The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,357
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's why vaccines are updated on a regular basis and it's already in progress from what I have read. Just like we do with the flu jab every year.

Do you know which variant(s) are they making the updates to cope with? And how long does that take to make it from identification of variant of concern to arms?
    I don't know that level of detail but I'm sure some scientists do. It works OK with the annual flu vaccine, so we have precedent. Also with all the genetic mapping of the virus (which I understand the UK is a world leader in), we seem to have a way of tracking the different variants.
    Yes, the genetic mapping is something that definitely needs to be a global approach. The UK is good at it, but that doesn't help if the variant of concern spreads somewhere that doesn't do it. The earlier (and more reliably) that they can decide what is going to be of concern, the more likely the vaccine can beat it. The virus is always going to have a head start.
    Fair enough but we can't stay locked away forever.

Got my second jab next week so things are looking good for me. Probably the same for many judging by the comments on here.
    It's never been a decision between being locked away forever or not doing anything. Helping the rest of the world get it under control is a win-win - both doing good for the world and entirely in your self interest.
    Fine - and in the absence of any globally coordinated plan out in the real world, the best thing that the UK can do is to get ourselves sorted as best we can. Which is exactly what we are doing.
    It's true there's no votes in trying to use our soft power in this area. Not sure why we'd need to wait for the world to get its plan sorted.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,741

Hey @TheBigBean, good use of stats or bad use of stats?

Was that actually published? Surely they didn't. I know stats is having a bad corona, but that's really bad.
    That's a spoof surely? On average, most of them are.

(Oh forgot the 😉 smiley)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,860
    They seem to be smashing through the vaccines in this part of Wales now. My 34 year old sister had her first one yesterday and my mum was saying a 22 year old she knows has been given a date for her first one at some point this month.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,912
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00885-0/fulltext

The lancet in April 2021 on the Swedish approach to rona.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,692

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00885-0/fulltext

The lancet in April 2021 on the Swedish approach to rona.

Not good but they still have only managed to let about 3/4 of the number of people die as here (per capita). They need to practice more hygge.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,722
    Has anyone made any holiday plans? I think there is quite a lot of risk with unvaccinated kids. Not in the sense that they may catch covid and suffer, but they may mean a holiday needs to be cancelled or flights cancelled which could be costly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,860

Has anyone made any holiday plans? I think there is quite a lot of risk with unvaccinated kids. Not in the sense that they may catch covid and suffer, but they may mean a holiday needs to be cancelled or flights cancelled which could be costly.

Off to Venice for a few days in October (flights held over from last year's cancelled holiday to Venice and Lake Garda). Main holiday will be in the UK though instead of the big family trip we had planned to Florida.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,099

Actually seriously thinking about booking Eurotunnel for my car for a long stay in France, given the noises coming from both sides of the channel. I'm prepared to take the risk of losing both crossings if things go pear-shaped, against the likelihood of booking going nuts if and when definite dates are announced.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,911

Not going abroad this year.
    Too many unknowns. Too risky. Next year. 🤞
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,692
    UK only for me. Glenfinnan and Mallaig soon and family in England who have forgotten what I look like the rest of the year.

As soon as Mexico is not a cluster fcuk I'll be angling for a diving holiday.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Wife is going to book a weekend trip to Holland in mid June (she has her 2nd vaccine around 20th May) so she can see her parents - she hasn’t seen them since Oct 2019. But that’s it, no other overseas trips planned.
  • kingstongraham
    Cornwall. Maybe abroad in November
  • TheBigBean

Actually seriously thinking about booking Eurotunnel for my car for a long stay in France, given the noises coming from both sides of the channel. I'm prepared to take the risk of losing both crossings if things go pear-shaped, against the likelihood of booking going nuts if and when definite dates are announced.
    Sounds sensible if you already own a holiday home and a car. If you don't then the commitment increases substantially.

I'd like to go away for six weeks or so, but I don't think I want to gamble on long and expensive flights.
  • briantrumpet

Sounds sensible if you already own a holiday home and a car. If you don't then the commitment increases substantially.

I'd like to go away for six weeks or so, but I don't think I want to gamble on long and expensive flights.

Yup. Although there's been the annoyance of not being allowed to visit one's own home, it does have the advantage of not having to rush to book it... and the homecoming, whenever it happens, should be that much sweeter... especially if I can stretch it to the best part of two months with the bike and mountains to climb.

I'd still be a bit hesitant about spending hours and hours on planes & trains and in airports & stations to get there, hence car/Eurotunnel.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,747
    Devon for a week and then hopefully take my mum up to Scotland late Summer/early Autumn. Don't think she's been back home for 20 odd years - last 5-6 because my dad wasn't up to it. Probably leave her to stay with one of her brothers and spend a few days in the Highlands with my better half.

No plans to go abroad unless someone is planning a cycling trip that tempts me.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,754
    Going skiing next season: even France should have sorted itself out by then. We're moving house this year if all goes to plan, so can't really commit to a holiday this year.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Eurotunnel tickets booked for £225 return, seven weeks. One of those occasions where if I don't do anything, nothing is guaranteed to happen, so might as well be optimistic (and hope that Eurotunnel doesn't go bust in the meantime).
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    We won't be travelling overseas this year just dont think its the responsible thing to do considering we are still in a pandemic. Cornwall on the 27th May booked and almost 2 year old holiday booked to Jamaica for 5th November 2021 but will change this as soon as we can without surcharge.
    So Far!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,970
    Not planning on anything for this summer. Will consider skiing around Christmas, but won't look to book until much later in the year.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    isle of Wight booked since Sept.

It does seem bizarre thatthey are opening up travel when you still can't sit in a pub
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    Vaccines still not being distributed to under 50's round this way, yes really, I've a week in Yorkshire at the start of September and it's looking unlikely I'll have two doses by then at this rate
  • kingstongraham

Vaccines still not being distributed to under 50's round this way, yes really, I've a week in Yorkshire at the start of September and it's looking unlikely I'll have two doses by then at this rate

Can you not book further afield?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,912

Wife is going to book a weekend trip to Holland in mid June (she has her 2nd vaccine around 20th May) so she can see her parents - she hasn’t seen them since Oct 2019. But that’s it, no other overseas trips planned.

Let me know how it goes. I obviously want to head over but obviously no vaccine yet, Netherlands is still in a bit of a mess and not sure I can stand quarantine with a toddler.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957

Can you not book further afield?
    For a several days last week I was offered no appointments at all but yesterday I was offered a 100 mile round trip as my nearest option so I decided to click on it just to humour myself, the date came up as 29th May but would not actually let me book a time.
    A work colleague today did actually get a location a few miles away, the main vaccine centre in Norwich but the date he was offered was the 20th July. I'm really just waiting for contact from my GP now, the centralised booking system is completely useless for this region.

I can only assume this is why the passport idea was quietly dropped and I found the news headline of boosters in September quite baffling, there will still be many people needing a second dose then.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Let me know how it goes. I obviously want to head over but obviously no vaccine yet, Netherlands is still in a bit of a mess and not sure I can stand quarantine with a toddler.

Will do so. Her trip will entirely depend on whether once she has had her 2nd dose she is able to go there and return without any need to isolate/quarantine. She works in a primary school, so needing to isolate for any period of time would stop her from working.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I’m now 10 weeks since I had the Pfeizer vaccine but haven’t had a 2nd invitation yet.
    Rang the national vaccine line. Apparently they only deal with the AZ so couldn’t help.
    The pfeizer vaccination program is ran at local level so you have to wait for the invite but I assume if you get an invite at local level it could be either Vaccine.
    The bonus of the AZ is you might be able to use the national vaccine booking to get a 2nd jab earlier than 12 weeks.
  • rakkor
    rakkor Posts: 49
    Did you try https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/ - I had booked my 2nd through this before getting a more local invite from my GP
  • TheBigBean
    mully79 said:

I’m now 10 weeks since I had the Pfeizer vaccine but haven’t had a 2nd invitation yet.
    Rang the national vaccine line. Apparently they only deal with the AZ so couldn’t help.
    The pfeizer vaccination program is ran at local level so you have to wait for the invite but I assume if you get an invite at local level it could be either Vaccine.
    The bonus of the AZ is you might be able to use the national vaccine booking to get a 2nd jab earlier than 12 weeks.

The booking system knows what you had the first time around and offers a second dose only after around 12 weeks. It's all quite sophisticated.

I'd recommend logging in just to see if it offers you any appointments.
  • kingstongraham
    Yes, I got offered any time I wanted from exactly 11 weeks after my first one (which wasn't booked through the online system).
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    NHS must be reading the forum. I got the invite an hour after posting for next friday so that will be 11 weeks between B)