TDF 2019, Stage 17: Pont du Gard > Gap 24/07/2019 - Stage 17 - 200 km *Spoilers*

1235»

Comments

• Well if you think UCI not influenced by TdF and French then you lead a very sheltered and innocent life.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Well if you think UCI not influenced by TdF and French then you lead a very sheltered and innocent life.

I agree. It's naive to think the UCI wouldn't positively welcome a French victory.
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    Don't disagree with any of that. It's purely Rowe's hand in Martin's face that elevates it.

Agreed. I think Rowe needs to reel it in a bit. He seems to have assumed this patron role without really having the palmares to justify it. Reckon it's got the peloton's back up a bit.
    Ineos are so used to dominating the race, they' can't handle it when other teams get in their way.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Don't disagree with any of that. It's purely Rowe's hand in Martin's face that elevates it.

Agreed. I think Rowe needs to reel it in a bit. He seems to have assumed this patron role without really having the palmares to justify it. Reckon it's got the peloton's back up a bit.
    Ineos are so used to dominating the race, they' can't handle it when other teams get in their way.

Eh? He and tony martin are “road captains” precisely because their experience and personal strengths qualify them for it.

It’s not an honorary title. Try instead to think of them as sorters.
  • DeadCalm wrote:

Eh? He and tony martin are “road captains” precisely because their experience and personal strengths qualify them for it.

Hmmm, no I think Rowe has tried to go a step further and take a leadership role in the peloton. Boulting and Miller were talking about it the other day.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    There will be a few who assume that role tho' by experience/manner. Cipo had it in spades, Cancellara could instil order but now there are cameras lurking everywhere. It should come down to the teams having their say and shaking hands if they are all agreeable.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Is there any other footage available than the bit with Martin swerving across Roe ? I thought that Martin was out of order at the time but not chucking him off the race out of order and I haven't seen what Roe is supposed to have done at all.

On the wider point about Roe his demeanour does remind me of Tony Gibb who was never everybody's cup of tea.

edit - just this second seen the footage of Roe grabbing Martin by the neck - I haven't got a huge problem with that as an isolated incident - worth a fine - it's not like it was in a sprint.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • amrushton wrote:
    There will be a few who assume that role tho' by experience/manner. Cipo had it in spades, Cancellara could instil order but now there are cameras lurking everywhere. It should come down to the teams having their say and shaking hands if they are all agreeable.

They were massively successful riders and earned respect. What's Rowe actually won on the road?
  • On the wider point about Roe his demeanour does remind me of Tony Gibb who was never everybody's cup of tea.

hehe, putting it mildly...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    DeadCalm wrote:

Hmmm, no I think Rowe has tried to go a step further and take a leadership role in the peloton. Boulting and Miller were talking about it the other day.

He's the road captain of the defending champions team. That gives him big status, whether you agree or not.
    Tony Martin is as respected as experienced as they come.
    Who do you suggest calls the shots in the peloton?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    amrushton wrote:

They were massively successful riders and earned respect. What's Rowe actually won on the road?
    As a team rider, every Tour de France he's ever ridden
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm wrote:

He's the road captain of the defending champions team. That gives him big status, whether you agree or not.

Yes I agree about Martin, he's earned his status as a leader in the peloton. All Rowe has done is be road captain for a very wealthy and successful team. That might mean he is often at the front of the race and riding to control things. It doesn't give him any right to extra respect or the right to throw his weight around.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Yes I agree about Martin, he's earned his status as a leader in the peloton. All Rowe has done is be road captain for a very wealthy and successful team. That might mean he is often at the front of the race and riding to control things. It doesn't give him any right to extra respect or the right to throw his weight around.
    And how do you think he got to that position? It's because the biggest fish in the pond has entrusted him to be his spokesman/envoy/henchman in the peloton. He is an extension of Froome (or Thomas). Without them around his authority diminishes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    DeadCalm wrote:

You make no sense, why compare the palmares or status? As if Rowe more of them, he would then gain the right to push people with a hand? Also, you seem to severely underestimate the role of a team captain in producing a GC champion.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Tony Martin was a great time-trialist and is well-repected by the peloton. When he gets on the front it's either for a kamikaze breakaway or to slow the peloton down for 100km. When Luke Rowe gets on the front the peloton start shitting itself...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    RichN95 wrote:

And how do you think he got to that position? It's because the biggest fish in the pond has entrusted him to be his spokesman/envoy/henchman in the peloton. He is an extension of Froome (or Thomas). Without them around his authority diminishes.

This.
    Especially as Rowe himself has just confirmed live on air, that without his presence, the road captain role reverts to Thomas himself.

The wealthy and successful argument sounds like confirmation bias to me.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95 wrote:

And seems to me to have got too big for his boots as a result. It's just an opinion.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Delete, wrong thread
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    RichN95 wrote:

This.
    Especially as Rowe himself has just confirmed live on air, that without his presence, the road captain role reverts to Thomas himself.

The wealthy and successful argument sounds like confirmation bias to me.

Quite agree with this and rich.

And if it’s palmares that’s important, Rowe has an epic one, he’s been road captain in multiple tdf titles.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Delete, wrong thread... again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format