Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Why do vegans and vegetarians eat meat analogues?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,142
    Why did all my open programmes on my laptop and my VPN link close down while I was having lunch and why, when I re-open the documents I was working on, does it say they are already in use (by my laptop)? More perplexed than intrigued to be honest!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    earth wrote:
    Why do vegans and vegetarians eat meat analogues?

like the taste but don't want to kill something? is it really that intriguing?

Can someone enjoy a horror film without the actor/actress having to actually die?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    Chris Bass wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Also, to what extent was the 'Blitz Spirit' just propaganda? If it was, why do people bang on about it now? A friend of mine did his dissertation on it but I didn't read it.
    Could you ask him for a précis and get back to us?

Is the average car colour grey? Three types of average, two of them would probably come up with grey. Mean and mode would be some sort of grey, I have no idea what the median would be.

Are you sure the mean average would be grey? Everyone know if you mix every paint colour together you get brown.

but then you'd need to somehow divide brown by however many colours you mixed together! brown is the sum of the colours!
    Sorry, not really thinking. My daughter also corrected me on the brown thing. If you divide brown down wouldn't you still have brown or would it be a lighter brown? Beige perhaps, blandness in colour form.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rose quartz metallic. So grey with a slight hint of faded pink! But yes, grey. There's not much choice when it comes to your 8v flat front Saab 900 Turbos these days! My car ownership record is 40% grey, 40% blue, 20% red! (One of the blue cars was a Saab so not all Saabs are grey!)
    A pink Saab then :D

Absolutely; it is officially the Pink Saab Turbo and thoroughly proud of it - I'm just vaguely disappointed that due to fading it only looks pinkish next to properly silver cars. It also has a slightly pinkish red velour interior. Some versions of my car had a red dash as well; pimptastic. I find it more interesting than black leather with a black dash, black lightling and a black headlining which seems to be the height of excitement these days - the interior of modern cars resembles that of the interior of Hotblack Desiato's space ship.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PBlakeney wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Why do people use basins in a perfectly useable sink?

Plastic is a bit more forgiving than metal or ceramic surely and it's generally too big?
    I can 'chuck' a mug in a plastic washing up bowl.

Plus with a washing up bowl (surely a basin is what you wash your hands in in the bathroom?) in a larger sink you have a space for rinsing your soapy dishes before putting them on the drainer, without diluting your washing up water.

Or have I been doing it wrong all these years?
    There is a small secondary sink for those purposes.

No, I've had a really good look and there definitely isn't a secondary sink. I counted them. Twice.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chris_bass
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Also, to what extent was the 'Blitz Spirit' just propaganda? If it was, why do people bang on about it now? A friend of mine did his dissertation on it but I didn't read it.

Is the average car colour grey? Three types of average, two of them would probably come up with grey. Mean and mode would be some sort of grey, I have no idea what the median would be.

Are you sure the mean average would be grey? Everyone know if you mix every paint colour together you get brown.

but then you'd need to somehow divide brown by however many colours you mixed together! brown is the sum of the colours!
    Sorry, not really thinking. My daughter also corrected me on the brown thing. If you divide brown down wouldn't you still have brown or would it be a lighter brown? Beige perhaps, blandness in colour form.

well obviously you are asking a seemingly impossible question but luckily one of us has some brains around here :wink:

if we use the RGB colour scale red, green and blue can take values between 0 and 255, so the mid point of each of these (rounding up) is 128, which should be the average colour, so if we set each to be 128 we get......

01-color-table.png

yep grey (corrected the spelling for those silly Americans!)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,489
    Rolf F wrote:
    No, I've had a really good look and there definitely isn't a secondary sink. I counted them. Twice.
    “them” indicates more than one. :wink:
    It is quite possible for people to have different sink arrangements.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    well obviously you are asking a seemingly impossible question but luckily one of us has some brains around here :wink:

if we use the RGB colour scale red, green and blue can take values between 0 and 255, so the mid point of each of these (rounding up) is 128, which should be the average colour, so if we set each to be 128 we get......

01-color-table.png

Excellent, glad there’s someone with brains around here. So my slightly strange theory is backed up by science. Who’d have thunk it?
  • chris_bass
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Excellent, glad there’s someone with brains around here. So my slightly strange theory is backed up by science. Who’d have thunk it?

I think calling it science is perhaps stretching the definition!!
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

01-color-table.png

Step away from the computer and try it with paint.
    Report back with the results.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

01-color-table.png

Pigments vs. light, innit. Emitted vs. reflected. Now that is intriguing.

Edit: I have found a good explanation: because pigments reflect the wavelengths of the colour they appear to be and absorb all others, when they mix you are subtracting colours from white and what's left is the reflected colour.

So if you mix cyan paint (absorbs red; reflects blue and green) with yellow (absorbs blue; reflects red and green) you get paint that absorbs red and blue light, with just green reflected.

http://learn.leighcotnoir.com/artspeak/ ... ry-colors/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

01-color-table.png

Why would I try to disprove something that supports my ramblings? I may be daft but there are limits.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I did wonder about the paint Vs light differences. Mix all colours of light and you get white, non?

Mix all paints and you get brown. My art master at school told me.

So I tried it. Brown.
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Why would I try to disprove something that supports my ramblings? I may be daft but there are limits.
    I don't suppose that you would, but nice that you know where it ran out. :wink:

In case the tangent goes off on another tangent, this tangent was about paint colour. :lol:
    earth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,142
    Watching Terminator 2 and it just had the part where the bad Terminator is dressed as a cop and chasing the kid in a truck. The truck crashed and blows up. Now I get that the Terminator can regenerate as he does walking out of the flames but how comes his police uniform doesn't get burnt?
  • veronese68
    It’s not a uniform, it’s part of him. Or should that be it?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    same as when he turned into the fat copper in the hospital - the uniform is part of the substance.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    Happening upon a fellow cyclist dressed in full Festina kit. Didn't have an opportunity to ask whether he was being ironic in an Alanis sort of way, making a statement / admission, or just didn't know / care. He looked old enough to know...
  • Matthewfalle
    orraloon wrote:
    Happening upon a fellow cyclist dressed in full Festina kit. Didn't have an opportunity to ask whether he was being ironic in an Alanis sort of way, making a statement / admission, or just didn't know / care. He looked old enough to know...

no worse than wearing Chapt3 ........

#noproblem

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,171
    orraloon wrote:
    Maybe he was a Virenque groupie.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    maybe he didn't care?

#zerocaresgiven
    #alloutofcares

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    maybe he didn't care?

#zerocaresgiven
    #alloutofcares
    Likewise Chpt3. :wink:
    #zerocaresgiven
    #alloutofcares
    #brokenmoralcompass
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    orraloon wrote:

Wearing team kit does intrigue me anyway!
  • pblakeney
    Robert88 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Be intrigued no more.
    Buying end of season team kit gets quality products at bargainlicious prices. More so for unfashionable teams.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,171
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Be intrigued no more.
    Buying end of season team kit gets quality products at bargainlicious prices. More so for unfashionable teams.

'Tis true dat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Be intrigued no more.

'Tis true dat.

dis 'n' dat exactly

#thrifty
    #annoytheclubbie

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's like this and like that and like this and uh
  • Matthewfalle
    'n' tings

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

01-color-table.png

I'm afraid dear boy there is a flaw in your argument. Colours seen on a monitor are additive while the colour of a pigment is subtractive - the colour you see is the incidence light minus the frequencies that were absorbed by the pigment. That's why the primary colours of paint are red yellow and blue while the primary colours of the screen are red green and blue.

Apologies for reiterating what has already been said, got to check more frequently.