TDF Stage 19, Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 26/07/2019 - 126,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Gutted, poor chap.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    Poor sod. That was really quite upsetting for him.

Cycling can be so cruel.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    It's fourth time in his career that he's abandoned a GT in the third week.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,433
    At last, not a nice watch. Hopefully the last 2 and a bit weeks give him the confidence to push on and try and get a GC win
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    well GFC to ride for alaphillipe?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:

a fact that must weigh on his mind as he abandons now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    pinot crying...sobbing

I felt like sobbing - he has done brilliantly. All on JA now - I can see him rising to the occasion. Groupama 'could' switch to assist him for 'la gloire de France'
  • Feel for Pinot there. Any news on what it was?
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    RichN95 wrote:

He always has a bad day. I wanted so much for that not happen this year. Terribly sad...for my PTP!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited July 2019
    It's sad that after waiting for so many years and coming so close the hopes were dashed like that. But sadly, once again I won't be winning the PTP Tour de France.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Asgreen coming up to do a turn.
    Bora need to think about chipping in too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Feel for Pinot there. Any news on what it was?
    the injured knee he got on the stage to gap 2 days ago...flaring up. kept it quiet till now
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Sagan still in the yellow jersey group, so Bora will ride to the sprint at least.
  • mididoctors
    race slowly going up the road
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    If ever a rest day came at the wrong time it was for Pinot...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Just got home and switched on. Gutted for Pinot, he'd really shown himself as a genuine contender again. Anyone know how he hurt is knee to start with? I can't remember him having a crash.

Possibly makes it harder for JA now as there is one less person for the Ineos duo to worry about behind.
  • mididoctors
    a lot of unclassified climbing in this stage
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited July 2019
    he had a crash on the Gap stage and has been nursing the injury but it's flared up. It's being reported as a torn quadricep
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    They re not going to have finished in an hour when I have to go back to work are they....

Oh Thibaut :cry:

The Nord VPN/Liverpool advert is making me seriously ashamed to have subscribed to NordVPN
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:
    Just got home and switched on. Gutted for Pinot, he'd really shown himself as a genuine contender again. Anyone know how he hurt is knee to start with? I can't remember him having a crash.

Possibly makes it harder for JA now as there is one less person for the Ineos duo to worry about behind.

no one to react to Bernal either. banged it they say. GFC riders pitch in for alaphillipe?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    ...juuust started thundering here

(Nowhere near the race but, it's that kind of weather in The Alps)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Things have certainly been simplified for Ineos. But on the other hand, they've got more work to do to shift Alahilippe. FDJ had put in some work in the mountains before (notably Gaudu). Now it's between Ineos and Lotto-Jumbo, unless Bora can be convinced to try and get their man on the podium.

But Bernal is the only pure climber left (unless you go down to the Movistars & Uran), which is a huge advantage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Soler at a standstill
  • ShutupJens
    Not sure I agree with the assertion that Rowe would be in the peloton still, very strange
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Not sure I agree with the assertion that Rowe would be in the peloton still, very strange

British exceptionalism
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373
    ShutupJens wrote:

British exceptionalism

It's annoying me that he's pronouncing it "Movie Star"
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    ShutupJens wrote:

British exceptionalism

Sagan and Trentin are still in there, I am sure Rowe could have held on.
    Not sure he would be on the front though.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:

British exceptionalism

It's annoying me that he's pronouncing it "Movie Star"

Yes me too, it comes across as lazy/being unbothered about the sport. Have heard it from him with a couple of different ones as well
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    ShutupJens wrote:

British exceptionalism

To be fair, Rowe is pretty exceptional.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:

British exceptionalism

Sagan and Trentin are still in there, I am sure Rowe could have held on.
    Not sure he would be on the front though.

Neither Sagan nor Trentin have ever even troubled the lanterne rouge competition even for a day..