TDF 2019, Stage 17: Pont du Gard > Gap 24/07/2019 - Stage 17 - 200 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    inseine wrote:
    What's with Alaphilipppe and all the leg shaking, tongue waging? Is he tired on getting ready for a sprint?

He has learnt alot from Voeckler, if you make all the right moves the French will love you even if you don't win.
  • inseine wrote:
    What's with Alaphilipppe and all the leg shaking, tongue waging? Is he tired on getting ready for a sprint?

grew up watching Voeckler didn't he
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    Xandro Meurisse is ahead of Romain Bardet on GC. He needs another 11 minutes to move into the top 10

He's now ahead of Fabio Aru, and chasing down his teammate Guillaume Martin.

Yes, it's that boring

He's moved ahead of Guillaume Martin and is now Virtual Best Wanty Rider

17'17" gain for Mr Meurisse, moving him (by my calculation) ahead of Dan Martin on GC and into 13th
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Can't decide if Oss' hair closeup was more entertainment than Alaphilippe dropping his glasses. At least got reminded that last year's big yellow jersey hog GvA is racing here, too.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    UCI looking at the Rowe/Martin incident
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2019
    UCI looking at the Rowe/Martin incident

Thomas talked it down as jostling for position.
  • yourpaceormine
    Martin retaliated for Rowe cutting Kruiswick* up apparently.

* Sorry, can never spell his name.
  • yourpaceormine
    Both Rowe and Martin are off the race
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Not ideal for either team ahead of the alps.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2019
    Crikey!
    Skujins started to rival Fuglsang as the rider commentators like to try to pronounce 'properly'.
    We've had Skoojins, Skooins., Skunge, Skunch...
  • FocusZing

Blimey. I didn't expect that, it was bloody close to the fans though.
  • gweeds
    Handy for the French hopefuls though eh?....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • FocusZing
    Gweeds wrote:

Yeah, not good for team morale either.
  • yourpaceormine
    Gweeds wrote:
    You're far too cynical there. Although, you may have a very valid point...
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:
    You're far too cynical there. Although, you may have a very valid point...

FRENCH UCI PRESIDENT

FRENCH WINNERS A POSSIBILITY

FRENCH UCI JURY

FRENCH RACE

JOIN THE DOTS SHEEPLE

That’s right isn’t it? Channelling clinic.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Gweeds wrote:

Now let me think, who might that benefit...... Oh, quelle surprise.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Oh for.....sake
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Martin retaliated for Rowe cutting Kruiswick* up apparently.

Has anyone seen this incident?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Good podcast material there.

The CGI footage is due back from the lab any time now. :wink:

Eurosport are on it.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/tou ... tory.shtml
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daninexile
    daninexile Posts: 45

Just a bit of handbags.

Part of me applauds the UCI for not mucking about. Part of me just thinks if they sorted it out themselves and nobody got hurt then crack on. Not sure what distance it was at but I’m sure a hard day in that heat and I’d be a bit irritated over nothing as well.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Can't see that eurosport footage here in Thailand but in the footage doing the rounds on Twitter it looks like Rowe took a swing at Martin.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Can't see that eurosport footage here in Thailand but in the footage doing the rounds on Twitter it looks like Rowe took a swing at Martin.
    Yep, looks that way.

Although Martin started it, raising a hand to strike or push another rider is never going to end well.
  • FocusZing
    edited July 2019
    EAQkNdnWsAAWSKC.jpg

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16?lang=en

This is allegedly where it all turns to pollocks.
  • blazing_saddles
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Yep, looks that way.

Although Martin started it, raising a hand to strike or push another rider is never going to end well.

None of that footage been seen in the UK during coverage, just the swerving incident. Any links?
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Yep, looks that way.

None of that footage been seen in the UK during coverage, just the swerving incident. Any links?
    Here's a link;

https://twitter.com/kd2357/status/1154080597146554369

From 30 secs you see what sparked the incident when Ineos and Jumbo lines were fighting for space and got into a kerfuffle.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Yep, looks that way.

Don't know how to share Twitter links but inner ring has tweeted a link to it.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Yep, looks that way.

Here's a link;

https://twitter.com/kd2357/status/1154080597146554369

From 30 secs you see what sparked the incident when Ineos and Jumbo lines were fighting for space and got into a kerfuffle.

Great. Thanks for that.
    So it goes back even further than that, to a Jumbo rider (Bennett?) putting Geraint off the road. Seems to be what kicked it all off.
  • DeadCalm
    Reaction from Brailsford and Rowe here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grm07KzjNck
    Team My Man 2022:

• gweeds
    It feels like an overreaction to me. The riders dealt with it on the road. This just magnifies it more than it needs to be.
  • DeadCalm
    Gweeds wrote:
    It feels like an overreaction to me. The riders dealt with it on the road. This just magnifies it more than it needs to be.
    A hand to the face is always going to be a DQ these days.
    Team My Man 2022: