Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Is the congestion charge now a misnomer?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    The ultra low emission zone is quite well named these days.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

The ultra low emission zone is quite well named these days.

VN68 pub and curry nights on hold.
  • ballysmate
    I wonder if Greta Thunburg's family bought up plastic bottles of hand gel?
  • ballysmate
    With higher chance of properties being occupied and fewer people about in which to blend in, are house burglars finding it tough at the moment? Do they have to adapt to burglary from business premises?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

With higher chance of properties being occupied and fewer people about in which to blend in, are house burglars finding it tough at the moment? Do they have to adapt to burglary from business premises?

No, my colleague's house got burgled on Wednesday night when he and his family were at home. They stole all the car keys and took his car as well as a laptop and phone.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Seems to be more of it about as a number of people fled.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    What's intriguing me, is where is/how is @awavey ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I am intrigued by how much press coverage the football re-start (or not) is getting.
    I can take or leave football but am not anti.
    However, I am intrigued that to read the news, the global priorities now are, 1, Coronavirus, 2, football.
    Loads of sport is cancelled and it gets a mention. If football gets cancelled, it affects more people due to its popularity but has no more significance than that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    edited April 2020
    morstar said:

I am intrigued by how much press coverage the football re-start (or not) is getting.
    I can take or leave football but am not anti.
    However, I am intrigued that to read the news, the global priorities now are, 1, Coronavirus, 2, football.
    Loads of sport is cancelled and it gets a mention. If football gets cancelled, it affects more people due to its popularity but has no more significance than that.

Working class people with money.

They are the punchbags for everyone. Poshos in government because they're above their station, working class because they're jealous.

Could not believe the temerity of the gov't calling out football players in the crisis conference when not even mentioning any other highly paid people in any other industry.

The f*cking gall of it all. Not least as the party in question is obsessed with protecting inheritances.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    To be fair Matt Hancock was asked in the conference a question specifically about football players salaries. No question he should have mentioned other groups too, but I guess if he did he would have been there all night.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.
  • rick_chasey

To be fair Matt Hancock was asked in the conference a question specifically about football players salaries. No question he should have mentioned other groups too, but I guess if he did he would have been there all night.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

"High earners in businesses that are laying off staff should all carefully think about whether it is actually in the firm's interests to lay off lower paying staff over giving higher earners pay cuts. The decisions will all be business and industry specific, but I'm glad Mr Reporter used the example of football to illustrate some of the challenges we all face and what we can do to keep as much of the economy in tact as we can during this awful crisis"

It's not that hard.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    Footballers aren't employees though, so the situation is different. And their contracts are usually with clubs that can't pay them without equity investment even at the best of times.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    TBH, the wages thing is interesting but not my original point. I was think more about the season resumption (or otherwise). It’s like it’s of real significance. It is to those employed in the sport but to fans and the press, it is exactly the same level of inconvenience everyone else faces who has had an activity curtailed.
  • rick_chasey

Footballers aren't employees though, so the situation is different. And their contracts are usually with clubs that can't pay them without equity investment even at the best of times.

Point remains.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

Point remains.
    Also, contracts are subject to change. Mine has as of yesterday, downwards natch.
    I've not much opportunity to jack it and move. Neither do footballers.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

Point remains.
    Also, contracts are subject to change. Mine has as of yesterday, downwards natch.

Yours might, but a better drafted one wouldn't. Hence all the football clubs that go bust.

• pblakeney
    edited April 2020

pblakeney said:

Point remains.

Yours might, but a better drafted one wouldn't. Hence all the football clubs that go bust.

Football clubs should get better lawyers then. Or the players a conscience, refer to Juventus.
    My circumstance is simply more proof of stronger partners get the better deal.
    Reference the other thread in the future.
    You could argue that the players have the strongest position but I'd counter that most could do with getting their egos burst.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Point remains.

Football clubs should get better lawyers then. Or the players a conscience, refer to Juventus.
    You could argue that the players have the strongest position but I'd counter that most could do with getting their egos burst.
    They also have a very short window in which they will earn 90% of their lifetime earnings
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited April 2020
    I just had a kick around in the garden to show solidarity with pro footballers. I were fooking great I tell thee!
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Point remains.

They also have a very short window in which they will earn 90% of their lifetime earnings
    Diddums.
    See the other thread and pro cyclists.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Point remains.

Not like they can't look for some alternative after they retire from football. The same as everyone else who has to retrain.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    How is everyone else keeping themselves cheered up?

The weekends are different than weekdays in the sense I am not working, but with the little one we can't just sit there and binge a fancy netflix series.

What I have found is we are marking the end of the working week and the weekend with different food, and I have definitely found we are (even more) focused on making the food the highlight of the day.
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Point remains.

It goes without saying that pandemic risk is going to be more thoroughly analysed in all future contracts.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

How is everyone else keeping themselves cheered up?

The weekends are different than weekdays in the sense I am not working, but with the little one we can't just sit there and binge a fancy netflix series.

What I have found is we are marking the end of the working week and the weekend with different food, and I have definitely found we are (even more) focused on making the food the highlight of the day.

Im in a different situation and my youngest is 13.

One of my daughters brought a Nintendo Swich back from uni, so that keeps some of them entertained.

There's a lot of baking happening in the house and a lot if tidying.

I'm trying to remember having an infant/toddler in the house. I think there was a bit of gardening happening, watching bees and birds more than actual work. One of my kids really enjoyed making a huge batch of mincemeat with me when he was a year old. Just adding lots of ingredients and mixing in. It was alcoholic and improved with age (The mincemeat, not the child)
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Point remains.

Not like they can't look for some alternative after they retire from football. The same as everyone else who has to retrain.
    That is why I referenced lifetime earnings
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Point remains.

Diddums.
    See the other thread and pro cyclists.

Is nobody capable of rational thought unless it is spelled out for them?
  • pblakeney
    Why should footballers be immune to pay cuts and redundancy?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

They've signed long term contracts. They don't get to quit with three months' notice either.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

They've signed long term contracts. They don't get to quit with three months' notice either.
    They do down tools though. Same result.
    Veronese68 wrote: