Giro 2019, Stage 16: Lovere - Ponte di Legno 194 km *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Gweeds wrote:
    Nibali makes it hard to like him off the bike, but he's pure racer and gives zero f***s.

yep. definitely the most instinctive racer that can go for GC in the races that matter (i.e. 3 week tours). think he doesn't enjoy races where sports science and team Haribo (sky/Ineos) will win out through sheer numbers. I like him, because he does make things happen.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Great stage. Class by Nibali - super racing. He has zero f***s to give and I like that.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Great stage. Class by Nibali - super racing. He has zero f***s to give and I like that.
    If he doesn't give a f***, why is he always complaining about other people then?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    If he doesn't give a f***, why is he always complaining about other people then?

Because sometimes it works.
  • Ben6899
    edited May 2019
    [/quote]
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Get in their heads. Seed the doubt.

When I used to play up front, I challenged every single offside call by the linesman - even the ones where I knew I'd mistimed the run and they were right.

Seed the doubt. The next time I go early, he might keep his flag down and I'm in.

It works.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Because it he likes a bit of needle and it doesn't both him?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    yeah, Gamesmanship works...

The day after he b1tched about Roglic just sitting on his wheel, Roglic had a more attacking day and wasted energy for today where Nibali over took him.

You're very welcome to not like the people who sledge, but it's hard to pretend it doesnt work on some people...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver wrote:

The day after he b1tched about Roglic just sitting on his wheel, Roglic had a more attacking day and wasted energy for today where Nibali over took him.

You're very welcome to not like the people who sledge, but it's hard to pretend it doesnt work on some people...
    It makes him come across as a petulant child, so it's not helping me to like him.

Not arguing that he's not good for the race though, by any stretch.
  • Ben6899
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

It makes him come across as a petulant child, so it's not helping me to like him.

You don't get bonus seconds for people liking you.
    Ben

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

And some people do like him.
    Didn't he pick up a water bottle from someone on another team during the climb attack yesterday?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I was commenting on people liking him, not so much the bonus seconds. I don't see it, myself.
  • Ben6899
    I was making the point that he obviously doesn't care.

But yeh, a bidon from a CCC rider yesterday.
    Ben

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Pointless though on the likes of Carthy/non GC contenders.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

#gameface
    #inthezone
    #livingtherole
    :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Indeed. Just makes Nibali look like whiny.

I kinda got it with Roglic, although as we can now see it probably wasn't just because he was being lazy...
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    For what it's worth he is by far my favourite rider at the moment and has been for a while now. He rides how everyone wants every other rider to ride. Attacking and exciting.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    I read that AG2R's Alexis Vuillermoz had an asthma attack on the Montirolo causing him to crash and go over the edge...
  • bobmcstuff
    Craigus89 wrote:
    For what it's worth he is by far my favourite rider at the moment and has been for a while now. He rides how everyone wants every other rider to ride. Attacking and exciting.

I certainly don't disagree he's one of the most exciting riders to watch.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    This last climb looks brutal.
  • ocdupalais
    MA Lopez dropped from chasing peloton.
  • ocdupalais
    Landa attacking, Carthy on his wheel.
  • bobmcstuff
    Wrong thread no?
  • ocdupalais
    Lopez back on
  • ocdupalais
    Oops - Oh yeah - soz!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Nibali Stuff

I'm far from his biggest fan...

But it's more ambivalence in my case. Attacking rider, yes but also annoying, whiny and 'that' moment with the car...which is still just funny...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Wrong thread no?

Maybe he was catching up on the highlights :D
  • pinno
    That'll do his BB no good.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Pinno wrote:
    That'll do his BB no good.

On the other hand, if the shoe covers work, I want some.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    "And kids, this is how triathlon was invented!"
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023