.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I expect people have already come across Sky Documentaries offerings, but if not, here goes.

1) The Armstrong Lie (2013 - 124min). Filmmaker Alex Gibney followed Lance Armstrong for four years with the intent of chronicling his return to cycling after retirement as Armstrong tried to win his eighth Tour de France. Unexpectedly, Gibney was also there when Armstrong admitted to doping, which resulted in the film being retitled from "The Road Back" to "The Armstrong Lie."

2) Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist (2014 - 96min). This is his life story: of the tragic battles fought by the most important Italian cyclist of his generation; man versus mountain, athlete versus addiction, Marco Pantani versus himself.

Both are available to watch on demand or else you will have to check Sky's schedule to catch a repeat.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    RichN95. said:

A near masterpiece.

I've just finished watching this. Thanks for the recommendation. That was really lovely film. But to paraphrase Mark Kermode - it's not a film about cycling.

I now hope that in this difficult year the Tour only lets fans on climbs who are willing to stay there for a week. And runners, particularly Parisiens, should be tasered.
    This was excellent! Thank you for highlighting ocdupalais!
  • takethehighroad
    Don't think it really needs it's own thread, but the Slovenian National Championships is on Sunday. 164k for the Men, laps of a circuit before an 8k, 7ish% climb to finish.

Rog & Pog expected to be on the start line
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2020
    I'm 4 beers and a bottle of cava in (don't juj mi, u downt know mi!) and its time for 2018, stage 19 Giro D'Italia again and I'm practically giddy with the excitement of listening to Carlton and Brian discussing the breakaways chances of staying away over the col de la finestra...
  • jam1e
    Go on son!
  • jam1e
    "Simon yates, by all accounts is in a good place for the stage today..."

R://agedlikemilk.
  • jam1e
    Froome's not looking great and they've not hit the climb yet...
  • jam1e
    Bryan/Brian doesn't think 45 seconds at the bottom of the CdF (as us connoisseurs refer to it) is enough for the breakaway.

Previous winners of this stage inc Landa and My Man Kiry.

God I miss Kiry.
  • jam1e
    Yates is looking good on the back of the sky train.
  • jam1e
    LL Sanchez holding steady at the front...
  • jam1e
    Lots of climbing points on offer for LLS.

Carlton thinks it'll be a mtn top sprint for the finish. Turns out thibout pinot was in this race as well!
  • jam1e
    I think LLS needs more leg extension on the bike.
  • jam1e
    Yates pacing himself...
  • jam1e
    Other than Kiry (God I miss Kiry) I reckon Nieve is the classiest rider in the Pelton.
  • jam1e
    Why do people think pozzovivo (sp?) had any chance?
  • jam1e
    Poels FTW, froome peaked on the zoncolon.
  • jam1e
    No! My broadband is playing up!
  • jam1e
    LLS has been told to sit up! He could have had this.