May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    john80 wrote:
    Be careful what you wish for. Tusk will merely quote an obscure piece of UK law and then declare we are a rules based organisation so nothing can be done. This is the EU way.

Would you not rather have him in your tent...?

Not sure I would want any politician in my tent. On the plus side if they said it was raining I would not have to go outside. We seem to be placing trust in politicians we really don't know very well if at all.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    john80 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    Be careful what you wish for. Tusk will merely quote an obscure piece of UK law and then declare we are a rules based organisation so nothing can be done. This is the EU way.

Not sure I would want any politician in my tent. On the plus side if they said it was raining I would not have to go outside. We seem to be placing trust in politicians we really don't know very well if at all.

What do you propose intead?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    One assumes we can cross Leadsom off the list as the latest idiot/fantasist to claim there is such a thing as a "managed no deal".
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    rjsterry wrote:
    One assumes we can cross Leadsom off the list as the latest idiot/fantasist to claim there is such a thing as a "managed no deal".
    I'd not put anything past today's Tory Party.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    john80 wrote:

But I thought the UK laws no longer applied when we joined the EU? You know 'Take Back Control' and all that?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    So far

Malthouse
    Stewart
    Javid

have met with NI business organisations to discuss the backstop and their plans.

It'll be interesting to see who else does.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • john80
    john80 wrote:
    john80 wrote:

I would propose that people maybe don't take the fact the Sun have not done an expose on him as a belief that he is whiter than white. Poland was the only country that did not vote for him in his current position. I wonder why that would be.

https://www.dw.com/en/donald-tusks-elep ... a-46168594
  • rjsterry
    john80 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    john80 wrote:

I would propose that people maybe don't take the fact the Sun have not done an expose on him as a belief that he is whiter than white. Poland was the only country that did not vote for him in his current position. I wonder why that would be.

https://www.dw.com/en/donald-tusks-elep ... a-46168594

Hard right party investigates former centrist who has presided over official sanctions against that party over its abuse of the rule of law. Who'd have thought?

Could we at least limit ourselves to candidates who are actual party members, or shall we start considering fictional characters as well?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    So far

Malthouse
    Stewart
    Javid

have met with NI business organisations to discuss the backstop and their plans.

Tells you a lot, doesn't it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    So far

Malthouse
    Stewart
    Javid

Would they not be better off talking to the DUP?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Dear redacted

Please see below a statement from the Rt Hon Brandon Lewis MP, Chairman of the Conservative Party, and the Rt Hon Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP, Acting Joint Chairs of the 1922 Committee:

"Following meetings of the 1922 Executive Committee and the Conservative Party Board today, the rules on how the Conservative Party leadership contest will proceed have been agreed.

After the Prime Minister formally steps down as Leader of the Conservative & Unionist Party, the process to elect a new Leader will begin. The Rt Hon Theresa May MP will remain Acting Leader of the Party until a successor is appointed.

A call for candidates will be made at 5pm on Friday 7th June. Nominations will be received from 10am Monday 10th June 2019 and will close at 5pm on the same day.

Candidates will be required to submit a nomination including a proposer, a seconder and six other Members of Parliament supporting their candidacy.

Ballots of MPs will then be held over the course of the following two weeks.

After the first ballot, any candidate receiving sixteen votes or fewer will be eliminated.

After the second ballot, any candidate receiving thirty two votes or fewer will be eliminated.

If the ballot thresholds are met by all candidates, then the candidate with the lowest number of votes will be eliminated.

Balloting will continue until two candidates remain.

The first ballot will take place on Thursday 13th June, from 10am to 12pm. Further ballots are scheduled for 18th June, 19th June and 20th June.

The Rt Hon Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP will act as returning officers for the election.

Once the parliamentary process is completed, CCHQ will assume responsibility for the administration of hustings and the vote of the Conservative Party membership. This stage of the process will be completed in the week beginning Monday 22nd July, with the first membership hustings planned for the 22nd June 2019.

Further details will be published in due course."

The Rt Hon Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP, Acting Joint Chairs of the 1922 Committee

The Rt Hon Brandon Lewis MP, Chairman of the Conservative Party
  • rjsterry
    orraloon wrote:
    Dear redacted

Please see below a statement from the Rt Hon Brandon Lewis MP, Chairman of the Conservative Party, and the Rt Hon Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP, Acting Joint Chairs of the 1922 Committee:

"Following meetings of the 1922 Executive Committee and the Conservative Party Board today, the rules on how the Conservative Party leadership contest will proceed have been agreed.

After the Prime Minister formally steps down as Leader of the Conservative & Unionist Party, the process to elect a new Leader will begin. The Rt Hon Theresa May MP will remain Acting Leader of the Party until a successor is appointed.

A call for candidates will be made at 5pm on Friday 7th June. Nominations will be received from 10am Monday 10th June 2019 and will close at 5pm on the same day.

Candidates will be required to submit a nomination including a proposer, a seconder and six other Members of Parliament supporting their candidacy.

After the first ballot, any candidate receiving sixteen votes or fewer will be eliminated.

After the second ballot, any candidate receiving thirty two votes or fewer will be eliminated.

If the ballot thresholds are met by all candidates, then the candidate with the lowest number of votes will be eliminated.

The first ballot will take place on Thursday 13th June, from 10am to 12pm. Further ballots are scheduled for 18th June, 19th June and 20th June.

The Rt Hon Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP will act as returning officers for the election.

Once the parliamentary process is completed, CCHQ will assume responsibility for the administration of hustings and the vote of the Conservative Party membership. This stage of the process will be completed in the week beginning Monday 22nd July, with the first membership hustings planned for the 22nd June 2019.

The Rt Hon Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP, Acting Joint Chairs of the 1922 Committee

It's almost as though they could have used that system to force a decision on which form of Brexit to pursue.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    rjsterry wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Dear redacted

It's almost as though they could have used that system to force a decision on which form of Brexit to pursue.
    It's almost as though pcp is adopting May's policy of can kicking to run down the clock again.
  • rjsterry
    Johnson clearly tacking to the centre of the party last night. All very well, but if he hasn't got an idea of **how** he is going to enact Brexit by October 31st then he's doomed to the same fate as May.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    I do find it very easy to see this as the final throws of the Tory party.
  • rjsterry

Throws or throes? :) I think most members are aware of that. Trouble is they have no clear ideas on what to do about it. The no-dealers will find themselves running aground on exactly the same sandbanks as May.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    rjsterry wrote:

Throws or throes? :) I think most members are aware of that. Trouble is they have no clear ideas on what to do about it. The no-dealers will find themselves running aground on exactly the same sandbanks as May.

They are stuck in a bind. Unable to get any negotiated softer style Brexit through parliament due to other parties perceived self interest and now only able to deliver no deal through ignoring parliament which will lead to multiple no confidence votes etc. which will tumble us into a general election as I think that there are enough Tories so petrified of no deal they would rather have a general election. It should be clear that Labour will also suffer from either continuing to say not to a managed deal as they have historically done to date or a general election due to no deal as without their Northern MP's they wont be getting a majority anytime soon. If you thought the current arrangements with the DUP were bad then this is nothing compared to what The SNP would want for their support to form a government.
  • rick_chasey
    typing on phone, yes.
  • robert88
    typing on phone, yes.

It's always a God exercise.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Going to be with us for a while yet then....

No 10 says May will only resign when she is confident her successor can command confidence of Commons

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... ce49a858de
  • robert88
    You know how Boris loves to be in the spotlight? Course you do.

Here's a chance to keep him there before he gets to be leader:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/ballvjohn ... TmmL7_XBXc

(after which he won't need your help.)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Mad_Malx wrote:

No 10 says May will only resign when she is confident her successor can command confidence of Commons

That page also has analysis of Gove's bold plan. He says "it’s a democratic imperative that we must leave the EU before the next general election or we risk letting Jeremy Corbyn into Downing Street." Depressing that his main reason for prioritising no-deal over delaying Brexit is that his party will be unpopular.
  • rjsterry
    Mad_Malx wrote:

They've now issued a statement saying this isn't what they meant, and May will hand over once a new leader is selected.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

They've now issued a statement saying this isn't what they meant, and May will hand over once a new leader is selected.

By Arlene Foster.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

By Arlene Foster.

Ha! Do you think the spox has just been given a bollocking by May and told to go back out there and tell all the journos that she is not hanging around for another couple of months just to ease the path of whichever disloyal so-and-so takes over.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    I mean they are all behaving like they have a massive majority and can just do whatever they want.

Apparently the new Catch 22 adaptation is based on the fact that you can't get elected Tory leader without promising the impossible.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Gove seriously panicking about his cocaine taking to the extent that he has resorted to telling voters to make their decision based on his record as a politician. I think I'd rather be judged as a coke addict!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Raab is toast. So out of 10, 2 have destroyed their careers and haven't even got to the first vote. No wonder boris has gone into hiding.
    Anyone else think it will get to members votes or will they implode one by one before next week.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Is a shame Brokenshire failed to make the start line. Having a Brokenshire as PM of a broken country has a certain ring to it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    orraloon wrote:
    Is a shame Brokenshire failed to make the start line. Having a Brokenshire as PM of a broken country has a certain ring to it.

In fairness he was NI Secretary
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!