Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited September 2020
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

Why are the jockey wheels on the rear mechs of a lot of bikes at the Tour so massive and ugly?

Less acute bend in the chain>lower resistance. Ceramic barings too.
    Does anyone realistically think this is detectable at the rear wheel even under lab conditions.
    Marginal gains innit.

Which at the top end of a sport is fair enough I guess.

Makes no sense to me for anybody else but then I genuinely don’t understand why people pay several grand for a pair of wheels.

I may just be tight though.
    Marginal gains = psychological.

It's like hypnosis. Works for some, not for others.
    Sure I remember someone from BC admitting off the record that while the science is there it is indeed marginal and the biggest gains from "marginal gains" are physiological.
    I think it is quite correct to say that BC were at the forefront of cycling tech for a decade or so and those gains have widely improved track performance. They have also translated to the road in may areas around aero in particular.
    It's not all some myth.

However, that said, the gains are small and only really make significant differences in terms of beating your rivals, which really matters at an elite level.
    Quite why bike companies get away with claiming massive savings over a 25km tt and being believed is beyond me.

The bold part will be the "gains", not the "marginal gains". 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    edited September 2020
    Pross said:

Why are the jockey wheels on the rear mechs of a lot of bikes at the Tour so massive and ugly?

Like this?

Hopefully an image now
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    When did a bike become a platform
  • webboo said:

I think that word usage development might deserve to go on the 'annoying' thread.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    webboo said:

Probably about the same time Zwift changed from a game to a 'platform'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Have no idea why people think the sock rule is bad.

Long socks on a bike are a disgrace and have no place in the pro peloton.
  • Have no idea why people think the sock rule is bad.

Long socks on a bike are a disgrace and have no place in the pro peloton.

Quite agree, rc.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    I have long socks you fokkers 'cos I live in Jockland.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    Long socks and bare ar*ed what a tradition.
  • I am intrigued why drug cheats are employed to commentate on pro cycling. Are they better qualified or are they just cheaper?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

I am intrigued why drug cheats are employed to commentate on pro cycling. Are they better qualified or are they just cheaper?

There is a scarcity of non drug cheats who have ridden at a pro level.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

I am intrigued why drug cheats are employed to commentate on pro cycling. Are they better qualified or are they just cheaper?

Oh come on. Any fule kno there was a time up until the mirror cracked when they were all topped up, all of them. So you have this timeline wall of druggies moved on into DS roles, UCI roles, podcasters and tv commentators. Is the march of time innit.
  • pinno

But they were ALL at it - some more than others.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Unsure on the best thread for this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54047347

The high street has been failing at the hands of the internet for years with no government intervention.

Therefore, I find the current panic baffling. Strikes me that this ultimately has very little to do with sandwich shops and is far more likely to do with office space and property ownership. Presumably, a fall in property values is what has our government and its lobbyists worried about.
  • pinno
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I saw this in a news article a while back: it had been tested and shown to be slightly more efficient than derailleur gears - but only up to something like 200W.

Definitely interesting though - propshaft rather than chain, totally flat and so presumably more aero cassette, lube-free? Novel and potentially beneficial. Could it be the future? Maybe, maybe not...

• I saw this in a news article a while back: it had been tested and shown to be slightly more efficient than derailleur gears - but only up to something like 200W.

Definitely interesting though - propshaft rather than chain, totally flat and so presumably more aero cassette, lube-free? Novel and potentially beneficial. Could it be the future? Maybe, maybe not...

I would imagine that the replacement cost would be high...

...which means the manufacturers would be keen to push it as 'the future'.
  • rick_chasey

I saw this in a news article a while back: it had been tested and shown to be slightly more efficient than derailleur gears - but only up to something like 200W.

It's definitely the past. Quite common in the 19th Century.
  • I saw this in a news article a while back: it had been tested and shown to be slightly more efficient than derailleur gears - but only up to something like 200W.

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that the 19th century isn't the last century...
  • pinno

I wonder how efficient it would be with a splattering of mud, sheep/cow shyte and rain.
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

I wonder how efficient it would be with a splattering of mud, sheep/cow shyte and rain.
    simple casing around it sorts that out.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    pinno said:

I'm sure they can do a special version for the Scottish market.

Fair play to them for some original thinking (well I haven't seen it before) and it looks pretty good as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

Exactly. "We started with a blank slate..." and ended up at pretty much the same answer as someone did 140 years ago.
    That 'casette' looks flimsy as hell. It would only need to shift very slightly out of plane to lose contact with the pinion.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    It's a start.

Imagine a rear wheel that doesn't have to be so severely dished.
    No rear mech.
    No chain.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have had a Sigma computer for a while - quite impressed with it, it's slightly fancy with things like cadence, altimeter, everything short of GPS really.

When I take the bike by car, the screen shows a little car graphic with the caption "transport".

How does it know?
  • webboo
    I have the same computer which suits all my needs. However although it is set in imperial measurements , it has defaulted in to German language.
  • pinno

I have had a Sigma computer for a while - quite impressed with it, it's slightly fancy with things like cadence, altimeter, everything short of GPS really.

When I take the bike by car, the screen shows a little car graphic with the caption "transport".

How does it know?

I think it simply detects vibration, Carry the bike around the back garden and see if it does the same.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Watching Giro Rosa. At stage sign on they have the teams lined up on show flanked by dolly models. Why? And what do the pro riders and the dolly models think of each other?
  • pinno
    Odd.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    orraloon said:

Watching Giro Rosa. At stage sign on they have the teams lined up on show flanked by dolly models. Why? And what do the pro riders and the dolly models think of each other?

"You go girl!"
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.