Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    Mountain biking is pretty much the only thing I miss from the area I grew up.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

I once won a mountain bike race with a bike with rim brakes.

What year was that?
    Last century :D
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Re brakes:
    Not wearing through rims is a genuine issue where I am.
    Lots of steep descents and riding in all weathers takes a significant toll.
    I am on the fence. I prefer the simplicity and maintenance of rim brakes but the rim wear is expensive. I’d be more likely to stump up for better wheels if I knew they would last longer.
    Braking power vs noise is another debate to be had.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,506
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

What year was that?
    You mean before mountain bikes had disc brakes? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

I can't see the point of disc brakes on a road bike, but I can on a mountain bike. Brakes always used to get clogged up with mud.

Unless it's really tipping down, I've not had problems stopping using rim brakes either - if anything, usually I have to be cautious, especially in dry weather, that I don't grab them too hard.
    Ah yes, riding in the rain. I've heard of that. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

What year was that?
    I think they might have been V brakes which came after cantilevers. They were followed by hydraulic rim brakes before it ended up with discs. We must imagined going mountain biking in the Alps as clearly it wouldn’t have been possible without discs.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

What year was that?
    I think they might have been V brakes which came after cantilevers. They were followed by hydraulic rim brakes before it ended up with discs. We must imagined going mountain biking in the Alps as clearly it wouldn’t have been possible without discs.
    Made me think of this woman I met that ran an ice cream shop near my cousin's gaff in Italy, women's downhill champ in 91 and 93. Never mind the brakes look how spindly the forks are!

Try not to look at it from a style point of view. The ice cream was really good so definitely multi-talented.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm a USA Cycling official and during the Spring, Summer, and Fall I attend at least one race a week in an official capacity. I find it intriguing that I never seem to see a piece of equipment among the racers, with the exception of jerseys and shorts, that is the same. I see this at ski resorts too. All those people, and all of them seem to have different gear.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    Witnessed my first full on magpie fight today. Assume some sort of territorial argy bargy. Often hear the chattering call, but this was a proper set to, 4 of them with 2 getting their claws into each other and falling to the ground, lots of action and noise. Ended up with the 4 up on separate nearby roofs and trees shouting at max volume until they packed it in. Fascinating.
  • orraloon said:

Witnessed my first full on magpie fight today. Assume some sort of territorial argy bargy. Often hear the chattering call, but this was a proper set to, 4 of them with 2 getting their claws into each other and falling to the ground, lots of action and noise. Ended up with the 4 up on separate nearby roofs and trees shouting at max volume until they packed it in. Fascinating.

We saw a hedgehog fight earlier in the year.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

orraloon said:

Is this the one that went to a "points" decision?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,548
    I've always wondered why large birds of prey put up with smaller birds like crows hassling them. You'd think a buzzard or red kite would be big enough and hard enough to teach them a lesson. I guess their weaponry isn't designed for aerial fighting.
  • shortfall said:

orraloon said:

Is this the one that went to a "points" decision?
    The prize was peanuts.
  • Pross said:

I've always wondered why large birds of prey put up with smaller birds like crows hassling them. You'd think a buzzard or red kite would be big enough and hard enough to teach them a lesson. I guess their weaponry isn't designed for aerial fighting.

Indeed so - I was trying to get one or two more shots of this red kite last week, and a solitary crow seemed to make a point of going out of its way to come over and harass the kite, until the kite gave up and flew away.

• webboo
    The house where I grew up had two very large trees in the garden. Every year there was a battle between the squirrels and the magpies for the nest in them. They seemed to change hands every year.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Hen harrier. Fantastic bird. After watching many a bird of prey being chased by crows, I witnessed a bird of prey harassing a whole flock of crows and I mean harassing, very aggressively.
    I talked to a local twitcher who said they weren't listed in the local guides because they are quite rare. There was an investigation where 2 Germans were caught with Hen Harrier eggs plus some other eggs. They were doing the job on behalf of some Arab.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross said:

In Canary Wharf a dude flies a bird of prey (hawk?) around to get rid of pigeons, the gulls fly in a spiral around it trying to knock it out of the air.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,548

Pross said:

In Canary Wharf a dude flies a bird of prey (hawk?) around to get rid of pigeons, the gulls fly in a spiral around it trying to knock it out of the air.
    I saw a recent Countryfile with Peregrine falcons and all the birds keep away from them except a type of gull that spits something at them.

Other gulls know the falcon can kill them if they get a height advantage so try to keep them below apparently.

• Look at the length of a strong Crows beak though. A Buzzard could have it's large eye out with that!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387

Look at the length of a strong Crows beak though. A Buzzard could have it's large eye out with that!

That's a raven isn't it? They are a big bird and could probably kick a buzzards 'arris on their own.

I think the principle is that a lot of smaller birds will intimidate a larger one if there are enough of them. I have seen crows being "mobbed" by starlings . . .

Wilier Izoard XP
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Isn't it the case that predators in general are surprisingly wimpish in confrontation? The point being that a predator needs to be on peak form at all times to survive: they can't risk injury because if they aren't fit, they can't catch their prey, so they die. As a consequence they tend to back off much more than you would expect when challenged.

I have actually seen a buzzard show its claws to a harrassing crow - the crow scarpered pretty fast ;)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I watched this bald eagle get harassed by a single crow whilst eating shellfish in Alaska. It put up with it for a minute or so, but then snapped at the crow, which then scadaddled. The guide said he'd seen eagles take a crows head clean off.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By-88PfAul_nYmFJTkxoNFJpVVU/view?usp=sharing
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    That it is 40 years ago today that John Bonham, the Led Zep drum thumper, died. Forty years! 😳
  • elbowloh said:

I watched this bald eagle get harassed by a single crow whilst eating shellfish in Alaska. It put up with it for a minute or so, but then snapped at the crow, which then scadaddled. The guide said he'd seen eagles take a crows head clean off.

There is a short stretch of river in Squamish, British Columbia where you can see more bald eagles in one spot than are present in the entire continental US (I think that's how the stat goes).

That's intriguing.

Not sure if it's true if you include Alaska, mind you, but there are literally hundreds there some years picking up dying salmon
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    For some reason it seems to me that all you really need to make it in the bicycle frame, component, and wheel world is to come up with a catchy name and new graphics. It seems that cyclists will buy pretty much anything with a cool name and fancy new artwork. After all that's what makes you faster.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited September 2020
    dennisn said:

For some reason it seems to me that all you really need to make it in the bicycle frame, component, and wheel world is to come up with a catchy name and new graphics. It seems that cyclists will buy pretty much anything with a cool name and fancy new artwork. After all that's what makes you faster.

All that and then charge more than a decent second hand family hatchback. Seems to be a lot of people out there with more money than sense.
  • orraloon
    orraloon said:

That it is 40 years ago today that John Bonham, the Led Zep drum thumper, died. Forty years! 😳

And, because. Been seeking out videos of JB and Led Zeppelin. Bonham was just so good. Found one of a live Moby D^ck, childish forum software, which left me thinking how can someone do so many multiple rhythms, just such a good drummer.

Was too young for Led Zep, old enough to buy the albums but by the time I was old enough to be buying gig tickets they had gone stratospheric. 'kin A.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665

elbowloh said:

There is a short stretch of river in Squamish, British Columbia where you can see more bald eagles in one spot than are present in the entire continental US (I think that's how the stat goes).

That's intriguing.

Not sure if it's true if you include Alaska, mind you, but there are literally hundreds there some years picking up dying salmon
    I can believe it. My brother has emigrated to Victoria BC. Seeing seals, otters and various assorted birds of prey seems to be an everyday occurrence. My urban foxes and sparrows seem a bit low rent.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

That's intriguing.

I can believe it. My brother has emigrated to Victoria BC. Seeing seals, otters and various assorted birds of prey seems to be an everyday occurrence. My urban foxes and sparrows seem a bit low rent.
    Victoria is nice. But a retirement town pretty much. And Vancouver is a toy town. And both are pretty damn wet. But the island is almost empty north of that. Not sure I'd want to retire there, but the Canadians have a unique inheritance. Just wish they'd look after it a bit better. There shouldn't even be a question of any more old growth logging and yet even Haida Gwaii seems constantly under threat.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916
    Is there a cycling commentary school where you are forced to repeat that Nibali is a good descender