Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    That the cashless society marches forward. First time been in a pub which does not take cash, card or app only. In Reading last night, went to one pub (Weather Station fyi) which had been closed and has recently reopened as a craft beerhouse. Interesting angle on their potential market; doubt Gammons would visit anyway.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    orraloon wrote:
    That the cashless society marches forward. First time been in a pub which does not take cash, card or app only. In Reading last night, went to one pub (Weather Station fyi) which had been closed and has recently reopened as a craft beerhouse. Interesting angle on their potential market; doubt Gammons would visit anyway.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time i used cash for anything
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Chris Bass wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Same, and I live in a non-metropolitan area of Scotland...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Yeah but Hayden doesn’t use cards either - it’s still all about trading turnips and first born children where he is living ....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Yeah but Hayden doesn’t use cards either - it’s still all about trading turnips and first born children where he is living ....

I just have the natives arrange any necessary payment
  • chris_bass
    I was watching a q&a with richard dawkins and they were talking about evolution and it turns out human brains are actually getting smaller again! We've peaked!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I was watching a q&a with richard dawkins and they were talking about evolution and it turns out human brains are actually getting smaller again! We've peaked!

Seems those in politics have peaked much sooner than most :lol:

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Chris Bass wrote:
    That is our legacy; reversing survival of the fittest.
    Sport hunting weakens the wildlife population as the biggest and strongest are most prized whereas natural attrition takes the weakest first.
    Likewise, our improved health services enable weaker examples of our species to survive. There is clear relationship but if you consider the alternatives, you're into scary territory.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Chris Bass wrote:

Given the last few years - this is very apparent.
  • chris_bass
    morstar wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    That is our legacy; reversing survival of the fittest.
    Sport hunting weakens the wildlife population as the biggest and strongest are most prized whereas natural attrition takes the weakest first.
    Likewise, our improved health services enable weaker examples of our species to survive. There is clear relationship but if you consider the alternatives, you're into scary territory.

survival of the fittest doesn't mean survival of the physically fittest or strongest but those that best "fit" their environment. It is often misunderstood.
    but yes, advances in healthcare mean that the vast majority make it past the age where reproduction is possible so "bad" genes are now passed on.
    We will now (over many many thousands of years!) begin to look like the population that reproduce the most!
  • If you spray the underside of the lawnmower with mucoff bike spray before mowing it makes it really easy to clean out after. Other sprays are available.
  • Matthewfalle
    If you spray the underside of the lawnmower with mucoff bike spray before mowing it makes it really easy to clean out after. Other sprays are available.

gt85, WD and that really cheap version of wd from B&Q all do the same may well be cheaper.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chris_bass
    that newcastle are now one point behind manchester united! wowzers!
  • People with a few years of using dishwashers under their belt cannot wash dishes well by hand.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Chris Bass wrote:
    that newcastle are now one point behind manchester united! wowzers!
    Yep, its amazing that the Magpies are still below Manure in the table :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • If you spray the underside of the lawnmower with mucoff bike spray before mowing it makes it really easy to clean out after. Other sprays are available.

What part of the mower should I be cleaning out?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you spray the underside of the lawnmower with mucoff bike spray before mowing it makes it really easy to clean out after. Other sprays are available.

Full strip and rebuild after every mow.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Matthewfalle

The blade and the under bit where it spins - it’s all marginal gains, innit.

Also stops it slowing down the blade when it spins forcing the motor to over heat and costing you valuable bicyle money in the long run.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Also stops it slowing down the blade when it spins forcing the motor to over heat and costing you valuable bicyle money in the long run.

I presume you've drilled your blades?
    Faster than a tent.......

I found the mower in the shed when I bought the house, other than adding petrol/oil all I have done in 4.5 years is run a file along the blade in a futile attempt to sharpen it. I may take it to one of those sharpening place with a fixed price list as it looks like a relic from the Boer War.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Aimlessly wandering round TK Maxx yesterday I found what I thought was an interesting take on a bog brush, but when I inspected its label it claimed to be a lawnmower brush! Who knew such a thing existed?? I passed.

Instead we left with a Le Creuset clone casserole dish in a jolly red colour, a bath mat which is going in the dog's bed, and some Italian coffee.

I'm ambivalent about the coffee. If it turns out to be cack I've wasted 3 quid, and if it turns out to be delicious I'll never track down another pack...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    That I can reduce my carbon contribution but turning down the knob on the toaster.
  • chris_bass
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm ambivalent about the coffee. If it turns out to be cack I've wasted 3 quid, and if it turns out to be delicious I'll never track down another pack...

have you heard of the internet?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

now you tell me :) mine burnt out doing that this year...i kept the money for bicycling though and now just have an urban wildlife garden
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    I may take it to one of those sharpening place with a fixed price list as it looks like a relic from the Boer War.

Put a grinding wheel on a dizzy or take the blade off and put it to a bench grinder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-La ... 3770309942?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

have you heard of the internet?
    There are 2 reasons why it's in tkmax.
    1 its cack and no one wants it.
    2 its discontinued end of line.

Saying that, I bought a "hairy bikers" cooking pot I use camping and it absolutely fantastic. Nothing burns on or sticks, even on a camping stove. But it does have hairy bikers written on it. Hence no one wants one.
  • Pinno wrote:
    I may take it to one of those sharpening place with a fixed price list as it looks like a relic from the Boer War.

Put a grinding wheel on a dizzy or take the blade off and put it to a bench grinder.

Many thanks
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Pinno wrote:

I used a file - nearly got it right!
  • Lagrange wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I used a file - nearly got it right!

so did I - now I can sit in my garage throughout the long dark winter playing with power tools
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:

You have gotten my cogs whirring, I "may" be able to run a DC motor of my solar battery... already looking at silly things like compressors and the like (for tubeless inflation)