Giro 2019, Stage 16: Lovere - Ponte di Legno 194 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Roglic loses 1:20 could have been worse

Doesn't look like he has the legs to destroy everyone in Verona however.
    yeah fading. May be morale too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Pinno wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Ciccone looked to be on 30mm rims

Immaterial. At least Hirt didn't do a Gerrans on him.

Of course, I just thought it unusual to see a rider on such narrow rims these days.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Is the assumption that Carapaz will fade, or is he now in with a shout?
    Hasn't shipped too much in either of the TTs so far.

I was assuming it was his to lose. Not sure who is likely to beat him.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Carapaz has a good margin at this point in the race... he is the favourite
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Wiggo and friends giving (I think) Jumbo Visma a serious kicking this evening!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Nibs will have to take time on a Carapaz that seems to be climbing very well and who has a super strong team around him to take the win. I think Carapaz's lead as it stands is defendable in the final TT.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    ddraver wrote:

Yep, it was about Engels whole body language and comments (as my comment on the previous page). It's the second time he has been interviewed and short of saying Roglic has no chance of winning he is about as negative as you could get.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yep, it was about Engels whole body language and comments (as my comment on the previous page). It's the second time he has been interviewed and short of saying Roglic has no chance of winning he is about as negative as you could get.

Not sure Wiggins would have done as well on a Dutch team judging by the cultural confusion.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    D7an1D5XsAI5rgp.jpg:large

One thing that always bothers me about these route profiles. All of the coverage refers exclusively to km to go, not km elapsed. This makes it difficult to see where they are on the profile at a glance.

I know it's designed to be easy for the riders, teams etc. but surely for the viewer it would be easier if reversed.

I am well aware this belongs in the "seemingly trivial things that annoy you" thread...

Or a reverse distance profile, like the one in the Ronde thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13104545

Bloody helpful when you're several Duvel's into a monument.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    D7an1D5XsAI5rgp.jpg:large

One thing that always bothers me about these route profiles. All of the coverage refers exclusively to km to go, not km elapsed. This makes it difficult to see where they are on the profile at a glance.

I know it's designed to be easy for the riders, teams etc. but surely for the viewer it would be easier if reversed.

I am well aware this belongs in the "seemingly trivial things that annoy you" thread...

Or a reverse distance profile, like the one in the Ronde thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13104545

Bloody helpful when you're several Duvel's into a monument.

Yeah, that was what I meant, just poorly expressed. It would be easier if the distances on the profiles were reversed.

It's mostly when I've got half an eye on it at work - I want to be able to just glance at some footage or the live text updates and know exactly where they are up to in the profile.

Actually it's especially annoying on the live text updates cos they have the profile doing it one way and the text updates doing it the other way in the same place.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    A scrap of paper and 2 mins preparation should help - until your boss finds a note saying "Start of climb, 40kms to go" and instructions as to when you're allowed to eat and drink on it
  • bobmcstuff
    ShutupJens wrote:
    A scrap of paper and 2 mins preparation should help - until your boss finds a note saying "Start of climb, 40kms to go" and instructions as to when you're allowed to eat and drink on it
    Or stick a route profile to the top of my keyboard
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Effing tennis delays ES's Giro 'highlights' once again. There's only 3 channels of tennis on at the moment!
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Was Nibali having a pop at Carthy as they crossed the line? Looked that way. Wow, Nibali is such an easy bloke to dislike.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Carapaz off to another team next year?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Was Nibali having a pop at Carthy as they crossed the line? Looked that way. Wow, Nibali is such an easy bloke to dislike.
    Carthy did sit on for quite a while. When I say "sit on", I mean clung on. Desperately.
    I can see where Nibs is coming from but I doubt Carthy could do more.
    If he is in a breakaway tomorrow then...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    good stage
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Should Nibali have given it a go on the descent? On the one hand Carapaz isn't the best downhill and Nibali needs to take time somewhere. On the other Carapaz had a couple of team mates - Landa and Amador - to pull back any time Nibali pulled out. I think I'd have given it a go anyway - if only to put a bit of pressure on Carapaz and see what happened.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    PBlakeney wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Carthy did sit on for quite a while. When I say "sit on", I mean clung on. Desperately.

Fair do's to Carthy, he looks so ungainly on the bike but grinds out the results.

As CK would say, "The Lancashire Longshot"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Should Nibali have given it a go on the descent? On the one hand Carapaz isn't the best downhill and Nibali needs to take time somewhere. On the other Carapaz had a couple of team mates - Landa and Amador - to pull back any time Nibali pulled out. I think I'd have given it a go anyway - if only to put a bit of pressure on Carapaz and see what happened.
    Hector Carretero was also excellent for Movistar today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Fair do's to Carthy, he looks so ungainly on the bike but grinds out the results.
    Carthy looks like he's been modelled by Aardman Animation
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

You'd have given it a go down the super sketchy, freezing slippery wet descent of death?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Best stage of the Giro so far for me. Brutal!
  • I think the confidence with which Movistar dealt with Nibali's attack was impressive. The just rode back to him without looking in any real difficulty. Having the Jersey and Landa in such a dangerous position in a GC is really strong too.

That said they'll probably manage to movistar it up somehow :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    ddraver wrote:

You'd have given it a go down the super sketchy, freezing slippery wet descent of death?
    I dare say that Nibs could have dropped them on the descent.
    Then they would have caught him solo on the flat. Not worth the risk.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Landa will move on, Carapaz is the present/ future of Movistar. possibly...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    RichN95 wrote:
    Carthy looks like he's been modelled by Aardman Animation
    clearly a talent, clearly needs some wd40 in those hips, ugly on a bike. put a load of effort in just to stay near Nibbles.
  • bobmcstuff
    PBlakeney wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:

Nibali strikes me as a nasty piece of work. He always whinges at other people then does the exact same thing.

The other day he was complaining about Roglic and then spent the next stage sitting on Roglic's wheel.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    philbar72 wrote:
    Landa will move on, Carapaz is the present/ future of Movistar. possibly...

Landa seems doomed to be the bridesmaid never the bride. He was prepared to go with Nibali but stayed with Carapaz and they reeled the break in. carapaz will stay at Movi. Valverde will be leaving next year, Quintana has been off the boil for a while. Interestingly it was discussed on The Move podcast that the gap to Ciccone and Hirt was never brought down significantly so those two must have been quick to maintain that gap
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Nibali makes it hard to like him off the bike, but he's pure racer and gives zero fucks.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.