Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I Mesut Ozil were to pay tax without avoid any (i very much assume he does avoid as much as he can! who wouldn't?!) then according to the Money Supermarket's tax/pay calculator

Over the year he'll pay £8,175,000 income tax and £367,964 in National Insurance.

Let's hope Arsenal don't or can't sell him - it is in the national interest!

Simon Cowell once paid more income tax in a year than all of the revenue speed cameras in England combined generated over the same period.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    The word 'helicopter' is made up of two separate words - 'helico', meaning spiral and 'pter', meaning wings. With no basis, I always just assumed it was heli-copter.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Mouth wrote:
    The word 'helicopter' is made up of two separate words - 'helico', meaning spiral and 'pter', meaning wings. With no basis, I always just assumed it was heli-copter.

Ahhh, I geddit.. like Lepidoptera (scaly wings) and Orthoptera (straight wings). Maybe they are of the order Helicoptera? Fixed wing aircraft would be Stathoptera.
  • Step83 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    The adhesive used in the works canteens coffee cups melts below the temperature the coffee is dispensed at. This does cause issues.

..and no doubt needs tissues.

Indeed, and apparently the company is eco friendly (I usually use my travel mug but left it at home).

Whilst intrigued by a "travel mug" I have only just learnt such a thing exists, therefore can we keep it on this thread and explain to me what is a travel mug?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm also intrigued by travel mugs. When I was growing up, having a tea or coffee generally involved sitting down, and the drink came in a china cup or mug which was subsequently washed up and reused. Same deal at home or in the bus station cafe.

When did we all become too busy to sit down for a drink? I'm baffled by the numbers I see bimbling down the high street or wandering round the supermarket clutching take-away coffee cups, and worse still those juggling them while driving. If you're so desperate for caffeine, get up 5 minutes earlier and make yourself a coffee at home.

Then there's the sudden outcry because the paper cups we thought were recycled aren't actually, so somebody invents a foldable travel mug to solve a problem we created unnecessarily in the first place.

Actually I did have a travel mug. It was the plastic one off an old vacuum flask. Used it when backpacking
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I occasionally use a "travel mug" - my preference is a double skin stainless steel one - as it keeps the heat in better. I take it if I'm driving somewhere and it's going to take a while or driving somewhere and I know I'm going to want a coffee when I get there (and it's not likely to be available - ie a carpark in the middle of a forest for a MTB ride).

I can see why people want takeaway coffee/drinks though - we don't all want to sit down in the coffee shop or at home - we've got places to go - but would quite like to take our favourite drink with us....
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm also intrigued by travel mugs. When I was growing up, having a tea or coffee generally involved sitting down, and the drink came in a china cup or mug which was subsequently washed up and reused. Same deal at home or in the bus station cafe.

When did we all become too busy to sit down for a drink? I'm baffled by the numbers I see bimbling down the high street or wandering round the supermarket clutching take-away coffee cups, and worse still those juggling them while driving. If you're so desperate for caffeine, get up 5 minutes earlier and make yourself a coffee at home.

Then there's the sudden outcry because the paper cups we thought were recycled aren't actually, so somebody invents a foldable travel mug to solve a problem we created unnecessarily in the first place.

Actually I did have a travel mug. It was the plastic one off an old vacuum flask. Used it when backpacking

I bought coffee in Glasgow on Friday, absolutely no way I was sitting in there. Rammed full of very busy people being busy and rushing about.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ...you would also get stabbed / slashed in Glasgow too.
  • haydenm
    Lagrange wrote:
    ...you would also get stabbed / slashed in Glasgow too.

I was in the bustling, metropolitan city centre rather than the tenements :wink:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    keef66 wrote:

It is more to do with where you buy it vs where you drink it - buy it at the station - drink it on the train. Buy it on the way to work - drink it at work.

you will likely sit down to drink it just not always where you buy it from.

keep the mug with you means you don't have to use a disposable cup each time.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ... can we keep it on this thread and explain to me what is a travel mug?

Someone who pays for Ryanair Priority Boarding.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Ben6899 wrote:

:lol:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have a travel mug that I got given for marshalling at an event. Only cheapish but it keeps the drinks hot for longer.
    When I'm working a mug can last 4 hours or so and its still warm. In a mug it'd be cold after 30 mins ?

And the lid helps me on the long walk back from the coffee area. I'm a big fan.

What i have learnt today is that Rapha are selling what looks to be oven gloves for £100 https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/limited ... LET01XXDGS

And £300 for jogging bottoms.
  • keef66
    Ben6899 wrote:

Excellent! 8)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So, Mrs Bomp and I are looking for a new mattress. Hours on line and quite a few more in shops.

So far I have learned that you can pay well over £10K for a mattress; that they can have a variety of exotic materials (cashmere, silk, alpaca); and that mattress shops have fancy rigs with 3D scanners which show the recumbent forms on the bed in weirdly metamorphosed form - I guess they are trying to flatter their punters' body shapes: my barrel chest looked properly like Desperate Dan, and Mrs B... no, let's not go there.

But what I haven't learned, not in the slightest, is which mattress would be a good buy, and most of all, which mattress might be comfortable.
  • fenix
    We stayed in a Travel Lodge once and almost bought their mattress. Very comfy. The do tell you who makes it and offer deals on them.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931
    bompington wrote:
    So, Mrs Bomp and I are looking for a new mattress. Hours on line and quite a few more in shops.

So far I have learned that you can pay well over £10K for a mattress; that they can have a variety of exotic materials (cashmere, silk, alpaca); and that mattress shops have fancy rigs with 3D scanners which show the recumbent forms on the bed in weirdly metamorphosed form - I guess they are trying to flatter their punters' body shapes: my barrel chest looked properly like Desperate Dan, and Mrs B... no, let's not go there.

But what I haven't learned, not in the slightest, is which mattress would be a good buy, and most of all, which mattress might be comfortable.
    I seem to sleep best on a thin firm mattress on a solid base... just enough cushioning to stop the bones feeling uncomfortable. So I've learnt that I can get away with a £50 Ikea jobby.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    bompington wrote:

You could do worse than trying out one of the online purveyors of foam mattresses. They all offer 100 day trials - no quibble returns. I was sceptical - worried about sweatiness etc.

I think ours is Otty - very happy with it - had it > 1 year now.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The thing I didn't mention, of course, because I definitely learned this a long time ago... is that Mrs B and I have seriously different mattress preferences (yes, weight does have something to do with this).
    So "split tension" mattresses are a thing, but don't seem to come in foam. At the moment I'm looking to see if we can find two single mattresses in different firmness but the same height; not an easy task.
    Did find a split tension one we quite liked in one shop but to my mind, £1500 is what you spend on a bike, not a bed.
  • Fenix wrote:
    I have a travel mug that I got given for marshalling at an event. Only cheapish but it keeps the drinks hot for longer.
    When I'm working a mug can last 4 hours or so and its still warm. In a mug it'd be cold after 30 mins ?

And the lid helps me on the long walk back from the coffee area. I'm a big fan.

What i have learnt today is that Rapha are selling what looks to be oven gloves for £100 https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/limited ... LET01XXDGS

And £300 for jogging bottoms.

so a travel mug - has a lid and presumably made of tough insulating material?
  • keef66
    I think they come in 2 basic kinds. There's a rugged twin walled stainless steel type with a sealable lid, favoured by outdoor types and 4x4 drivers, and then there's a kind of folding thing made out of various recycled materials, favoured by eco-sensitive rail commuters. I may be guilty of sweeping generalisations there.

I was given one of the former at work. Promotional items for a brand we were no longer selling. I knew I'd never use it so It was headed for the metal skip at the recycling centre but one of the staff there asked if he could have it. Probably the environment where it actually makes sense...
  • slowbike
    The twinwall metal things generally keep the heat in - the recycled "eco-sensitive" ones generally have plastic in them of somesort and retain no heat whatsoever and are (IMHO) a complete waste of time/effort.
  • fenix
    I think the eco sensitive ones are for people who dont want Costa to use paper cups. But a decent travel mug will keep the drink warmer and last a lot longer than a eco mug. My wife bought me one - a bamboo version of the paper cup - pretty pointless as I don't really buy takeout coffee.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    bompington wrote:
    The thing I didn't mention, of course, because I definitely learned this a long time ago... is that Mrs B and I have seriously different mattress preferences (yes, weight does have something to do with this).
    So "split tension" mattresses are a thing, but don't seem to come in foam. At the moment I'm looking to see if we can find two single mattresses in different firmness but the same height; not an easy task.
    Did find a split tension one we quite liked in one shop but to my mind, £1500 is what you spend on a bike, not a bed.

You spend more time in bed than on your bike...
  • keef66
    We often find we sleep really well in hotels where they create the illusion of a double bed by pushing 2 singles together and making it up as one.

Or it could be the increased food and alcohol intake a holiday normally involves...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    bompington wrote:

...but to my mind, £1500 is what you spend on a bike, not a bed.

You'll find you spend far, far, far more hours on your mattress than on your bike! A good night's rest will result in feeling more awake, more alert and with more energy when you get up in the mornings, meaning you can spend more hours on the bike on Sundays 8) Look at it as an investment in happiness

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• haydenm
    The key thing to remember is that mattresses are boring and bikes are exciting. Time spent on each is irrelevant, enjoyment per £ is far more relevant.

We spent £120 on a medium/firm Ikea mattress 5 years ago when I moved up here and it's fine. It's not the bottom range but it was still cheap. If I had to sleep on that mattress for the rest of my life I would be very happy. In the same period I have spent roughly 70.83 times that amount on bikes...
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    HaydenM wrote:
    The key thing to remember is that mattresses are boring and bikes are exciting. Time spent on each is irrelevant, enjoyment per £ is far more relevant.

We spent £120 on a medium/firm Ikea mattress 5 years ago when I moved up here and it's fine. It's not the bottom range but it was still cheap. If I had to sleep on that mattress for the rest of my life I would be very happy. In the same period I have spent roughly 70.83 times that amount on bikes...

Is your partner aware that you have far more fun on a bike than on the mattress?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • haydenm
    Longshot wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Is your partner aware that you have far more fun on a bike than on the mattress?

She must suspect it, although in my defense I would claim that a mattress isn't imperative for 'fun'.

Realistically though I probably would give up 'fun' for life over giving up bikes...
  • slowbike
    HaydenM wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

She must suspect it, although in my defense I would claim that a mattress isn't imperative for 'fun'.

Realistically though I probably would give up 'fun' for life over giving up bikes...

Realistically - that may not be your choice to have if your 'fun' sees this! ;)