Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    bompington wrote:
    The thing I didn't mention, of course, because I definitely learned this a long time ago... is that Mrs B and I have seriously different mattress preferences (yes, weight does have something to do with this).
    So "split tension" mattresses are a thing, but don't seem to come in foam. At the moment I'm looking to see if we can find two single mattresses in different firmness but the same height; not an easy task.
    Did find a split tension one we quite liked in one shop but to my mind, £1500 is what you spend on a bike, not a bed.
    You'll spend more time in your bed than on a bike though...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fenix wrote:
    I think the eco sensitive ones are for people who dont want Costa to use paper cups. But a decent travel mug will keep the drink warmer and last a lot longer than a eco mug. My wife bought me one - a bamboo version of the paper cup - pretty pointless as I don't really buy takeout coffee.

I have an insulating mug and a collapsible (Pokito) one for travel. The insulating mug has a lid that just pops off which is fine for most purposes but not eg for putting into the bottle pocket of a rucksack. The Pokito folds up to next to nothing and has a screw on lid. You can put it in the bottle pocket of the rucksack fully loaded and it is fine. When you are finished, it collapses back and doesn't leak the dregs which the insulating mug would do whilst taking up a lot more space. It is a bit poorer at insulating than the paper cups but saves pointless waste so it is a complete no brainer.

Everything you don't need is pointless though. Did you give your bamboo cup to someone who would use it?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    That a beep test is harder than the basic numbers suggest e.g. a level 10.4 is excellent for my age but the pace is slower than my 5k running pace yet due to the stop / start for the turn on each 20m shuttle the reality is much harder and pulling it back if you get behind a beep is really difficult. Just missed out on that excellent for age in the end.
  • Noone wins the beep test.

Try the beep test drinking game.

Own best effort until you chunder. I think it's a shot or two of beer per beep.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Tashman wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    The thing I didn't mention, of course, because I definitely learned this a long time ago... is that Mrs B and I have seriously different mattress preferences (yes, weight does have something to do with this).
    So "split tension" mattresses are a thing, but don't seem to come in foam. At the moment I'm looking to see if we can find two single mattresses in different firmness but the same height; not an easy task.
    Did find a split tension one we quite liked in one shop but to my mind, £1500 is what you spend on a bike, not a bed.
    You'll spend more time in your bed than on a bike though...

well, depending on how much time or money he spends on his bike Mrs B may not be letting him anywhere near any the bed .......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Noone wins the beep test.

I should pitch that to my club. They like that sort of challenge, we do a chunder run which is basically a 10k pub crawl where you stop at about 6 pubs and have to do a pint in each. The record is under an hour and the last event was won by a woman who can only just run 10k in an hour normally but she doesn't waste many seconds on the pints!
  • Pross wrote:
    Noone wins the beep test.

I should pitch that to my club. They like that sort of challenge, we do a chunder run which is basically a 10k pub crawl where you stop at about 6 pubs and have to do a pint in each. The record is under an hour and the last event was won by a woman who can only just run 10k in an hour normally but she doesn't waste many seconds on the pints!

Its a lot harder than you think!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

...but to my mind, £1500 is what you spend on a bike, not a bed.

You'll find you spend far, far, far more hours on your mattress than on your bike! A good night's rest will result in feeling more awake, more alert and with more energy when you get up in the mornings, meaning you can spend more hours on the bike on Sundays 8) Look at it as an investment in happiness

I nearly pooped myself when my (now) wife wanted the £1200 mattress when we first moved in together. Aside from the odd sports injury I've not had back problems since and they were a reasonably common part of my life beforehand. We replaced it after about 9 1/2 years with something equally as good for about £800. For the second one we trawled and trawled all of the mattress stores looking for the right fit, tried and liked one, used the machine as suggested by the sales fella, and it picked the one we'd already chosen anyway. Tells me it likely works well as a guide for your purchase.

Pillows on the other hand, wow they can be expensive, but laying my bonce on £150 made up of any denominations you care to think of wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as my pillows.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    keef66 wrote:
    I think they come in 2 basic kinds. There's a rugged twin walled stainless steel type with a sealable lid, favoured by outdoor types and 4x4 drivers, and then there's a kind of folding thing made out of various recycled materials, favoured by eco-sensitive rail commuters. I may be guilty of sweeping generalisations there.

I was given one of the former at work. Promotional items for a brand we were no longer selling. I knew I'd never use it so It was headed for the metal skip at the recycling centre but one of the staff there asked if he could have it. Probably the environment where it actually makes sense...

Spent $30 (US, +tax) on a twin wall travel mug made by a company called Tervis when we were in the States last year, and it's my wife's work mug. She made a brew, took it to work and left it in the car by accident, thought "pah whatever, I'll make a new one". When she got in the car to come home a full 8 hours later it was still too hot to drink. It also claims to keep drinks cool for 24 hours if that's your thing but we've never tried it.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Mouth wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

...but to my mind, £1500 is what you spend on a bike, not a bed.

You'll find you spend far, far, far more hours on your mattress than on your bike! A good night's rest will result in feeling more awake, more alert and with more energy when you get up in the mornings, meaning you can spend more hours on the bike on Sundays 8) Look at it as an investment in happiness

I nearly pooped myself when my (now) wife wanted the £1200 mattress when we first moved in together. Aside from the odd sports injury I've not had back problems since and they were a reasonably common part of my life beforehand. We replaced it after about 9 1/2 years with something equally as good for about £800. For the second one we trawled and trawled all of the mattress stores looking for the right fit, tried and liked one, used the machine as suggested by the sales fella, and it picked the one we'd already chosen anyway. Tells me it likely works well as a guide for your purchase.

Pillows on the other hand, wow they can be expensive, but laying my bonce on £150 made up of any denominations you care to think of wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as my pillows.
    Pillows....
    Mrs dhl insists on having scatter cushions on the bed but we then have to take them off at bed time. They get repositioned on the bed in the morning. Just why.....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    It is a female “thing”.
    There is no logical answer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Sitting here in discomfort as my back problem has flared up yet again I would gladly spend £1200 on a mattress that helped if I had it spare!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pillows....
    Mrs dhl insists on having scatter cushions on the bed but we then have to take them off at bed time. They get repositioned on the bed in the morning. Just why.....

We have the same and a decorative throw with dangly beads. Major PITA to remove at bedtime. The other baffler is bottles of shampoo, conditioner etc in the bathroom which are there apparently just for decoration, on no account to be used.
  • I feel like I learn this every time, but FTP tests are much harder when you try to stay within yourself for the first 5 minutes and then spend all the rest of your time trying to catch up.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    If enough companies offer 100 night free trials just repeated cycle through them all, new mattress 3 times a year and you'll never have to pay!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Pross
    keef66 wrote:
    Pillows....

We have the same and a decorative throw with dangly beads. Major PITA to remove at bedtime. The other baffler is bottles of shampoo, conditioner etc in the bathroom which are there apparently just for decoration, on no account to be used.

I washed my hair the other day (or tried to) only to find 8 different bottles of conditioner and no shampoo so I had to use shower gel.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've been using showergel for years instead of shampoo. Not noticed any difference.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:
    I've been using showergel for years instead of shampoo. Not noticed any difference.

yes, but when you've got no hair it makes no difference - it's just skin ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pross wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pillows....

I washed my hair the other day (or tried to) only to find 8 different bottles of conditioner and no shampoo so I had to use shower gel.

When I get in the shower I'm without my specs, so I'm never 100% confident which bits of me get washed / shampooed / conditioned with which products. They all smell nice though!
  • rolf_f
    keef66 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pillows....

When I get in the shower I'm without my specs, so I'm never 100% confident which bits of me get washed / shampooed / conditioned with which products. They all smell nice though!

Lets just hope for the sake of your missus that your backside doesn't smell of aquafresh.........
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I've said this before but I do enjoy leaving a plainly marked bottle of dog shampoo in the shower to catch out unsuspecting guests.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I've just learnt that we export Jason Donovan CDs to North Korea.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Longshot wrote:
    Very good bird scarers they are too...
  • Pross
    Longshot wrote:

And to think we get upset that they threaten us with nuclear weapons in return!
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    HaydenM wrote:
    I've said this before but I do enjoy leaving a plainly marked bottle of dog shampoo in the shower to catch out unsuspecting guests.

I've been using the dog's 'dirty beastie' shampoo for a few months now. Its actually quite pleasant smelling, with the bonus I have a nice shiny coat, wet nose and can lick my own balls now (some of this may not be true.... :-) )
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    keef66 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pillows....

in a similar vein, i suggest never heading into the bathroom sans lenses/glasses and getting Veet and toothpaste mixed up. Veet doesn't taste very nice but at least my gums aren't hairy .....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    keef66 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pillows....

in a similar vein, i suggest never heading into the bathroom sans lenses/glasses and getting Veet and toothpaste mixed up. Veet doesn't taste very nice but at least my gums aren't hairy .....

I already did this joke but with far more subtlety and style but then it was so subtle that nobody noticed so do carry on.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Rolf F wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pillows....

I already did this joke but with far more subtlety and style but then it was so subtle that nobody noticed so do carry on.

It's actually because we all have you on ignore. :D
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • I have once brushed my teeth with Savlon. pffff
  • rolf_f
    Longshot wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Pillows....

It's actually because we all have you on ignore. :D

I have wondered about that! :D
    I need to go and post in "intrigue"......