TDF 2019, Stage 14: Tarbes > Tourmalet Barèges 20/07/2019 - 117,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    edited July 2019
    FocusZing wrote:
    Hincapie was saying that some of the other teams could assist Quick Setup against a dominant Ineos, with large a budget. I thought this was and interesting angle for the coming week, depending on who's left in the GC fight.

Not the old 'the other teams can unite against a common enemy' chestnut. As my old boss used to say, give me three examples of this and I'll believe it to be possible.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865
    andyp wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Hincapie was saying that some of the other teams could assist Quick Setup against a dominant Ineos, with large a budget. I thought this was and interesting angle for the coming week, depending on who's left in the GC fight.

Not the old 'the other teams can unite against a common enemy' chestnut. As old boss used to say, give me three examples of this and I'll believe it to be possible.

I dont think madiot is thinking french combine right now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    It won't happen but... I'd like to see all the domestiques out of the picture by around the time they get to Bareges (or maybe a a little after) and the likes of GT, JA, TP etc end up going head to head.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    This looks like a short, punchy stage which should suit Alaphilippe.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    hypster wrote:

The Tourmalet is really really long.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    hypster wrote:

its longer than that
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:

Not long enough to stop Alaphilippe. He's in yellow and can do anything apparently.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    hypster wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Not long enough to stop Alaphilippe. He's in yellow and can do anything apparently.
    If he smashes it up the Tourmalet and puts two minutes into everyone you might have a point.
  • hypster
    If he's still in yellow by the next rest day I think my point will be made.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    I rarely watch pro races, so I doubt I'm the first to write this...

Do any of you with smart turbos get crazy ideas on stages like this to either ride the same big climb or something similar while watching the stage?

As much as I should get outdoors for a ride soon before this stage starts plus it looks like it now might be dry around Old Winchester and Butser Hills, for the first time since getting my Direto ~19 months ago, a silly part of me is thinking about riding the Mont ventoux climb https://www.strava.com/segments/17891747 on the currently free https://www.rgtcycling.com/ turbo app when this stage approaches the start of the Tourmalet to get a rough feel for just how awesome the pros are compared to middle aged me.

At best, I'd love to see Alaphillipe pull away from the other GC contenders on the final ramp, or at worst hold on to the back wheel of G to the stage finish, letting Bernal go if he decides to storm off ahead.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Hadn't realised how short the stage is until I just checked what time coverage starts.

Bernal could come into play today either to mark any of the fringe GC riders going long or to go early himself to put pressure on others but I suspect that in reality he will be Thomas' right hand man unless Thomas cracks.

I'm loving the idea of teams combining to help those plucky underdogs DQS against money bags, dominant Ineos. It would be nice if they got to win something for a change.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I rarely watch pro races, so I doubt I'm the first to write this...

Do any of you with smart turbos get crazy ideas on stages like this to either ride the same big climb or something similar while watching the stage?

As much as I should get outdoors for a ride soon before this stage starts plus it looks like it now might be dry around Old Winchester and Butser Hills, for the first time since getting my Direto ~19 months ago, a silly part of me is thinking about riding the Mont ventoux climb https://www.strava.com/segments/17891747 on the currently free https://www.rgtcycling.com/ turbo app when this stage approaches the start of the Tourmalet to get a rough feel for just how awesome the pros are compared to middle aged me.

At best, I'd love to see Alaphillipe pull away from the other GC contenders on the final ramp, or at worst hold on to the back wheel of G to the stage finish, letting Bernal go if he decides to storm off ahead.

I frequently ride along, Kills two birds with one stone. I dont have a smart trainer but do use the RGT app. The stelvio is my prefered pain zone, with chemical brothers or similar to help .

Watching the race and riding along en turbo if i dont have a specificly structured session can take the place of a group ride by riding at tempo in the break, z2/3/ and harder when its lined out and fracturing. I sprint for the win and intermediates. Adds i knock it off for recovery and to make sure i drink. That way i can endure over two hours of turbo and still meet my parental presence responsibilities.

My garage stinks as a result
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    +1 for RGT Stelvio.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Depart Reel delayed due to a protest apparently. Those Frenchies will do anything to keep Alan Phillip in yellow!
  • Depart Reel delayed due to a protest apparently. Those Frenchies will do anything to keep Alan Phillip in yellow!

Gilet jaune for the maillot jaune
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Quintana sitting there looking like a meerkat.

Meerkat-sentry2-Dan-Boyd.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Alexis Vuillermoz once overtook me on the Mont du Chat.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Saga and the Shark....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    The terrible two are gapping the lot.
    At least De Gendt suffering badly after yesterday's effort.......
  • above_the_cows
    Remember when Nibbles and Sagan were team mates and someone did a parody of Sagan on Twitter where Nibz was Mr Spaghetti Nibbles...

Good times.
  • mididoctors
    alaphillipe looking a bit stiff?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Depart Reel delayed due to a protest apparently. Those Frenchies will do anything to keep Alan Phillip in yellow!

That explains it, I turned the TV on as they rolled out went and did some housework then came back 25 minutes later to see they were still in the neutralised zone. Thought it was quite a long roll out!
  • blazing_saddles
    alaphillipe looking a bit stiff?

Funny place to swan about. Maybe he's marking Bernal, who is also back there?

Groupama put a TGV man infront of the DQS slow train.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Alaphilippe either still in the same GC position or goes for it and takes more time, I can't see him losing time today even after yesterdays performance.

* prepares to eat words *
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Pross
    Not impressed by the President's security there as a bunch of seemingly non-accredited members of the public get up close!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Another good looking stage, another day travelling... How do I cøck this up so badly?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    Another good looking stage, another day travelling... How do I cøck this up so badly?

Le cøck sportif.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I don't think I'd be swimming in that lake...

9b923.jpg

Fish!

I mean Shark!
  • above_the_cows
    :D:D
  • mididoctors
    since the plank i have had this on off feeling Ineos have it in the bag only to be surprised.