Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    alex-honnold-freerider-free-solo.ngsversion.1496602819017.adapt_.1900.1.jpg?w=780

given that we normally tend to learn from our mistakes...

In this sport mistakes are falling, hence to get to this level he hasn’t. I doubt there would be an opportunity to make 2 mistakes at that height, especially without a helmet :wink:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    alex-honnold-freerider-free-solo.ngsversion.1496602819017.adapt_.1900.1.jpg?w=780

Alex Honnold the solo free climber. The guts and how someone gets to the point they have the confidence in their ability to do that.
    I watched the documentary on his free solo ascent of El Capitan. Massively impressive stuff.

Given the level of skill and balls required it's hard to classify as trivial IMO, although I do find it intriguing how he got to that level given that we normally tend to learn from our mistakes...

Yep, definitely not trivial just intriguing. A liberty on my part:)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Alex Honnold the solo free climber. The guts and how someone gets to the point they have the confidence in their ability to do that.
    I watched the documentary on his free solo ascent of El Capitan. Massively impressive stuff.

Given the level of skill and balls required it's hard to classify as trivial IMO, although I do find it intriguing how he got to that level given that we normally tend to learn from our mistakes...
    I’m fairly sure he has survived ( obviously) a couple of ground falls. I think his girlfriend dropped him, in a climbing fall way not in a relationship way.
    He also has done lots of roped speed ascents of El Cap, during which you and your partner climbing at the same time just placing the odd piece of protection or gear. So I guess you learn what’s in your comfort zone doing that. You might not fall off and deck it but you could still fall 300 foot.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Photoshop job. The green bits in the lower part of the picture have been added to replace the wooden floor of the indoor climbing centre. The safety ropes have been carefully edited out.

That sort of thing has become a lot easier since they faked the moon landings.

Yes, he's actually lying down there. The photo has just been rotated through 90degrees.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x53s2c
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,171
    FocusZing wrote:

It is trivial - it's not medicine, it's not conservation, it's not science, it does little for mankind.
    I'm not belittling the endeavour. He has some Cojones and fair play to him and those who do it but it is trivial.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

It is trivial - it's not medicine, it's not conservation, it's not science, it does little for mankind.
    I'm not belittling the endeavour. He has some Cojones and fair play to him and those who do it but it is trivial.
    Let's put you up there and see how trivial you think it is then :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FocusZing
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

So I was right? or was I? I don't know can we have a vote?
  • pinno
    Uh?! If someone wants to put themselves in mortal danger then go ahead. Doesn't stop it being trivial.

Vote away - with whatever rationale.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

You could argue that inspiring people is part of the appeal of pushing human boundaries (sport, music, arts) and this is as important to the human condition as all those quantifiable disciplines you list.

Therefore, not trivial.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    edited May 2019
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Lots of dead looking trees on that Honnold picture. Drought and spruce bark beetle I suspect

Dawn Redwood, European Larch or Bald Cypress perhaps?

Admittedly it's not a great picture but Dawn redwood and Larch have quite a similar look to them during winter and I don't think it's those, never seen a Bald cypress though so it could be. Not sure if any of those are native to Yosemite either. The dead trees are the same size and shape as the living ones in the right of the picture so my first thought was disease. He climbed it in March/April so it could be deciduous, but the what-look-to-be broadleaves are out already so it would be odd. That and I was reading about bark beetle (made worse by drought and no forest fire policy) is a massive problem out there so I cheated. I spend half my life identifying trees from aerial photographs but it doesn't really help...

Edit: Yosemite national park posted this talking about dead trees due to beetle
    27101188185_ccf307689d_b.jpg
  • FocusZing
    People's different perspective is intriguing. I'm not sure if it's trivial.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

You could argue that inspiring people is part of the appeal of pushing human boundaries (sport, music, arts) and this is as important to the human condition as all those quantifiable disciplines you list.

Therefore, not trivial.

On that basis nothing constructive we do is trivial if we tell people about it. It's somebody good at a sport and a few people might be inspired to undertake this (relatively trivial) pastime having seen it but I suspect the vast majority of people will just look at it and say "wow, scary" and move on to the next youtube of boundary pushing activity without it having any meaningful effect on them at all.

I think that the less boundary pushing activities will have a greater effect on people simply by making that activity more accessible. I'd be more likely to get (back) into climbing by seeing a good video of people climbing protected on local climbs than this one.

Obviously, anything you put a lot of time into is not trivial on a personal level but that's not really the point.

It's trivial! :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • morstar
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

On that basis nothing constructive we do is trivial if we tell people about it. It's somebody good at a sport and a few people might be inspired to undertake this (relatively trivial) pastime having seen it but I suspect the vast majority of people will just look at it and say "wow, scary" and move on to the next youtube of boundary pushing activity without it having any meaningful effect on them at all.

I think that the less boundary pushing activities will have a greater effect on people simply by making that activity more accessible. I'd be more likely to get (back) into climbing by seeing a good video of people climbing protected on local climbs than this one.

Obviously, anything you put a lot of time into is not trivial on a personal level but that's not really the point.

But this extreme endeavour got climbing on TV in a reasonably high profile slot.

Not trivial. :D
  • FocusZing
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

But this extreme endeavour got climbing on TV in a reasonably high profile slot.

That's a good point well made. TV is not trivial.
  • rolf_f
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

But climbing is still ultimately inherently trivial.

So trivial! :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

As is arguing about whether climbing is trivial or not :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FocusZing
    Life on Earth is trivial when the vastness of the universe is considered. So really, important people like Donald Trump are trivial, even though they are always doing greatness. His daughter isn't trivial though, on any planet she'd be like well fit.
  • morstar
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

I refer to you to my original answer. If said activity brings happiness to ourselves or inspires others, it is no more or less trivial than other activities.

Not trivial :D
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The non trivial thing which intrigues me:

Either Earth is the only planet with intelligent life forms in the universe (intriguing)
    or
    it is not (also intriguing)
  • morstar
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

As is arguing about whether climbing is trivial or not :)

Or indeed arguing about anything online :D
  • morstar
    The non trivial thing which intrigues me:

Either Earth is the only planet with intelligent life forms in the universe (intriguing)
    or
    it is not (also intriguing)

Assuming there are other planets with a lifeform of similar development to hooman beens.

Would it be as dysfunctional?
  • FocusZing
    AI or strange intelligent life forms from the Universe could well find Earth's inhabitant's trivial and consequently use it as fertiliser, akin to War of the Worlds. It's all down to perspective.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    FocusZing wrote:
    AI or strange intelligent life forms from the Universe could well find Earth's inhabitant's trivial and consequently use it as fertiliser, akin to War of the Worlds. It's all down to perspective.

Would they want me to fertilise their wives? That might be fun. I once fertilised my wife - that was not fun I can assure you.
  • FocusZing
    Lagrange wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Would they want me to fertilise their wives? That might be fun. I once fertilised my wife - that was not fun I can assure you.

II just goes to show triviality isn't a trivial pursuit, intriguing though it maybe.
  • Lagrange
    You are trying to trivialise this thread.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Lagrange wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Surely the act of fertilisation was fun at the time?
  • FocusZing
    Lagrange wrote:

I think you will find I a made a valid contribution to the "Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you" thread and my effort was trivialised on a technicality.
  • rolf_f
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

I refer to you to my original answer. If said activity brings happiness to ourselves or inspires others, it is no more or less trivial than other activities.

Not trivial :D

You're probably right (which is probably the first time that sentence has been used on the internet! :D )
  • Lagrange
    FocusZing wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

I think you will find I a made a valid contribution to the "Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you" thread and my effort was trivialised on a technicality.

Yes but rather than making valid contributions can you not make trivial contributions? Being trivialised is no trivial matter.

jeez
  • pinno
    morstar wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Therefore, not trivial.

You are suggesting an assumed latent effect of this particular endeavour.

Climbing up a sheer cliff face is trivial.
    The effects of the activity may be life changing.
    Falling off could be life changing.
    The effect of the activity is not trivial but the act itself is.