Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Why don't the Proms properly troll the idiots and insist that they close with a rousing chorus of the Ode to Joy sung in the original German? 😈
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,697
    God, anyone who gives a sh!t about the the proms.

• rjsterry
    Probably the same people who cancel their National Trust membership because the Trust spoiled their enjoyment of the fine furniture and tapestries by acknowledging how it was funded.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

God, anyone who gives a sh!t about the the proms.

There is a correlation with people who give a shiit about the royal family. And also with people called Boris.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    rjsterry said:

Why don't the Proms properly troll the idiots and insist that they close with a rousing chorus of the Ode to Joy sung in the original German? 😈

Enlighten me RJST, who are the 'idiots'?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Probably the same people who cancel their National Trust membership because the Trust spoiled their enjoyment of the fine furniture and tapestries by acknowledging how it was funded.

Result!
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

The other day was the Unesco International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade. To mark this the National Trust posted a handful of tweets acknowledging that a lot of their properties and the contents therein were funded in part by that trade. For some people, drawing attention to this fairly obvious point was too much. They didn't want their enjoyment of fine furniture and tapestries to be interrupted by ghastly thoughts of how it was all paid for, and were so upset that they loudly proclaimed that they were cancelling their membership. Turns out the tweedies are also into cancelling.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Having recently worked for the National Trust in North Yorkshire. I found there was a massive contrast between the newer younger staff and the volunteers who are often life members of the trust and also the traditional visitors. Most of the staff are pretty forward thinking and would not be concerned about the skeletons in the closet. There also seems to be a strategy to get more younger and family visitors by having exhibitions that would attract this type of visitor.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020
    webboo said:

Having recently worked for the National Trust in North Yorkshire. I found there was a massive contrast between the newer younger staff and the volunteers who are often life members of the trust and also the traditional visitors. Most of the staff are pretty forward thinking and would not be concerned about the skeletons in the closet. There also seems to be a strategy to get more younger and family visitors by having exhibitions that would attract this type of visitor.

Since having a kid I can’t quite believe how much time I now spend at national trust places.

No dogs no traffic, no litter, massive space for the little one to run around in without going near anyone.

So much so I’ve even gone and bought a bloody Barbour coat as, until now, I’ve not actually really needed a coat that can handle the elements properly.
  • rjsterry
    webboo said:

My folks volunteer at two properties in Worcestershire so this sounds familiar.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect

webboo said:

Since having a kid I can’t quite believe how much time I now spend at national trust places.

No dogs no traffic, no litter, massive space for the little one to run around in without going near anyone.

So much so I’ve even gone and bought a bloody Barbour coat as, until now, I’ve not actually really needed a coat that can handle the elements properly.
    May I also recommend a stout walking stick, green Wellington boots (with a strap at the top) and a Volvo estate?

(I do not with to impugn the jacket as such, but you will soon realise that a waxed jacket is simply one that leaks more slowly. More advanced technologies are available.)
  • I had no idea that the National Trust and the BBC proms were so closely linked.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rjsterry
    Establishment institutions, innit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Is that a Guy Fawkes mask on your avatar?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,505
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

The other day was the Unesco International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade. To mark this the National Trust posted a handful of tweets acknowledging that a lot of their properties and the contents therein were funded in part by that trade. For some people, drawing attention to this fairly obvious point was too much. They didn't want their enjoyment of fine furniture and tapestries to be interrupted by ghastly thoughts of how it was all paid for, and were so upset that they loudly proclaimed that they were cancelling their membership. Turns out the tweedies are also into cancelling.
    You sure that those cancelling are not the more 'right on', progressive type of National Trust members? They definitely have some of those.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Is that a Guy Fawkes mask on your avatar?
    Err, no. Just a Respro one I use for cycling in town, although ironically, I can't get the replacement filters for love nor money at the moment, so thankful that the air quality has improved since lockdown.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Nutters. Though it's not really cancel culture
  • rick_chasey

webboo said:

May I also recommend a stout walking stick, green Wellington boots (with a strap at the top) and a Volvo estate?

(I do not with to impugn the jacket as such, but you will soon realise that a waxed jacket is simply one that leaks more slowly. More advanced technologies are available.)
    Who said my coat was waxed?

(assumptions, etc)
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

You sure that those cancelling are not the more 'right on', progressive type of National Trust members? They definitely have some of those.
    Yes, quite sure.

Have a read yourself if you are bored.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect

webboo said:

(assumptions, etc)
    This was very wrong of me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324

webboo said:

(assumptions, etc)
    Wouldn't it leak even more quickly then? :D

When I started riding motorbikes some years ago old men wearing Belstaff waxed cotton jackets were an object of much ridicule. To my amazement an Italian company bought Belstaff after the rise in popularity of Barbour type jackets in Italy, Belstaff are now trendy over there. Hopefully that hasn't caught on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,546

webboo said:

(assumptions, etc)
    Yep, my Barbour is one of their 'motorcycle' ones. I love it but I'm not sure I'd want to be wearing it for protection if I crashed a motorbike.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,546

webboo said:

(assumptions, etc)

When I started riding motorbikes some years ago old men wearing Belstaff waxed cotton jackets were an object of much ridicule. To my amazement an Italian company bought Belstaff after the rise in popularity of Barbour type jackets in Italy, Belstaff are now trendy over there. Hopefully that hasn't caught on here.
    Belstaff are now owned by Ineos.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Pross said:

webboo said:

(assumptions, etc)

Belstaff are now owned by Ineos.
    Good to know I'm keeping up with the times. I still find the Italians penchant for waxed cotton odd given their reputation for being stylish. Cousin's wife had a fake Barbour made by Armani. A fake more expensive than the real thing, most odd.
  • webboo
    When I was a teenager, people who wore Belstaff Jackets were the ones who couldn’t afford leather ones. You could get a couple of leather ones for the price of a Belstaff jacket now.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    I'm intrigued that I had never heard of the brand Belstaff. Maybe I am a fashionista.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,505
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite sure.

I can't see anything about the profiles or views of those tweeting, but I noticed that Owen Jones has waded in...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    The trust property at where I worked, one of previous owners had been in to game hunting and there is various hunting trophies on the walls. These cause some issues with certain visitors. So they had an exhibition which consisted of hundreds of miniature ceramic Rhinos heads velcroed to the wall. You could take one if you signed and dated where you had removed it from. But the idea was just like in the wild if you took( shot) a Rhino it could not be replaced. It was to get you to think about the impact hunting and humans have on wildlife.
    The hope was after thinking about it no one would take one, however people want trophies even if they are a crappy worthless ceramic Rhino.
    So not many progressive types.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    webboo said:

The hope was after thinking about it no one would take one, however people want trophies even if they are a crappy worthless ceramic Rhino.
    So not many progressive types.

Thinking. Too subtle a plan there.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite sure.

I can't see anything about the profiles or views of those tweeting, but I noticed that Owen Jones has waded in...
    Blimey you really are bored. How far down the list of 2,500 replies was he?
    Pinnacle Monzonite