Orla Chennaoui and the breakaway Eurosport

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    6wheels wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    Jeez lads take it easy !! My point was he over eggs it to the point where it sounds odd or put on.
    Hatch's entire commentary voice is a bit put on. He uses his 'telephone' voice, rather than his naturally stronger Lancashire accent.

Kirby is much better to listen to than Hatch over 3/4 hours, at least he can be funny now and again.

I mean.

*sighs*
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    The state of this thread.

Apologies for invading your private space. Why don't you start your own board and restrict membership to your "mates" that way you won't have to bother with the rest of us mere mortals.
  • rick_chasey

Apologies for invading your private space. Why don't you start your own board and restrict membership to your "mates" that way you won't have to bother with the rest of us mere mortals.

Don’t be so sensitive.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Who knew you had to have competed in a sport at a top level in order to commentate/talk about it.

I can only assume that all the blokes talking about sport on telly have been top-pros...

Oh.

Yeah your sexism is showing gentleman and José Been is laughing at you all.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Who knew you had to have competed in a sport at a top level in order to commentate/talk about it.

I can only assume that all the blokes talking about sport on telly have been top-pros...

Oh.

Yeah your sexism is showing gentleman and José Been is laughing at you all.

She'd better not be.
    She supposed to be commentating on the Hammer Series with Robbie McEwen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcpRGh ... e=youtu.be
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I certainly don't want to cut away during the race to listen to four more people getting on the punditry gravy train.

I won't comment on your opinion, bearing in mind your sensitivity, but I think the cut back to the studio during a quiet point in the race is to let Hatch & Kelly have a break. With full stage commentary I expect they need it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    The other, purely personal, reason for watching on S4c is that I can watch on DTV rather than through the Sky Box.

Don't know if it is my hearing but I find I can watch normal TV with a very low volume but the minute I go via Sky Box I struggle with making out what people are saying even if the volume is up at 50!!

I turn the sound down and have Cycling News live on my phone. I can watch the TV and see the report. Perfect for me. I watch the highlights on Quest and that's great as well (except Blythe's shirt today). When he is retired, they should get Adam Hansen on for 'Workshop Corner' where he'll build a new team bus from some wheels and bits of pipe while doing some coding
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    We've all been transported back to the 1950's :roll:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    A woman presenter?!? Heaven forfend!!!

Orla is doing ok. But there's plenty of other sports where its cringeworthy. Most of the women footballing pundits are no better than having a child doing the job. Sky sports having a woman doing rugby league is just embarrassing. She cant possibly have played at any serious level, because there isn't one.

Most of the female football pundits are pretty good, which ones don't you like? I actually think it's some of the men that are particularly poor - the likes of Savage and Sutton who seem to think the job is just them larking about with their mates - Shearer whose sole qualification for being on TV is being a good finisher or Owen who as in his football career has been found out now he can't rely on his pace.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles

Yeah, I remember watching the 1955 TDF live on my colour tv. :roll:
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    A woman presenter?!? Heaven forfend!!!

Orla is doing ok. But there's plenty of other sports where its cringeworthy. Most of the women footballing pundits are no better than having a child doing the job. Sky sports having a woman doing rugby league is just embarrassing. She cant possibly have played at any serious level, because there isn't one.

Most of the female football pundits are pretty good, which ones don't you like? I actually think it's some of the men that are particularly poor - the likes of Savage and Sutton who seem to think the job is just them larking about with their mates - Shearer whose sole qualification for being on TV is being a good finisher or Owen who as in his football career has been found out now he can't rely on his pace.
    Indeed, Alex Scott showed up quite a few of them at the world cup. Particularly Evra, who thought he could rock up, lounge in his chair and utter complete rubbish.

Yeah, I remember watching the 1955 TDF live on my colour tv. :roll:

I was referring to the outdated attitudes of some in this thread.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Either Orla is easing into the role, or I am simply warming to her presentation style.
    watched sundays stage early doors today, and rather liked it, Wiggins is the best 'pundit' for me, very inciteful, and no bullsh1t.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Wiggins is also genuinely funny. His impressions are phenomenal.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I think the studio has been a great way of adding some insight and break things up a little. Having said that, I'm not a massive fan of the insight Sean Kelly gives these days and maybe it would help to bring in a younger former rider to replace him who understands modern racing better. The insight of Bradley Wiggins this past weekend is a great example.

Orla seems good and appears to know her stuff. Sometimes she asks some really stupid questions, but I'm assuming they are probably fed into her ear by the producers.

I quite liked the mix at the weekend of Bradley giving the GC viewpoint, Brian giving former rider / former team manager insight and then Adam Blythe a more general rider's view. One question though - wasn't Blythe brought in to help lead out Caleb Ewan? If so, why didn't he go to the Giro?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,639

Going by what she said on the Wiggins podcast the other day, she's definitely read this thread too
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    I think people are confusing the roles of pundit, presenter and commentator. I'd agree that a pundit needs to have knowledge of the sport at a similar level and that in some sports, including cycling, the women's sport isn't quite the same with longer races leading to different tactics (in the same way that someone who has only raced in UK Continental teams would lack the insight).

The commentator needs to have detailed knowledge of the riders and route, be able to identify the riders and potential key moments then bring in the pundit / co-commentator for analysis of what is happening i.e. the things Hatch does so much better than Kirby.

The presenter is the link person who has to be able to provide information about the race and riders and conduct interviews / lead discussion with knowledgeable questions. They don't have to have taken part in the sport but are far better if they have done a lot of research or have a genuine enjoyment of the sport. Orla and Jose fall into that category, it's so much better have a presenter that knows enough to ask sensible and interesting questions. Jill Douglas is pretty good doing the same with track cycling and Balding on horse related sports. By contrast you have Sonja McLaughlan and John Inverdale who are terrible along with a load of 'pop up' sports presenters the BBC end up using when their stretched at the Olympics who are usually found on kids TV or music channels.
  • rick_chasey

Going by what she said on the Wiggins podcast the other day, she's definitely read this thread too

I mean, for shame BR.

Like a ‘70s working men’s club half the time.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    In my mind, one of the roles of the presenter is to be our 'proxy' in the studio, i.e. to ask the questions their target audience would want to raise, so more of a journalist's mentality, i.e.. you don't have to be an ex-prime minister to be able to interview a prime minister.

[I haven't watched any of the race on TV yet so can't comments on this specific case]
    Half man, Half bike
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    I tend to think the reason top competitors get chosen as pundits - Kelly, Wiggins, Shearer, Ian Wright etc - is more that they bring a certain gloss to the proceedings rather than for an insight an understanding that can only be gained at the top level. We see lots of top coaches who have never been top competitors across sports.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Depressing.

What did she say exactly? Or which podcast specifically - I can listen.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    IMHO, Orla Chennaoui has been doing an excellent job in linking the live and studio pieces, interjecting when necessary, keeping quiet and letting the panel discussions run when it’s fruitful and displaying real knowledge of the sport to keep things on track. It’s great seeing an accomplished person like her doing the job well.

On a slightly different point, back in the day, Harry Carpenter, was reckoned to be one of the best boxing commentators around but he wouldn’t have lasted long in the ring against the likes of Cooper, Liston, Ali etc. but that, of course, wasn’t his skill set
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Ridgerider wrote:
    In my mind, one of the roles of the presenter is to be our 'proxy' in the studio, i.e. to ask the questions their target audience would want to raise, so more of a journalist's mentality, i.e.. you don't have to be an ex-prime minister to be able to interview a prime minister.

[I haven't watched any of the race on TV yet so can't comments on this specific case]

Exactly, it's their job to give the viewer/listener a way in to the discussion - they should be trying to ask the questions they think the viewer would be asking.

That's a pretty difficult line to tread because the audience will have massively different levels of understanding of the sport, which is why sometimes the questions seem obvious or daft to someone with a more detailed knowledge of the sport (as someone else mentioned above). Plus also as mentioned above the producers could be feeding them questions.

In any case, Orla knows her stuff, she probably is well aware of the likely answers to some of the questions but it's her job ask for the benefit of people who aren't.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    mrfpb wrote:
    Clare Balding was a fantastic Horse Racing presenter, but I don't think she does well outside that field, but the Beeb use her for PC reasons. Sue Barker is great on anything, that's down to journalistic skills not sporting experience. John Inverdale is terrible at everything, If the PC practice promoting women keeps him off the screen, then Hallelujah.

As far as the breakaway is concerned, Orla is fine. The program is always better when Bradley Wiggins is on. He's a naturally good TV personality. (Remember the "Is it time to draw the raffle" announcement on the podium in Paris)

Claire Balding should be put down like any other lame nag. Totally over exposed I cant stand her or that smug mental case Chris Packham. BBC lowest common denominator casting.

Orla is doing a great job and i think the segment breaks up what might otherwise be a boring stage. Lets be honest the first part of the Giro has been 95% tedious I turn the sound off when Bradleys on. I cant believe he's not a drug cheat.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

Exactly, it's their job to give the viewer/listener a way in to the discussion - they should be trying to ask the questions they think the viewer would be asking.

That's a pretty difficult line to tread because the audience will have massively different levels of understanding of the sport, which is why sometimes the questions seem obvious or daft to someone with a more detailed knowledge of the sport (as someone else mentioned above). Plus also as mentioned above the producers could be feeding them questions.

In any case, Orla knows her stuff, she probably is well aware of the likely answers to some of the questions but it's her job ask for the benefit of people who aren't.

THIS
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited May 2019
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Depressing.

What did she say exactly? Or which podcast specifically - I can listen.

The Bradley Wiggins podcast, with Eurosport (#9 "Winning the Giro is in your head...").

Orla, Wiggins and Blythe all basically agreed that it's frustrating and depressing that the current state of society dictates that it's perfectly fine to go on Twitter (or forums - forums, in particular, raised by Orla) and throw shade at anyone you see fit, for whatever reason you think is remotely relevant.

I think Orla is a very good presenter and expertly elicits insight and anecdotes from the three lads on the sofa who have ridden for - and managed - teams in grand tours. This bizarre insistence that a presenter needs to have taken part in the sport at the top level is bonkers.

Des Lynam.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    I want to know how much Dion Dublin really knows about property development. Has he flipped houses at the highest level?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    I want to know how much Dion Dublin really knows about property development. Has he flipped houses at the highest level?

https://twitter.com/discokidnap/status/ ... 41568?s=21
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    The idea that generally it's women sports broadcasters who have it easy and are parachuted in without any skill in sports broadcasting rather than the ex-pros is just 100% the wrong way around.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Orla does a very adequate job of moving the question and discussion on. This gives space to the pundits to rant. Actually like how Smith Wiggins et al and her are settling in
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    cq20 wrote:
    On a slightly different point, back in the day, Harry Carpenter, was reckoned to be one of the best boxing commentators around but he wouldn’t have lasted long in the ring against the likes of Cooper, Liston, Ali etc. but that, of course, wasn’t his skill set

He would and he'd be winning, if Hollywood were writing the script. :wink: