Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Stevo_666 said:

People who pay for the telegraph.

Does this stuff not put you off? What goes through your head when you scroll past this headline?

Pross is right, its a book review :)

People who don't read things properly before trying to do a bit of cheap tory bashing and stereotyping intrigues me ;)
    They only review books which will be of interest to their readers. Their online analytics will make this a data lead exercise rather than assumption.

If somebody could be bothered maybe they could post up some Guardian book reviews. I would be very surprised if you could not easily pull out some non mainstream whiny leftie claptrap
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    I just find it odd that you’d read something that argues from Hitler’s perspective and giving it 4 stars. Not least when the argument that is biggest mistake isn’t waging the most deadly war the world has ever seen on the premise of racial superiority and annihilating another race.

But whatever.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

I just find it odd that you’d read something that argues from Hitler’s perspective and giving it 4 stars. Not least when the argument that is biggest mistake isn’t waging the most deadly war the world has ever seen on the premise of racial superiority and annihilating another race.

But whatever.

I'm presuming you haven't read the book or the review. The first paragraph of the review (the only bit available) deals with this point.
  • rick_chasey
    Obviously not as I don’t have a subbie.

How about not having sub editors who write awful headlines?
  • TheBigBean
    edited April 2020
  • TheBigBean
    I don't have a subscription either, but first paragraphs are free and say

There are two main problems with writing a biography of Hitler. The first, as Volker Ullrich said in the first part of this two-volume work on one of the vilest men in history, is that around 128,000 books have already been written on him. The second is separating biography – the story of his life, the analysis of his personal characteristics – from the overfamiliar story of the Second World War. Ullrich’s first volume (published to acclaim in 2016) took the story up to Hitler’s 50th birthday in April 1939; this one tells the even-more-familiar story of the last six years of his life, when Hitler brought about more deaths and human misery than anyone in human history apart from Stalin and Mao, and destroyed his country....
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2020
    So why write the headline?

I am criticising the headline right? Is that not clear?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665

It wasn't, no. One for the irony thread, maybe 😉
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    edited April 2020

You criticised that it got 4 stars. Did you think they were scoring the sub editor's headline writing skills?
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2020

You criticised that it got 4 stars. Did you think they were scoring the sub editor's headline writing skills?
    If you’re writing the headline presumably you too have read the review.

I wouldn’t go with “4 stars, Hitler’s biggest mistake” blah blah.

Christ it is really very simple BB.

Not everything needs to be contrarian. Sometimes it’s just wrong.
  • TheBigBean
    I'm just surprised that you manage to criticise an entire book, a review and a review score based entirely on the click bait heading not written by any of the authors involved. I don't think that is a contrarian view.

But whatever.

• rick_chasey
    I posted the headline - is that not what the headline argued?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551

But whatever.

I'm presuming you haven't read the book or the review. The first paragraph of the review (the only bit available) deals with this point.
    I think he missed that it was a book review, got all indignant and is now trying to save face
  • rick_chasey
    How can anyone of you think that headline is acceptable?
  • Pross
    Well it seems you're the only one remotely bothered by it so has it ever occurred to you that it might be you that has the issue?
  • rick_chasey
    I posed the question what goes through your mind when you see it. It seems not much, Pross.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    What goes through my mind when I read something like that is, there’s a book to avoid. And I move on to something more interesting.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    Another attempt to score right-on cred points backfires :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross

I posed the question what goes through your mind when you see it. It seems not much, Pross.

That someone is picking a controversial subject to inspire debate and / or they're taking a backhander to boost sales. It's hardly a new tactic. For you it seems to mean all the readership, editors and writers are closet Nazis and they've picked a 'headline' that reflects their views.
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

That someone is picking a controversial subject to inspire debate and / or they're taking a backhander to boost sales. It's hardly a new tactic. For you it seems to mean all the readership, editors and writers are closet Nazis and they've picked a 'headline' that reflects their views.
    Maybe not closet nazis but certainly a sub section of society who are more inclined to think that he had some good ideas but got a bit carried away.

I would be amazed if The Guardian did not review similar attention grabbing books about Marx, Lenin, Mao, Stalin and ignoring some of their more destructive tendencies
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Over the years the contestants of the two red brick universities have gone from 'Reading', to 'Studying', to 'Doing' a subject.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    How I've managed to get three quarters of the way through the day locked down in a fairly small house and have somehow not seen my one daughter all day (and yes, she is in the same house!)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,688
    Michelle Obama has let herself go a bit...??
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    orraloon said:

Michelle Obama has let herself go a bit...??

Whereas you are still fabulously high maintenance 'Loony.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So, we're on our lockdown walk, me, the wife and a 12 month old strapped to me. We're walking along a grassy path across a heath with some slightly longer grass either side of the path. Someone on a mountain bike called from behind asking us to move out of the way so they could go past, which we did. However, my immediate thought was that it would have been far easier and quicker if they had gone round us on their "off-road" vehicle rather than expecting us to move out the way for them. Am I the one who's unreasonable?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    Path or bridleway? But d!cks gonna be d!cks anyway.
  • surrey_commuter
    I had never been intrigued by the origins of the hair cutting term “grade 4”

So was intrigued to discover that for decades I had been telling the gent with the clippers how many eighths of an inch of hair I wanted left on my head
  • orraloon
    30 minutes until the Elon Musk satellite train goes overhead...apparently..according to something I read on the internet... so must be true...
  • Pross

I had never been intrigued by the origins of the hair cutting term “grade 4”

So was intrigued to discover that for decades I had been telling the gent with the clippers how many eighths of an inch of hair I wanted left on my head

Makes more sense, I'd previously been told it was millimetres but always felt a number 4 was longer than 4mm.