Orla Chennaoui and the breakaway Eurosport

Comments

• Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    Ben6899 wrote:
    She seems alright but what really gets to me is there are one or two rugby presenters who are only there for looks and/or family connections. Case in point Sara Elgin who does Scrum V and BT Sport rugby presenting. Spends all the time preening and pouting in front of camera, totters around in ridiculously high stiletto heels etc. WTF. Oh, and for a ahem, coincidence, is married to Simon Easterby. Wonder how she got job because it's not on rugby knowledge.

Whereas ITV employ Maggie Alphonsi (ex WC winner, multi-award rugby player) and Channel 5 use Danielle Waterman, again ex player who's been there done it, won it, so knows about game. These ladies are there for their insight and rugby knowledge and are excellent.

Sara Elgan's dad got 13 Welsh Rugby Caps so one would presume she does know something about rugger. Certainly when I have seen her on Jonathan on S4c she appears knowledgeable about the sport. Maybe that same confidence doesn't come out when presenting in English.

One of you will spell her name correctly in a minute.

Is it PEDANT?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Wiggins makes it completely unwatchable in any case.
    Really? I think he's very good.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Absolutely. I had a pretty low opinion of him previously but I think he's been excellent in showing how a rider's mind works, what the DSs will be trying to do etc. Along with that he's been funny and really honest about his own flaws when he was riding.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Absolutely. I had a pretty low opinion of him previously but I think he's been excellent in showing how a rider's mind works, what the DSs will be trying to do etc. Along with that he's been funny and really honest about his own flaws when he was riding.

His choice of sweatshirts though is shocking.
    He seems determined to wear a sweatshirt every day despite the fact it's obviously pretty warm in the TV studio, this means he's a lovely shade of red and clearly sweating when he's delivering his analysis.
    Someone needs to tell him that you don't need to sweat when wearing a sweatshirt.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Totally agree. The analysis is lacking in multiple ways when he is not there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    Joe Totale wrote:

He seems determined to wear a sweatshirt every day despite the fact it's obviously pretty warm in the TV studio, this means he's a lovely shade of red and clearly sweating when he's delivering his analysis.
    Someone needs to tell him that you don't need to sweat when wearing a sweatshirt.
    He's clearly being paid to wear them though
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Wiggins today, (and previously I was no fan) speaks such sense with fabulous insight on this program. He’s dead right on how open and exciting this race is, and how better it is without ‘SkIneos’ shutting everything down.

I love the Giro, hate how they shut down the TDF and that’s not necessarily anything against them, it’s their style of racing which suffocates the race and vacuums out the excitement. I hope the Vuelta is as good this year’s Giro.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    Wiggins is great value ...not the best analysis from a prediction pov but entertaining and promotes controversy with Brian Smith. Loving it.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    Brian Smith is considerably less cagey when he can actually be seen on telly than he is when commentating. But that could be the effect of sharing a booth with Kirby and the restraint Smith has to generate in trying not to give him a Glasgow Kiss every 10 seconds.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    Can we not agree that the consensus is that Orla, Brad and Brian are fantastic and put this thread to bed? It’ll be one less thread for me to accidentally post stage spoiler comments on.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Paid?

Or in increasingly big double or nothing bets with Adam Blythe about what the other will wear on air..? :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

David Beckham endorsed brand. T shirt prices start at over £100.

I think all in, the Quest highlights show each evening has been excellent.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Paid?

Or in increasingly big double or nothing bets with Adam Blythe about what the other will wear on air..? :lol:

I follow Blythe on Instagram and based on his posts he is definitely being paid to wear most of that stuff, or at maybe just given it in exchange for promoting it.

Although his taste is like that anyway.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:
    She seems alright but what really gets to me is there are one or two rugby presenters who are only there for looks and/or family connections. Case in point Sara Elgin who does Scrum V and BT Sport rugby presenting. Spends all the time preening and pouting in front of camera, totters around in ridiculously high stiletto heels etc. WTF. Oh, and for a ahem, coincidence, is married to Simon Easterby. Wonder how she got job because it's not on rugby knowledge.

Whereas ITV employ Maggie Alphonsi (ex WC winner, multi-award rugby player) and Channel 5 use Danielle Waterman, again ex player who's been there done it, won it, so knows about game. These ladies are there for their insight and rugby knowledge and are excellent.

Sara Elgan's dad got 13 Welsh Rugby Caps so one would presume she does know something about rugger. Certainly when I have seen her on Jonathan on S4c she appears knowledgeable about the sport. Maybe that same confidence doesn't come out when presenting in English.

One of you will spell her name correctly in a minute.

Is it PEDANT?

Nah it's just respectful to spell people's names correctly.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Ben6899 wrote:

Nah it's just respectful to spell people's names correctly.

On a cycling forum that she is highly unlikely to read ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • classix
    classix Posts: 6
    Orla and her guests are brilliant. (I generally dislike Wiggins but must admit he is insightful and interesting). We should feel grateful to Eurosport for investing these resources and hope the viewing figures justify similar coverage for other big races.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Can we not agree that the consensus is that Orla, Brad and Brian are fantastic and put this thread to bed? It’ll be one less thread for me to accidentally post stage spoiler comments on.
    agreed, its a strong team.
  • philbar72
    the podcast done in association with Orla and the guests is also entertaining, he (wiggins) drives this one, its a great listen.
  • RichN95.
    Blythe has turned the shirt up to 11 today.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    philbar72 wrote:
    the podcast done in association with Orla and the guests is also entertaining, he (wiggins) drives this one, its a great listen.

is there a link to that?
  • philbar72
    amrushton wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

is there a link to that?
    yes, here we go.

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/ ... rt-Podcast

I find it pretty entertaining. its a weekly one I think...
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    RichN95 wrote:

Apparently spilt his lunch down the denim on he had on to start, so had to borrow one of his Mum's blouses by the looks of it.
  • philbar72
    RichN95 wrote:

Apparently spilt his lunch down the denim on he had on to start, so had to borrow one of his Mum's blouses by the looks of it.
    luckily they appear to be in plentiful supply.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    philbar72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

luckily they appear to be in plentiful supply.

Nobody is buying them :lol:
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    The latest episode deals with his shirts and the problems of people on social media. He is contractually bound to stay quiet re social media
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593

Jonathan Davies - a prime example of someone who played the game at the highest level yet is either unable to accept, or too lazy to care, that the game today is not the game he played. He's an absolutely dreadful, dreadful pundit.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    narbs wrote:

Jonathan Davies - a prime example of someone who played the game at the highest level yet is either unable to accept, or too lazy to care, that the game today is not the game he played. He's an absolutely dreadful, dreadful pundit.

The game has changed, but the basic principles remain the same. That's how he managed to play both codes at the highest level. While he may not understand the complexities of scrummaging, I'm pretty sure he still knows a heck of a lot more about back play than you, I or any of those mentioned in the posts above.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    narbs wrote:

The game has changed, but the basic principles remain the same. That's how he managed to play both codes at the highest level. While he may not understand the complexities of scrummaging, I'm pretty sure he still knows a heck of a lot more about back play than you, I or any of those mentioned in the posts above.

Knowing more about back play than you and me is a given, being able to see and explain the nuances of current back play patterns should be a prerequisite for his job. The tactical insights you get from, for example, Warburton, O'Driscoll, Greenwood etc are streets ahead of yelling 'Numbers, numbers' every five minutes.
  • I like Jiffy, he has his quirks etc but always interesting and watchable. Similarly I don't mind Eddie Butler but loads can't stand him. Guscott not great and Ugo Monye is utterly dire, drones on and makes inane comments. Least said about Healy the better.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Jiffy is a *c*u*n*t*

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster