TDF 2019: Stage 1, Bruxelles > Brussel, 06/07/2019 - 194,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,670
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Bruxelles > Brussel - Stage 1 - 194,5 km - Flat
At 194,5 kilometres, the 1st stage of the Tour de France is an out-and-back race in Brussels. The route takes in the iconic Wall of Geraardsbergen, but as the cobbled hill is crested in the first part of the race it won't have an impact on the battle for the first maillot jaune.

stage-1-tdf-2019-map-750h.png

The 800 vertical metres includes the cobbled Muur van Geraardsbergen, and Bosberg climbs.

stage-1-tdf-2019-profile.jpg

The Tour de France tackles the famous climb of the Muur van Geraardsbergen or Mur de Grammont. It's also called the Kapelmuur, because of the chapel at the top. It's a climb which is a fixture on the Tour of Flanders.

geraardsbergen-kapel.jpg

The ascent starts near the river Dender at 18m, and takes a series of steep, narrow, cobbled roads to the top of the Oudenberg at 110m. They are Brugstraat, Markt, Vesten, and Oudebergstraat. The average gradient is 9.2%, and the last bit up to the chapel is 20%.

geraardsbergen-muur.jpg

Over the Bosberg – with still 140 kilometres remaining – the route continues to Edingen and Charleroi, where the 1975 Tour de France celebrated its Grand Départ with a prologue (Francesco Moser win). Now the race turns north to return to Brussels via Villers-la-Ville, Waterloo, Overijse, Tervuren and Sint-Pieters-Woluwe. The passage through Sint-Pieters-Woluwe is to honour Eddy Merckx, as the five time Tour de France winner grew up in this village. He also took his first ever yellow jersey here – in 1969.
It is approximately 10 kilometres from Sint-Pieters-Woluwe to the finish near the Castle of Laeken, the official residence of the King of the Belgians.

77b92

The first Grand Départ in Brussels was held on behalf of during the 1958 Brussels Worlds Fair, an event for which the Atomium was constructed, a landmark building where stage 2‘s team trial is set to finish. Obviously, the Tour de France visited the Belgian capital more often. It will be the eleventh inclusion of Brussels.

Favourites 1st stage 2019 Tour de France

*** Dylan Groenewegen, Elia Viviani, Caleb Ewan
** Peter Sagan, Michael Matthews, Alexander Kristoff
* André Greipel, Christophe Laporte, Giacomo Nizzolo

Bruxelles

Population: 180,000 for Brussels City, 1.2 million for the 19 communes of the Brussels-Capital region.

Dubbed the Capital of Europe, Brussels is the second most cosmopolitan city in the world with 179 different nationalities and more than 100 languages spoken. The only bilingual region in Belgium. Brussels is the non-French city the most often visited by the Tour de France peloton, who crossed the border to reach the Belgium capital twelve times in the past. It is logical when one thinks of the importance of Belgian cycling in the history of the race and especially of Brussels itself. This year will obviously be celebrated the 50th anniversary of Eddy Merckx’s first victory in the Tour. Oddly, he never won a Tour de France stage in Brussels but he took the yellow jersey after the team time trial of 1969 (before taking his revenge in the 1973 Paris-Brussels).

Sights.
Grand Place
Renowned for its ornamental wealth, it is lined by the guild houses, the Town Hall and the King's House (Broodhuis in Dutch). It is considered, especially by Victor Hugo, as one of the most beautiful squares in the world.

media-5733.jpg

Manneken Pis
Be aware, if you go and see the most popular monument in Brussels and probably one of most famous fountains in the world, that the little ketje (kid) who urinates in front of you is not the original statue ordered in 1619 by the Brussels authorities to sculptor Jerome Duquesnoy. It was actually replaced in 1965 by a copy, the original being in the museum of the House of the King to save it from being damaged.

Atomium
One of the symbols of Brussels since its construction for the 1958 World Fair, the Atomium is a representation of a unit cell of the iron crystal enlarged 65 billion times. Contrary to popular belief, the nine balls of the building do not represent the nine provinces of Belgium. Designed by engineer André Waterkeyn, it rises to 102 meters and its metal structure weighs 2,400 tons. Destined to be demolished after the exhibition, this monument to the glory of science became so popular that it was finally preserved.

1-2-1170x640.jpg

Specialties: fries, mussels, chicons (endives), caricoles (clams), waffles, chocolate, cuberdons, speculoos (biscuits), beer (gueuze in particular)

o.jpg

black-label.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• YAY!!!!!!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    The climb up the Kapelmuur is about my favourite climb that I've ever ridden. Cobbles are smooth, just the right level of challenge and the iconic church at the top.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,724
    Cav could do well here
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,506
    Here we go!

Don't forget there's also a short pavé secteur just before the intermediate sprint. I think this is it:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4929081 ... 312!8i6656

Seems a touch daft to put a first day peloton on it, but hey, how many collarbones can Porte break anyway?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Really looking forward to this, off to Brussels tomorrow.
    Dinner booked for tomorrow night here,http://www.bier-circus.be/?lang=en
    Full start line hospitality on Saturday 0930-1900.
    Mooch about on Sunday followed by visit to Delirium Sunday evening to sample their 2000+ beers !!!
    https://www.deliriumvillage.com/bar/delirium-cafe/
  • blazing_saddles
    Mooch about on Sunday followed by visit to Delirium Sunday evening to sample their 2000+ beers !!!

To be followed by a liver transplant on Monday? :)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,506

Bier Circus is a beer mecca. It's changed a bit over the years, moved a few doors down the road and started doing full meals not just bar snacks. Drank my first draft lambic there. Give it my regards!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Looks like the Ref started in June this year. :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,387
    Uphill drag - keep an eye out for riders going too early, especially if there is a headwind.

I'm also assuming the different names are to be balanced in the Dutch/French speaking divide?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Manneken Pis
    Be aware, if you go and see the most popular monument in Brussels and probably one of most famous fountains in the world, that the little ketje (kid) who urinates in front of you is not the original statue ordered in 1619 by the Brussels authorities to sculptor Jerome Duquesnoy. It was actually replaced in 1965 by a copy, the original being in the museum of the House of the King to save it from being damaged.
    A strong contender for 'World's Worst Tourist Attraction'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,430
    RichN95 wrote:
    Manneken Pis

At least you are close to other, interesting things to see so you don't waste too much time going to see it. The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen, on the other hand...
  • stage-1-tdf-2019-profile.jpg

The Tour de France tackles the famous climb of the Muur van Geraardsbergen or Mur de Grammont. It's also called the Kapelmuur, because of the chapel at the top. It's a climb which is a fixture on the Tour of Flanders.

Will the days break be allowed to get away before this climb and the following one, with the prize being two days in the KOM jersey.

I can see a situation, hopefully, with the smaller/minor teams all battling to get into the break that we have an hour of hard racing in the peloton.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156
    Is the KoM jersey worn during the TT - or would you want to?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Is the KoM jersey worn during the TT - or would you want to?
    Yes. It will claimed by a minor team on stage 1, so they'll want to wear it. Like Wanty last year.

WhatsApp_Image_2018-07-09_at_21.25.04_large.jpeg?v=1531168831
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Will be one of those stages hopefully where watching the break go will be a fantastic watch. Cannot wait for tomorrow - been off work all week, knocking about waiting for the racing to start
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

At least you are close to other, interesting things to see so you don't waste too much time going to see it. The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen, on the other hand...

Lol I was going to say its underwhelming for sure...but at least it's not the little mermaid in Copenhagen :lol:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,805
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Will be one of those stages hopefully where watching the break go will be a fantastic watch. Cannot wait for tomorrow - been off work all week, knocking about waiting for the racing to start

I'm calling it now, 6 man break. All wild card teams represented (Wanty with 2 riders)
  • blazing_saddles
    Good to see that Eurosport has taken notes and sent Orla and the gang on tour.
    Brad Wiggins going to do a motorbike link, too.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,324
    ShutupJens wrote:

I'm calling it now, 6 man break. All wild card teams represented (Wanty with 2 riders)

Counter opinion - reduced break of three allowed to get away instantly. Nobody wants to work harder than necessary on day one. Further prediction - this will eventually dawn on the DS's and they'll crack the whip. Stage three should have a much more lively first hour as everyone either chases everything down or pull their radio earpieces out and get chased down by their own team car to get shouted at in person.
  • blazing_saddles
    ShutupJens wrote:

Counter opinion - reduced break of three allowed to get away instantly. Nobody wants to work harder than necessary on day one. Further prediction - this will eventually dawn on the DS's and they'll crack the whip. Stage three should have a much more lively first hour as everyone either chases everything down or pull their radio earpieces out and get chased down by their own team car to get shouted at in person.

Not going to happen. First hour will be manic. KoM jersey to be won.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I take it Brian Smith doesnt work for Dimension Data anymore after that broadside for leaving out Cav :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    Eddy Merckx doing the Grand Depart.
    Geraint already right behind the car, Adam Yates last man on the road.....
  • mididoctors
    Tear to the eye .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    It all looks very un 2019 somehow. In a good way.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Very much 'school assembly' vibe here.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    ShutupJens wrote:

Not going to happen. First hour will be manic. KoM jersey to be won.

Fear the worst, hope for the best :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    Hammer down from the start. Like a cavalry charge.
    GVA involved, too.
  • blazing_saddles
    OK, so it looks as if I was wrong and a 4+1 chasing break has got away.
    GVA the surprise package, maybe because CCC are just shiite.
  • Lanterne_Rogue

Fear the worst, hope for the best :wink:

Correction: Fear the Würtz.

Damn autocorrect.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,049
    Anti-climatic start then, didn't see the peloton allowing the first 5 riders to try being allowed to ride away.