Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Wait a minute, footballers who earn 100k per week only have a short period of time to earn it?!
    You mean 10 weeks work at that rate is not enough to live on for...
    Even the 'lower' paid - 20k per week. You can save a helluva lot of money @ 20k per week.
    Messi - 400k per week*. Not £400 per week, £400,000 per week.

*Not including sponsorship and bonuses. Though the tax man might have a bit of a bite out of his pay packet.

Take a bloody pay cut and get on with it. Of all the professions, they can afford a paycut.

Let's get some perspective.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Why should footballers be immune to pay cuts and redundancy?

They've signed long term contracts. They don't get to quit with three months' notice either.
    They do down tools though. Same result.
    And clubs are within their rights to sue them for breach of contract. They don't typically as they reach a negotiated settlement I.e. another club buying them out of their contract.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484

How is everyone else keeping themselves cheered up?

The weekends are different than weekdays in the sense I am not working, but with the little one we can't just sit there and binge a fancy netflix series.

What I have found is we are marking the end of the working week and the weekend with different food, and I have definitely found we are (even more) focused on making the food the highlight of the day.

Getting outside. Listening to the blackbird do his R2-D2 impression every evening. This weekend, making a start on the garden. And making/fixing things.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Currently watching Four Kids and It and they are supposed to be at the British coast. I just checked and it was filmed in Cornwall but the scenes where they were driving were definitely not UK roads. They were driving on the left but you could see speed signs in km/h and direction signs were the wrong colour. It made me wonder why they didn't just film on UK roads and also what roads they used. The motorways were too big to be Ireland and I'd have said Spain if it hadn't been for the driving on the left.

I was tempted to put it in the trivially annoying thread for getting such a blatant detail wrong.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    edited April 2020

How is everyone else keeping themselves cheered up?

The weekends are different than weekdays in the sense I am not working, but with the little one we can't just sit there and binge a fancy netflix series.

What I have found is we are marking the end of the working week and the weekend with different food, and I have definitely found we are (even more) focused on making the food the highlight of the day.

TBH I don't need much cheering up for some reason.

Food, drink, walking the dogs in the woods, spot of exercise and a bit of a lie in on a morning are a good start. Making an extra effort to keep in touch with friends etc virtually. Get stuck into a movie or a half decent tv programme on an evening. Do a spot of shopping for the local oldies.

Keeping doing stuff and not getting bored are the main things. Weekends can be trickier like you say.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Do a spot of shopping for the local oldies.

Did you?!

Yeah, get stuck into something. This could be worse. It could be November.

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Did you?!

Yep, we've been to Tesco and got their stuff a couple of times now. Got the time. Tried to talk them out of getting bottled water as it was ferkin pointless but it's their money...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Why should footballers be immune to pay cuts and redundancy?

They've signed long term contracts. They don't get to quit with three months' notice either.
    They do down tools though. Same result.
    And clubs are within their rights to sue them for breach of contract. They don't typically as they reach a negotiated settlement I.e. another club buying them out of their contract.

The FA seem to be onboard with my opinion.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    The premier league clubs can ask and many of the players will no doubt accept. There's no point having a lucrative contract with an insolvent entity.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Did you?!

Yep, we've been to Tesco and got their stuff a couple of times now. Got the time. Tried to talk them out of getting bottled water as it was ferkin pointless but it's their money...

Well done. In my street we're trying to look out for each other and ask if anyone else needs stuff from where we're going.

Ocado, I see, has said they're stopping delivering bottled water for now... literally a waste of space.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Did you?!

Well done. In my street we're trying to look out for each other and ask if anyone else needs stuff from where we're going.

Ocado, I see, has said they're stopping delivering bottled water for now... literally a waste of space.
    Good on you Brian as well.

Also you never know when you might need someone to do you a favour if you have to stay in for 7/14 days.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,233
    Can’t risk it with the Mrs as she as asthma.
  • Stevo_666

You mean shoppig for oldies?

Low risk IMO as long as you stick to the distancing measures at the supermarket and usual wash hands procedures etc. They're even disinfecting the trolley handles before they hand you a trolley down at my local Waitrose!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    edited April 2020
    Anyone told Bono that Ed O’Brien (EOB - Shangri-La) is ripping him off?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Low risk IMO as long as you stick to the distancing measures at the supermarket and usual wash hands procedures etc. They're even disinfecting the trolley handles before they hand you a trolley down at my local Waitrose!
    For her peace of mind I've not left the house since the lockdown was announced.

We have too many friends in Italy who have shown us what a proper lockdown looks like.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

For her peace of mind I've not left the house since the lockdown was announced.

We have too many friends in Italy who have shown us what a proper lockdown looks like.
    As long as you can get food deliveries, shouldn't be a problem.
  • rick_chasey
    Yup. Lots of turbo training.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    That there's a peacock loose in the neighbourhood, giving it large vocally right now, on and on.

Not exactly native fauna, so escaped? Dumped? Illegal migrant?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Being at home all day and our 1 year old (well his birthday is tomorrow) is somehow keeping both myself and my wife occupied almost 100% of the time. Been at home for 3 weeks now and had intended to do loads of stuff on my website, do some online training, play some video games (i haven't been able to to this for months) and I just don't seem to have time!

How the feck managed it on her own i just don't know.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    I have used concrete to secure a spike for a rotary drier. The concrete is approx 8” cube. What is intriguing me is how long should I wait before using the rotary drier. It has got about 6” of spike hammered into heavy clay. The internet suggests anything up to 28 days.
  • Pross
    The concrete is just a ballast to support the pole so shouldn't really need its full compressive strength to support the post. I'd say a day or two would be fine if the pole is nice and vertical and you aren't putting a line full of clothes out in a gale. I hope you shaped the base so that it slopes away from the pole? I'd say most rotary lines fail from water getting in between the base and the pole causing it to corrode.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Pross said:

The concrete is just a ballast to support the pole so shouldn't really need its full compressive strength to support the post. I'd say a day or two would be fine if the pole is nice and vertical and you aren't putting a line full of clothes out in a gale. I hope you shaped the base so that it slopes away from the pole? I'd say most rotary lines fail from water getting in between the base and the pole causing it to corrode.

Thanks. Tried to slope it but with two kids “helping” will need to sit for it to rain.

Most impressed with myself that I had the ingredients to make concrete.
  • Pross
    By coincidence I spent most of yesterday mixing concrete and mortar to re-bed loose patio stones.

It was the first time I'd done it properly since the concrete technology units on my HNC 30 years ago. I'd done a bit of ready mixed mortar to patch things but starting from scratch was very therapeutic other than giving me a bad back (it made up for not being able to go to the beach and make sandcastles). Would have liked a proper mixing board as it made a bit of mess trying to it on a plywood sheet. Seems to have done the job.

On my college course we used to have to make the mix, do slump tests on it and then mould it in cubes to be crushed at 7 and 28 days to see if we'd hit the target strength. The thing to remember with concrete is that it only really has strength in compression unless it is reinforced.
  • pinno
    I mix mine in a wheel barrow.
  • Pross
    Left ours at the stables when we sold the horse and haven't needed one since. Would have been useful yesterday though.
  • rick_chasey
    People who pay for the telegraph.

Does this stuff not put you off? What goes through your head when you scroll past this headline?

• Pross
    Isn't it a book review rather than a headline?
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2020

Does this stuff not put you off? What goes through your head when you scroll past this headline?

Pross is right, its a book review :)

People who don't read things properly before trying to do a bit of cheap tory bashing and stereotyping intrigues me ;)
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross is right, its a book review :)

People who don't read things properly before trying to do a bit of cheap tory bashing and stereotyping intrigues me ;)
    It’s a four star review.

Beggars belief.