TDF 2019: Stage 6, Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 11/07/2019 - 160,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    It's my daughter's graduation ceremony at 4pm today. Why do they not take major events into consideration when organising these things?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Barguil a minute behind after his mum had a bit of a panic over his wheel. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Pross wrote:
    It's my daughter's graduation ceremony at 4pm today. Why do they not take major events into consideration when organising these things?

But you know the outcome of that event. Easy choice.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Which will be heavier by the end of the week, Valverde or his bike?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Any update on Valverde's weight?

Cheers.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Pross wrote:
    Thought Bora might have gone hard early to try to eliminate some pure sprinters.

I think Sagan just has to remain upright in Paris
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373
    FocusZing wrote:

Cheers.

People are saying he's the skinniest he's ever been. Only seen it mentioned a couple of times though so no idea if true or not. Definitely hasn't been shown on camera at any point.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    FocusZing wrote:

Cheers.

Weights will have to be placed on Valverde in strategic places to keep him above the weight limit
  • mididoctors
    Joe Totale wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Cheers.

Weights will have to be placed on Valverde in strategic places to keep him above the weight limit
    17kg loss I heard
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • FocusZing wrote:

Cheers.

He's been spotted with a pair of panniers on the back to maintain traction on the steeper ramps of Le Planche.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    FocusZing wrote:

Cheers.

People are saying he's the skinniest he's ever been. Only seen it mentioned a couple of times though so no idea if true or not. Definitely hasn't been shown on camera at any point.

Thanks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    So break, which is decent, has 7 minutes.

Winner from there, or too soon to say?
  • mididoctors
    Fiesty competition on these mountain sprints
  • mididoctors

I can't see them making it in my mind's eye. But someone behind has to accelerate soon. On the ballon pick it up a bit.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2019
    It is very slow.

Not even a gropetto yet.
  • So break, which is decent, has 7 minutes.

I can't see them making it in my mind's eye. But someone behind has to accelerate soon. On the ballon pick it up a bit.
    The finish is so hard that time will be wiped out quickly
  • Keeping an eye out for Van Garderen

Is Pinot staying at home tonight and feeding the goats its only 14 miles away from the top of Belle Filles
  • mididoctors

You thinking it will be 7 mins at the base of the final climb?
  • blazing_saddles
    Brian Smith seems to have contradicting ideas about Ineos and tactics.
    On the one hand he doesn't think Geraint is quite up to it just yet, on the other, he thinks they will want to go for the stage win, possibily taking the jersey in the process and test the rest.
    To me, Adam Blythe's view of: why should they take it up when they don't need to? is the more logical.
  • rick_chasey
    On the one hand he doesn't think Geraint is quite up to it just yet, on the other, he thinks they will want to go for the stage win, possibily taking the jersey in the process and test the rest.
    To me, Adam Blythe's view of: why should they take it up when they don't need to? is the more logical.

Suits to give anyone in that break a few minutes, no?
  • mididoctors
    Adam Blythe's view of: why should they take it up when they don't need to? is the more logical.

Peloton is acting pretty scared of this stage. Conservative.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2019

Suits to give anyone in that break a few minutes, no?

I don't see a problem with it, unless one considers Ciconne a GC threat.
    Maybe Teuns might be a bit more of a concern, but why not?
    Nibali or Porte would be left with all the work, without the actual reward on their shoulders.
  • You thinking it will be 7 mins at the base of the final climb?

If it is, I'd fancy Ciccone for the stage and yellow. But can't see DQS relinquishing yellow that easy - and they have been riding on the front all day, so doesn't that indicate they want to try and eventually reel in the break?
  • So break, which is decent, has 7 minutes.

You thinking it will be 7 mins at the base of the final climb?

doubt it -2-minutes max?
  • rick_chasey
    pace is higher now - groenewegen out the back.
  • mididoctors
    Selection occuring by attrition in lead group
  • blazing_saddles
    Edet abandons, so he was sick after all.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Bunch going slowly now means that the pace is going to be brutal up the final climb. Get ready for the time comparisons! Good job it's a different route or that Armstrong/Pantani never rode it
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    FocusZing wrote:

Cheers.

He hasn't been seen on camera at any point because he has lost so much weight he is now invisible to the naked eye.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    Ineos taking up the front