rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Why don't the Proms properly troll the idiots and insist that they close with a rousing chorus of the Ode to Joy sung in the original German? 😈

Enlighten me RJST, who are the 'idiots'?
    The other day was the Unesco International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade. To mark this the National Trust posted a handful of tweets acknowledging that a lot of their properties and the contents therein were funded in part by that trade. For some people, drawing attention to this fairly obvious point was too much. They didn't want their enjoyment of fine furniture and tapestries to be interrupted by ghastly thoughts of how it was all paid for, and were so upset that they loudly proclaimed that they were cancelling their membership. Turns out the tweedies are also into cancelling.
    You sure that those cancelling are not the more 'right on', progressive type of National Trust members? They definitely have some of those.
    Yes, quite sure.

Have a read yourself if you are bored.

I can't see anything about the profiles or views of those tweeting, but I noticed that Owen Jones has waded in...
    Blimey you really are bored. How far down the list of 2,500 replies was he?
    I imagine the algorithm spits out posters who you frequent more higher up the responses list ;-)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Why don't the Proms properly troll the idiots and insist that they close with a rousing chorus of the Ode to Joy sung in the original German? 😈

The other day was the Unesco International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade. To mark this the National Trust posted a handful of tweets acknowledging that a lot of their properties and the contents therein were funded in part by that trade. For some people, drawing attention to this fairly obvious point was too much. They didn't want their enjoyment of fine furniture and tapestries to be interrupted by ghastly thoughts of how it was all paid for, and were so upset that they loudly proclaimed that they were cancelling their membership. Turns out the tweedies are also into cancelling.
    You sure that those cancelling are not the more 'right on', progressive type of National Trust members? They definitely have some of those.
    Yes, quite sure.

I can't see anything about the profiles or views of those tweeting, but I noticed that Owen Jones has waded in...
    Nope, couple of pages down. It was boring so that's as far as I went.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite sure.

I suppose if you deal with tax a couple of pages of boredom is nothing, I'd give up soone...

Ooh look, a butterfly
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite sure.

I suppose if you deal with tax a couple of pages of boredom is nothing, I'd give up soone...

Ooh look, a butterfly
    I suppose I should be immune to boring stuff but honestly, Twitter beats anything tax has to offer.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • God, anyone who gives a sh!t about the the proms.

Quite.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Whether or not princehimoni of the Yamaha span post is really a Prince.
  • webboo said:

Whether or not princehimoni of the Yamaha span post is really a Prince.

Nigerian Prince. He has promised three foc yams to me if l give him my bank details. For customs declaration purposes. Apparently.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    That people are still doing this Bank Holiday Friday travel jam thing. Listening to the travel news, jeez why?
  • orraloon
    Why does the BBC continue to broadcast footage involving Bill Wyman when Glitter, Savile, Travis et al are airbrushed out of history? Is shaxxing a 14yo ok then?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    orraloon said:

Why does the BBC continue to broadcast footage involving Bill Wyman when Glitter, Savile, Travis et al are airbrushed out of history? Is shaxxing a 14yo ok then?

Just one?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Just one?
    But an extremely public one, if just the one.
    Those of us old enough to remember, will remember.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Just one?
    I was suggesting that only 1 came forward.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

orraloon said:

Just one?
    I was suggesting that only 1 came forward.
    My point was that younger readers may be thinking of one individual coming forward with a complaint. Mandy Smith glorified in front page media for weeks, and wasn't complaining. Neither was her mother. Public acceptance was strange.
    There probably was others.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Why are the jockey wheels on the rear mechs of a lot of bikes at the Tour so massive and ugly?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Why are the jockey wheels on the rear mechs of a lot of bikes at the Tour so massive and ugly?

Less acute bend in the chain>lower resistance. Ceramic barings too.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Should be banned on aesthetic grounds. Hideous!
  • Pross
    With all the wannabee actors out there looking for work how do they manage for the adverts on ITV4's Tour coverage that appear to have never had an acting lesson? The OAP life insurance and now huge spate of adverts for charity lotteries appear to be the worst offenders.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtAOpts0Ew
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

So, so ugly!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

So, so ugly!
    Expensive too.

• Pross said:

Does anyone realistically think this is detectable at the rear wheel even under lab conditions.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Does anyone realistically think this is detectable at the rear wheel even under lab conditions.
    Who knows.

My SS feels much more efficient than my geared bike (relatively speaking) in the chain department but that could be anything.
  • morstar

Pross said:

Marginal gains innit.

Which at the top end of a sport is fair enough I guess.

Makes no sense to me for anybody else but then I genuinely don’t understand why people pay several grand for a pair of wheels.

I may just be tight though.
  • morstar said:

Pross said:

Marginal gains innit.

Makes no sense to me for anybody else but then I genuinely don’t understand why people pay several grand for a pair of wheels.

Marginal gains = psychological.

It's like hypnosis. Works for some, not for others.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited September 2020

morstar said:

Pross said:

Marginal gains innit.

The marginal gains philosophy was hugely successful for Dave Brailsford. Either that or it was the TUE's, special inhalers and jiffy bags.
  • morstar
    shortfall said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

Marginal gains innit.

The marginal gains philosophy was hugely successful for Dave Brailsford. Either that or it was the TUE's, special inhalers and jiffy bags.
    Joking aside though, that was all part of the philosophy, push the boundaries of the rules to the absolute limit in seeking every possible advantage. No needles was the only clear anti-doping policy.
  • orraloon
    These rules being things like socks height? UCI... a bit like a FatBo gummint innit.
  • morstar
    orraloon said:

These rules being things like socks height? UCI... a bit like a FatBo gummint innit.

Don’t forget horizontal saddles.
  • pblakeney

morstar said:

Pross said:

Marginal gains innit.

Sure I remember someone from BC admitting off the record that while the science is there it is indeed marginal and the biggest gains from "marginal gains" are physiological.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

Marginal gains innit.

Sure I remember someone from BC admitting off the record that while the science is there it is indeed marginal and the biggest gains from "marginal gains" are physiological.
    I think it is quite correct to say that BC were at the forefront of cycling tech for a decade or so and those gains have widely improved track performance. They have also translated to the road in may areas around aero in particular.
    It's not all some myth.
    However, that said, the gains are small and only really make significant differences in terms of beating your rivals, which really matters at an elite level.
    Quite why bike companies get away with claiming massive savings over a 25km tt and being believed is beyond me.