Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    orraloon said:

I play Solitaire on the iPad a bit, and there's some advertising that pops up when you finish a game as a sidebar - "... from around the web" with click bait links.

Who makes those up? Today, I had a sequence including:

"Have a look at who Robert Redford is married to today!"

"Sylvester Stallone's daughter might be the prettiest girl to ever exist!"

"Genius! This tip will make your potatoes boil in half the time!"

More intriguingly, who pays for those ads to be published in Solitaire?

As do I. Incognito, no way am I logging in my MS account details.

I get the std 'people in location going mad for X. Plus generic keerap. Guess they are cookie scavenging plus IP addressing.
    That rubbish is not cookie driven it is bottom of the pile one up from free ads.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    How hearing a lot of 90s music on BBC R2 today has cheered me up. Maybe it's reaction to the past 5 years of political and now health sh1te but re-hearing the 1990s banging toones bring memories and happy feelings. Or maybe I'm getting old...back in the day etc etc etc.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    90's?! Did the Rock 'n' roll years pass you bye 'Loon?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    Hey there daddio. Like, down wiv da kids innit like.

There was a 90s theme on the R2 today, so loadsa good stuff. E.g. Radiohead (did some work for one of them), Pulp, Oasis, Garbage, Jason Nevins + Run DMC, even Steps 5,6,7,8... ah happy days.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Steps!

Nostalgia definetly ain't what it used to be.
  • pinno
    edited March 2020
    Oasis... garbage.

Nah, 90's don't flick many switches for me. Nor the brittle 80's - even though me woz a teenager them daze innit.

70's yeah - out of sight, far out. 'Us Jive 4ss dudes don't got no brains no how'.

(Anyone who can nail that quote gets double Brownie points).
  • orraloon
    Cut me some slack Jack.

Anyhoo, 90s in retrospect just seem so light, fun compared to today. I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world.... slam your body down and zigazig ah...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Watching footage of oldies getting preferential treatment at shops.
    It's like the Boxing Day sales. Zero social distancing and the one place where they are most likely to catch anything.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Weird seemingly widespread internet rumours that never reach my radar.

A couple of people at work on Friday were convinced Prince Phillip had died as they had read it on several social media sites.

This then led to discussing theories of why it hadn't been officially announced. They didn't understand why I refused to believe any of it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    pblakeney said:

Watching footage of oldies getting preferential treatment at shops.
    It's like the Boxing Day sales. Zero social distancing and the one place where they are most likely to catch anything.

Tbh it’s zero shopping days to Christmas so makes sense
  • surrey_commuter
    In Sainsbury’s panic buying today and got told off because I had two bags of chicken flavour cat biscuits and two lamb flavour and the limit was three of any item. I had two packs of custard creams and two chocolate digestives and was allowed to keep all four.
  • orraloon
    Panic buying cat biscuits? Wtf has this world become? I am shaking my head.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    We are currently sat on about 2 weeks worth of non- perishable goods as opposed to typically about a week to 10 days worth. Minor encouraging signs in the supermarket this morning but I think we’re several weeks from normality.
    I’d like normality sooner rather than later so I can avoid having to go into so many shops to keep food available.
    My preference would be to do one big shop at a quiet time and a mid week fresh food top up. Currently I have to go at opening time to get stuff that is there and it is fair to say I am not alone in my approach.
  • surrey_commuter
    orraloon said:

Panic buying cat biscuits? Wtf has this world become? I am shaking my head.

I panic buy everything, so much more exciting than shopping.
  • surrey_commuter
    morstar said:

We are currently sat on about 2 weeks worth of non- perishable goods as opposed to typically about a week to 10 days worth. Minor encouraging signs in the supermarket this morning but I think we’re several weeks from normality.
    I’d like normality sooner rather than later so I can avoid having to go into so many shops to keep food available.
    My preference would be to do one big shop at a quiet time and a mid week fresh food top up. Currently I have to go at opening time to get stuff that is there and it is fair to say I am not alone in my approach.

Normality could be way in the distance. Apparently one third of all household meals are eaten out of the home. That implies the weekly shop could have increased by a similar number.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

morstar said:

Normality could be way in the distance. Apparently one third of all household meals are eaten out of the home. That implies the weekly shop could have increased by a similar number.
    My local chip shop was stupidly busy on Friday after the pubs and restaurants were shut and the wait for my Saturday night Indian was well over an hour but I suspect takeaways will close soon (McDonald's are closing from today) so that's yet more food that needs buying.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

morstar said:

My local chip shop was stupidly busy on Friday after the pubs and restaurants were shut and the wait for my Saturday night Indian was well over an hour but I suspect takeaways will close soon (McDonald's are closing from today) so that's yet more food that needs buying.
    And unfortunately, each household serving itself rather than using a central distribution hub it is a less efficient way to distribute food so will increase demand disproportionately.

It's a tricky balance. Arguably takeaways are part of a supply & demand solution due to their efficiencies but conversely they are bad from a social isolation perspective. As a business owner, you are putting colleagues (quite possibly friends) and customers in a high exposure situation.
  • rick_chasey

morstar said:

The local food wholesalers ( to restaurants) here are offering home delivery.

It's fine until you realise you need a bit of industry knowledge to navigate their brochure.
  • surrey_commuter

morstar said:

It's fine until you realise you need a bit of industry knowledge to navigate their brochure.
    A good example of the adaptability of capitalism
  • Pross

morstar said:

Surprised it took so long. The care company my wife works for tried to get some essentials from one of the local catering suppliers as they sell cleaning products, hand gel etc. but they wouldn't let them register. In the end they got it from them via the company owner's sister who has a burger van. This was the day after restaurants were asked to close and you'd have thought a new source of business to supply would be welcome.
  • rick_chasey

morstar said:

A good example of the adaptability of capitalism
    Indeed. I was quite curious to try but maybe I was on it too soon as the entire process was quite impenetrable. A lot of jargon and codes that meant nothing to me. It's not like going to a supermarket (or like they show on the telly), perhaps unsurprisingly.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    We have beautiful countryside right outside our back door, including a really nice footpath that follows an old drovers' road.

Scattered along it for a length of half a mile, half buried in the mud and the weeds in the verge, are dozens of old galvanised steel buckets. They had obviously been there a long time when we first moved in 13 ( :o) years ago

Why?
  • Pross

We have beautiful countryside right outside our back door, including a really nice footpath that follows an old drovers' road.

Scattered along it for a length of half a mile, half buried in the mud and the weeds in the verge, are dozens of old galvanised steel buckets. They had obviously been there a long time when we first moved in 13 ( :o) years ago

Why?

Relics from foot and mouth?
  • pinno

Why?

Maybe, suddenly someone realised that the term 'bucket list' was metaphorical.
  • morstar
    Email from car dealership today informing of their Covid plans and the closure of sales functions.
    Email just now telling me it is the perfect time to upgrade my vehicle.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    morstar said:

Email from car dealership today informing of their Covid plans and the closure of sales functions.
    Email just now telling me it is the perfect time to upgrade my vehicle.

This goes in the 'desperate marketing' file. I'm expecting Private Eye to have a bumper crop.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I wonder if the McCanns are following the advice to stay in with their family?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

I wonder if the McCanns are following the advice to stay in with their family?

Harsh but very funny.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Does going for Tapas count?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    shortfall said:

Does going for Tapas count?

If you can find take away tapas that's OK isn't it?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]