The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

I'm sure I heard one of the witnesses ascribing the high number of cases in the cabinet office to a lack of hand sanitiser.

Even now.

No she was commenting on how the cabinet office was following guidelines, i.e. not at all. That was the guidance at the time, hence all of the dispensers in offices around the UK with evaporated gel in them now.
    Ah fair do's.

I'm now surprised we didn't all get nostril dryers just in case.
    More, or less, effective than injecting bleach, do we think?

...or exposing the virus to sunlight inside the body?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,699

I'm sure I heard one of the witnesses ascribing the high number of cases in the cabinet office to a lack of hand sanitiser.

Even now.

No she was commenting on how the cabinet office was following guidelines, i.e. not at all. That was the guidance at the time, hence all of the dispensers in offices around the UK with evaporated gel in them now.
    Ah fair do's.

There was a Star Trek episode where that worked okay. Other than Spock going blind.

Regan got his military knowledge from Star Wars. Trump may have learnt science from Star Trek.
  • I'm sure I heard one of the witnesses ascribing the high number of cases in the cabinet office to a lack of hand sanitiser.

Even now.

Ah fair do's.

There was a Star Trek episode where that worked okay. Other than Spock going blind.

Regan got his military knowledge from Star Wars. Trump may have learnt science from Star Trek.
    I read the first sentence as a Sweeny reference and was very confused as I do not remember him being famous for military knowledge or being able to see into the future
  • Johnson has always been a mendacious, self serving narcissist. The buffoon act has always been carefully cultivated to win people over and for many years it worked.

I think people read him incorrectly, he is not incompetent, he simply doesn't care about anything or anyone other than himself and will not give anything any attention unless it directly benefits him. To Johnson, Covid and the public's expectation of him to lead during a crisis was simply a burden, and one he couldn't be bothered with.

Everything he does in life is calculated to ensure his own advancement. When he came out for Brexit it was done to position himself. I remember telling people after Brexit (and particularly when May gave him political heft when she made him Foreign Sec.) that he would be PM within 2 years and I was routinely laughed at. It was obvious what his plan was and also how disastrous he would be.
  • briantrumpet
    Having just had my flu jab last week, this (very long thread) seems pertinent.

• managed to get a Covid + Flu jab, despite my tender age… basically my wife was invited, so I booked myself in… booking is easy, you just have answer yes to one of the questions… then I got a third degree from the lady at the centre, but I passed it… so there, 5 jabs in the bank… this last Moderna Spike 1.5 whatevwas particularly painful… took me almost a week to get over all of the side effects (mainly cramps and shooting pains in my legs and back after the usual shoulder punch)…
    left the forum March 2023
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Haven't read it yet but the cost of the actual vaccine will only be part of the cost of actually vaccinating people
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pangolin said:

Haven't read it yet but the cost of the actual vaccine will only be part of the cost of actually vaccinating people

It's a long and detailed thread taking a lot of things into account (and questioning the methodology of cost-benefit analysis). But throwing away a few million doses that have already been bought seems a bit nuts when it's currently so prevalent.

tl;dr - the 'cost' to individuals seems only to have taken into account those who might be hospitalised, and not days lost to work or long covid of those not admitted.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973

… this last Moderna Spike 1.5 whatevwas particularly painful… took me almost a week to get over all of the side effects (mainly cramps and shooting pains in my legs and back after the usual shoulder punch)…

I'm 4 jabs in and so far could been given a placebo for all I know.
    Barely felt the jab and absolutely zero side effects.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Getting double jabbed on Tuesday.
    So hard finding anywhere convenient and close!
  • walking distance for me
    left the forum March 2023
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    I think I'm now on 8 jabs due to my medical condition and medication. My wife has had 5 so far. We were both last jabbed at the end of September. She's got COVID right now and it's really bad for her. We were on the 111 helpline last night at 2.30am as she was so unwell. Took her to an appointment at a nearby medical centre at 8.30 this morning. Doesn't need hospitalisation but told to go home and just rest. She's had it since Tuesday night. Trying to avoid her like a leper at home. She's confined to the spare room. I'm really hoping I'm not going to get it as my medication makes me vulnerable to infection. Ohbloodyhurrah!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,533
    Chris Whitty is demonstrating considerable patience with the questioning.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

Chris Whitty is demonstrating considerable patience with the questioning.

must be easy for him compared to dealing with johnson et al.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I had the flu jab for the (I think) first time ever this year, partly because they said I could have a covid booster at the same time.
  • TheBigBean

I had the flu jab for the (I think) first time ever this year, partly because they said I could have a covid booster at the same time.

How does that work? Private or NHS?
  • I had the flu jab for the (I think) first time ever this year, partly because they said I could have a covid booster at the same time.

How does that work? Private or NHS?
    Nhs. Just got an invite from the gp.

Not sure why. Maybe I'm frail.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,653
    Yes I got my private flu jab through work a lot earlier than my pregnant wife and daughter who are both entitled to it via the NHS.
  • TheBigBean
    The GP invited both my kids to have flu jabs ages ago. They then cancelled the school age one as that will be done through the school a lot later.
  • ...my pregnant wife...

I may be late to the party on this, but many congrats and I hope Mrs C is feeling OK!

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,653

...my pregnant wife...

I may be late to the party on this, but many congrats and I hope Mrs C is feeling OK!

👍🏻 it’s a boy due in feb
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

Phew, that's a relief.

The author is erm... hardly impartial.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

Phew, that's a relief.

The author is erm... hardly impartial.
    It's certainly an interesting interpretation of Boris's indecisiveness and inability to grasp simple concepts. I guess one man's total incompetence is another man's fine mind asking questions to further their already impressive understanding of the situation.
  • TheBigBean
    When casting opinions on the Covid response, some might find it helpful to see the views expressed on here at the time.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13110319/would-you-travel-to-italy-with-your-family-in-4-weeks/p1

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20613732#Comment_20613732

I don't want to particularly shame some posters, but

Population of Europe 743 million. Number of cases so far 389. Number of deaths so far 13. So that’s 0.0000017 percent of the population of Europe that have died. You probably have more chance of winning the lottery jackpot than dying from this flu right now.

If my maffs is correct, lottery odds are 0.0000022% so yip.

• TheBigBean
    I feel Chris Whitty's testimonial is far more important than the lawyer asking questions. If Whitty has a view on something then they should listen.
  • TheBigBean
    Really not sure the lawyer understands exponential growth which is almost amusing.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Looking at the 'travel to Italy' thread I was rather over confident, I also remember thinking it would blow over rather sooner.
  • TheBigBean

Looking at the 'travel to Italy' thread I was rather over confident, I also remember thinking it would blow over rather sooner.

You were not alone.