Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Also mix primary colours of light and you get white.

Do it with paint and you get brown.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419

This has now been explained twice ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    rjsterry wrote:

Did you know that when you mix....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Did you know that when you mix....

Why, I oughtta... :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Why mixing primary colours makes white light and mixing paints makes brown.
    Always wondered about that.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,171
    Apparently, if you mix primary colours it makes white light and mixing paints makes brown.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    Why we seem to be stuck in a three to four year time loop.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry wrote:
    Why we seem to be stuck in a three to four year time loop.
    'We'. Ha ha. My time loop is about 30 seconds.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    puddles & streams of water on the road full of foam that look like the roads had just been shampooed...they hadn't obviously, but what causes that?

Is there really that much rubbish caked on the roads ?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    alex-honnold-freerider-free-solo.ngsversion.1496602819017.adapt_.1900.1.jpg?w=780

Alex Honnold the solo free climber. The guts and how someone gets to the point they have the confidence in their ability to do that.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    FocusZing wrote:
    alex-honnold-freerider-free-solo.ngsversion.1496602819017.adapt_.1900.1.jpg?w=780

Alex Honnold the solo free climber. The guts and how someone gets to the point they have the confidence in their ability to do that.

I used to do a bit of climbing in my youth. I only lead climbed using trad gear on what I knew was within in my comfort zone and routes that I knew I could do without much risk of falling. I'd leave the risk for bolted routes.

I imagine what this guy is solo climbing a grade that he knows is well within his ability
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    ben@31 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

I used to do a bit of climbing in my youth. I only lead climbed using trad gear on what I knew was within in my comfort zone and routes that I knew I could do without much risk of falling. I'd leave the risk for bolted routes.

I imagine what this guy is solo climbing a grade that he knows is well within his ability

Which misses the point. The fact that this photo might represent someone's "comfort zone" is what FocusZing is referring to.
  • pinno
    awavey wrote:
    puddles & streams of water on the road full of foam that look like the roads had just been shampooed...they hadn't obviously, but what causes that?

There's this:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 3&t=279195
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    How the "man with no arms" manages to spend all that money.
  • FocusZing
    ben@31 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Yeah, watching the film documentary he repeat climbs difficult sections and has the route locked down. I still find it incredible and is something with all the training a prep in the world I couldn't get my head around.
  • FocusZing
    mrfpb wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Which misses the point. The fact that this photo might represent someone's "comfort zone" is what FocusZing is referring to.

Yep, it would certainly be right out my comfort zone.
  • awavey
    Pinno wrote:
    awavey wrote:

There's this:

they seem to be blaming anything from detergent in fuel, to oils in the tarmac, which Im not disagreeing with necessarily as reasons, its just it was literally every metre of every road, every puddle or bit of water was foamy, it seemed really odd, and I didnt even think it had rained that much,just persistent drizzle for an hour or so
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,488
    awavey wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    awavey wrote:

There's this:

they seem to be blaming anything from detergent in fuel, to oils in the tarmac, which Im not disagreeing with necessarily as reasons, its just it was literally every metre of every road, every puddle or bit of water was foamy, it seemed really odd, and I didnt even think it had rained that much,just persistent drizzle for an hour or so
    Did you happen to see four horsemen?
    Wouldn't surprise me the way things are going.... but that's OT and not trivial. :oops:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    FocusZing wrote:

Photoshop job. The green bits in the lower part of the picture have been added to replace the wooden floor of the indoor climbing centre. The safety ropes have been carefully edited out.

That sort of thing has become a lot easier since they faked the moon landings.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Photoshop job. The green bits in the lower part of the picture have been added to replace the wooden floor of the indoor climbing centre. The safety ropes have been carefully edited out.

Yes, he's actually lying down there. The photo has just been rotated through 90degrees.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,936
    awavey wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    awavey wrote:

There's this:

The above implies built up areas and well used roads, but I've seen the same thing out on country roads and put it down to natural saponins in the roadside plants.

The older I get, the better I was.

• FocusZing
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Yes, he's actually lying down there. The photo has just been rotated through 90degrees.

Well that's a fair point. Also there is no way anybody in their right mind would go without wearing a helmet just in case they slipped and things.
  • pinno
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

They have also tried to convince us that 9/11 wasn't an inside job.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Lots of dead looking trees on that Honnold picture. Drought and spruce bark beetle I suspect
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    Lots of dead looking trees on that Honnold picture. Drought and spruce bark beetle I suspect

Dawn Redwood, European Larch or Bald Cypress perhaps?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

It would be a rather big indoor climbing centre given the floor is at least a thousand feet below him what ever the flooring is.
  • pblakeney
    I do believe that a WOOSH! is in order. :lol::lol::lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    People who think that because they saw it, it must be real*.
    Conversely, those who cannot accept that something exists because they can’t see it.

*My sister in law is a prime example. She believes everything on the internet is true. :shock:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • awavey
    Capt Slog wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    awavey wrote:

There's this:

The above implies built up areas and well used roads, but I've seen the same thing out on country roads and put it down to natural saponins in the roadside plants.

yes tbf it was very much in the wilds of East Anglia on countryside roads, at first I thought it might be some kind of run off from the fields be that herbicide or manure based, which did concern me a bit as the front wheel was busy chucking it all over my water bottle, but even passing through the villages and bits of habitation it was the same.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    FocusZing wrote:

I watched the documentary on his free solo ascent of El Capitan. Massively impressive stuff.

Given the level of skill and balls required it's hard to classify as trivial IMO, although I do find it intriguing how he got to that level given that we normally tend to learn from our mistakes...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]