TDF 2019: Stage 1, Bruxelles > Brussel, 06/07/2019 - 194,5 km *Spoilers*

12346»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    The only GC rider in the front group was Nibali.

In 25th.
    Guillaume Martin finished 21st.
    Your definition of a GC rider is broader than mine
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

In 25th.
    Your definition of a GC rider is broader than mine

Mike Teunissen has won the GC in the last two stage races he's entered. How dare you rule him out of overall so early! :lol:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,788
    RichN95 wrote:

In 25th.

The Bora rider on the deck looks like it was Buchmann.
    Cosnefroy and Vuillermoz potentially the two Ag2r riders.
    Looks like it could have been Dennis on the deck too, from the final classement.
    Bu99er
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:

In 25th.

The Bora rider on the deck looks like it was Buchmann.
    Cosnefroy and Vuillermoz potentially the two Ag2r riders.
    Looks like it could have been Dennis on the deck too, from the final classement.

Team website says mohoric and Caruso are the crashers of the day . I guess Dennis helped him across the line
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    Team website says mohoric and Caruso are the crashers of the day . I guess Dennis helped him across the line

New national champs just adding to the general confusion of the opening stage.

BBC Wales can be handy at times like today.
    Geraint on his tumble.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48895237
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    An amazing stat that I didn't think could be true when Armstrong said it - but it is:

Mike Teunissen is the first Dutchman to wear the Yellow Jersey for THIRTY years.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,114
    RichN95 wrote:
    An amazing stat that I didn't think could be true when Armstrong said it - but it is:

Mike Teunissen is the first Dutchman to wear the Yellow Jersey for THIRTY years.

Yep, first since Breukink in '89. I think it said in that BBC link Blazing put up.
  • RichN95.
    Mike Teunissen is another in the list of cyclists who have a shorten version of an English name as their first name (i.e. his name is Mike not Michael)
    See also Andy Schleck, Tony Martin, Tim Wellens, Bob Jungels, Danny van Poppel, Tom Boonen
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,169
    Another win this season for a former crosser; 2013 U23 World Champion, were he beat amongst others WVA and Alaphilippe...
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2019
    Breukink. He seemed to be around for ever. ... Just a function of being younger when cycling careers where not a temporal blip compared to ones age I guess.

It is a surprising stat.
  • RichN95.
    Onboard footage of Fuglsang's crash. It almost makes it look like an evil Bahrain set piece attack.

https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/11 ... 6525296640
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Quite enjoyed the interview with Teunissen in the ITV podcast (recommend a listen, btw) - "I was going past one person, two person, then I saw Sagan and thought 'Oh, I'm going quicker than him'"
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,528
    RichN95 wrote:
    Onboard footage of Fuglsang's crash. It almost makes it look like an evil Bahrain set piece attack.

https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/11 ... 6525296640

Impressive planning on the team bus.

"I'll lead him in. When I call, you go down and swing the bike through. I'll bunny hop out of the way and he'll go straight into you"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,520
    Tjonge jonge.

Groenewegen down hard, Teunissen with the win over Sagan.

Crazy.

You do wonder if Sagan lost the win by going after the intermediate sprint too hard.
  • mididoctors

You do wonder if Sagan lost the win by going after the intermediate sprint too hard.

I am surprised no one mentioned this till now here or on the podcast Sphere. Hell I am surprised I didn't mention it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,520
    source.gif
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    So fresh on the first day of the race, Sagan didn't have one small sprint and one big one in this legs...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I think it says more about the readiness of Dylan's train...
    Half man, Half bike
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Ridgerider wrote:
    So fresh on the first day of the race, Sagan didn't have one small sprint and one big one in this legs...?

I wouldn't read that much into Sagan coming second.. On a chaotic draggy sprint, he got the timing wrong and got done by a cross rider - like everyone else this year!