The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341
    Reconfirmed restricted gears. 52 x 14.
    What is the reasoning behind this?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Same as for juniors - protect developing muscles / legs.

Improves tactics as less reliance on pure brute strength.

Forgot to mention there was another big crash with 250m to go as a swedish pulled a foot out of a pedal bringing down lots of other riders - some finishing walking their bikes over the line, looking very pissed off.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341
    Ok thanks. :)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Well - thats what the UCI says, anyway!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    All junior riders have to race on restricted gears (whether they’re ‘ladies’ or not).

I think the only impact it has on courses like today’s is to make people spin out quicker on the descents. It doesn’t stop anyone mashing up steep hills in the big ring!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    The hearing has increase slightly since my junior days when 52x15 was the most common set up for staying within the restrictions.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Pross wrote:
    The hearing has increase slightly since my junior days when 52x15 was the most common set up for staying within the restrictions.
    Pardon?
  • 169.9 of U23 mens to go.
  • Live on board cams which is quite nice.
  • Been a brutal race so far. Lots of attacking. One rider has very amusing tan lines - clearly his national kit has shorter sleeves than his team kit by about an inch.

Danish rider puncture which takes a long time to resolve.
  • Lots of drafting of cars and marshalls motorbikes without any cares.
  • Weather looks horrific.
    Another danish rider stops with a loose stem. Again takes ages to resolve.
  • Question: the team cars look generic (all painted the same). Presume they are for different teams?

Answer delivered by commentators:

BMW supply a fleet of identical cars to all teams. Pretty shyte not to paint them up different colours. Therefore impossible to find your own.
  • Russian rider comes through the peloton on the pavement.

Peloton well strung out. Like a 'tadpole'.
  • 7 riders on in the lead including Balfour from GBR with 3 chasing.

Peloton chasing fairly quickly.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Question: the team cars look generic (all painted the same). Presume they are for different teams?

BMW supply a fleet of identical cars to all teams. Pretty shyte not to paint them up different colours. Therefore impossible to find your own.

Different paint would be a bit costly.

They could give them all a megaphone to play their national anthem on.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Big crash at rear of peloton. Someone lost a front wheel!

4 more chasers heading to 8/9 man lead group with another GB rider - Fred Wright
  • Chasers now with the break - bit of a double edged sword.

USA and IT not represented in the break so pushing on.

Crosswinds now as well
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Question: the team cars look generic (all painted the same). Presume they are for different teams?

Different paint would be a bit costly.

They could give them all a megaphone to play their national anthem on.

They managed to roll out a red one and a white one for commisaires. A green / blue or whatever and some other primary ones could have been too hard.
  • Breakaway at 25s. Still 110k to go and peloton not closing the gap.

Jonas Iversby Hvideberg (Norway), Patrick Haller (Germany), Johan Jacobs (Switzerland), Alessandro Covi (Italy), Marijn van den Berg (Netherlands), Stuart Balfour (Great Britain), Petr Kelemen (Czech Republic), Stanislaw Aniolkowski (Poland), Ben Healy (Ireland), Stan Dewulf (Belgium), Ludvik Aspelund Holstad (Norway), Andreas Kron (Denmark) and Fred Wright (Great Britain)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Breakaway at 25s. Still 110k to go and peloton not closing the gap.

Jonas Iversby Hvideberg (Norway), Patrick Haller (Germany), Johan Jacobs (Switzerland), Alessandro Covi (Italy), Marijn van den Berg (Netherlands), Stuart Balfour (Great Britain), Petr Kelemen (Czech Republic), Stanislaw Aniolkowski (Poland), Ben Healy (Ireland), Stan Dewulf (Belgium), Ludvik Aspelund Holstad (Norway), Andreas Kron (Denmark) and Fred Wright (Great Britain)
    Where are you watching?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • on BBC website (also have a red button for live TV) but CN doing a live ticker.

Why - am I a million miles behind?

As I posted the above, Hvideberg punctured and went out the back.
  • Only USA pulling as IT have someone in break who are working well. 35s and growing.
  • DeadCalm
    on BBC website (also have a red button for live TV) but CN doing a live ticker.

Why - am I a million miles behind?

As I posted the above, Hvideberg punctured and went out the back.
    Thanks. You're more up to date than me.

My French stream crashed but seems to be back up again although it's on an ad break. British Eurosport only have Motorcycling. Is it on terrestrial TV on the BBC do you know? Would ideally like a stream in English as my French is, erm, rusty.

Many thanks for all the updates by the way.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Fred Wright is a contender. He's won a stage at the Tour de l'Avenir and the U23 Giro.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    Think Covi's the biggest name in that break. Top non-Colombian finisher (4th) in the U23 Giro and signed to ride for UAE next year.
    Team My Man 2022:

• i think BBC is red button only I'm afraid for watching on the box.
    BBC wrote:
    Friday, 27 September

08:30-11:40 - Women's junior road race, BBC Red Button

14:00-19:30 - Under-23s men's road race, BBC Red Button

Saturday, 28 September

11:30-16:30 - Women's road race, BBC Two

Sunday, 29 September

08:30-11:00 - Men's road race, BBC Red Button (uninterrupted coverage available until 16:30 on Connected TVs, BBC Sport website and app).

11:00-16:30 - Men's road race, BBC Two

Commentary is pretty good, not that it helps you.

Have to do some work so headphones off but gap now up to 50s
  • Riders beings shelled on the climb with 99k to go.

Gap at 50s still
  • DeadCalm
    Presume USA are riding for McNulty (also signed for UAE next year) but would have thought he'd be a surprise winner. The way USA are going this championships though, who knows!
    Team My Man 2022:

• Peloton completely strung out.

Break working very very smoothly.

Gap at 51s

96k.